Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No more weekend Jazz Alley on Lyric FM?

• 28-09-2008 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

If I heard this correctly, Eamonn Lenihan just announced that next weekend's Jazz Alley shows will be the last on Lyric FM (at least at weekends). I would just like to say I for one will sorely miss the show, I can only hope that it will be replaced by something even better. It's been a staple part of my weekend for years now, and, sure, all things must change, but let's hope this will not be a case of fixing something that ain't broke.

To Donald and Eamonn: thanks for the vast treasure of musical enjoyment you have brought to us over the years! :cool:

And to the powers that be in Lyric FM/RTE: what on earth are you thinking? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

I hope your wrong, I really do. I was gutted when they got rid of Kelly's mystery train but at least they put him on lyric instead. Anything up on lyric site about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Nyquistic

Daddio wrote: »
    Anything up on lyric site about it?
    Couldn't see anything, but Eamonn did mention that he'd speak more about it next week ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Canape

FFS, this is sad news :(. Loved the show. Lyric FM really has gone to ****e now. Eamonn Lenihan has the best voice on radio imo. Hopefully we haven't seen the last of him or Donald :(

Donald made a brief mention tonight (Wed) of this coming Saturday's show being his "last Jazz Alley for some time" ... so perhaps it's not completely canned? There's still nothing on the RTE/Lyric FM website. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Hmm, I wonder what the hell is up? Used to listen to it while working last year, they'll be lonely shifts now :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

Jazz is dead! :(

kawaii wrote: »
    Na, it's just called contemporary classical now. Long live jazz! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭Rigsby

kawaii wrote: »

As Frank Zappa once said : "Jazz is not dead...... it just smells funny". :D

I admit I did n't listen to "Jazz Alley" very often. Any time I did tune in it always seemed to be featuring mainstream jazz. Maybe it was just when I tuned in. Anyway, as one of the few stations playing jazz, it will be sadly missed.

Yep ... it's official. Apparently Donald will still do the Wednesday show, but, to quote him tonight, "... if you have been, and especially if you have been for the last nine-and-a-half years, thanks for listening."

Thank you, Donald!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭ciaranr

This can't be! Jazz Alley has been a staple of my Saturday nights. Is there anyone that can be contacted to get a reason why? Surely they could have given us a reason or an indication that the show will be replaced by something else?

• Advertisement

They seem to be shifting all the programmes around on Lyric. More than likely some bored incompetent in the vaults of RTE somewhere trying to justify his existence. Well there goes my last reason for paying the TV License Fine ... :mad:

So here's what we know:

Wednesday's Jazz Alley will remain at 7:00pm, presented by Donald :)
    Saturday and Sunday's Jazz Alley is canned :mad:
    Friday night's Third Wave is canned :mad:
    Eamonn will present a new show "After Hours", late on Saturday night :D

Next Friday night at 10:30pm will be the last Third Wave. :mad:

(As an aside, were you aware that even if you chuck both your TV and your radio out the window, RTE's Thought Police can still impose their fine on your car radio??? :eek: Surely this is a matter for the European Commission for Human Rights, seeing as it's not possible these days to get a car without a radio?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭real rocker

Hello
    Pity about the demise of Jazz Alley Saturdays & Sundays.
    Why not try Jazzorama on 103.2 Dublin City FM or online.It transmits each Saturday at 5.00pm featuring all types of jazz with a worldwide cast of musicians.
    Hope you can make it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭real rocker

The Christmas Jazzorama special will be on air Saturday 20th.December 2008 from 5 to 6.00pm.
    Check www.dublincityfm.ie or 103.2 Dublin City FM

Jazz interpretations of Christmas favourites offer a new dimension to what can easily become tiring and repetitive.

Why not join myself Sean Brophy to hear the likes of Bill Evans,Ella Fitzgerald,Diana Krall,The Staple Singers,Jimmy Smith and others as we jazz up your Christmas.

Jazzorama 103.2 Dublin City FM Saturdays 5.00 to 6.00PM

Advertisement