Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

October budget - motorists

Options
  • 28-09-2008 8:47pm

Anyone hazard a guess as to how this will effect motorists?
    Anyone hear anything on the grapevine?

Anyone taxing their car for a year before the budget?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

i would be thinking
    - road tax will go up across the board, percentage wise i'd expect the biggest increases at the lower end
    - vrt rates will be adjusted upwards
    - increase in excise on fuels, maybe 10c a litre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

VH wrote: »
    - road tax will go up across the board, percentage wise i'd expect the biggest increases at the lower end
    Surely a higher hit at the upper end for motor tax? If a driver tries to drive a small car then surely they should be encouraged if that ties in with the government aims of environment or congestion, etc.
    I know a large car vs a small car doens't have much affect on congestion, I've explained it badly here
    - increase in excise on fuels, maybe 10c a litre

The hauliers won't like that! There'd be looking for a rebate or some tax scheme for them

micmclo wrote: »
    The hauliers won't like that! There'd be looking for a rebate or some tax scheme for them

yeah and if they dont get one the cost will pass on to consumers.
    This budget wont be about the environment but about the terrible budget deficits we are facing

micmclo wrote: »
    Surely a higher hit at the upper end for motor tax? If a driver tries to drive a small car then surely they should be encouraged if that ties in with the government aims
    yes this is all true - except the rules have changed a bit and the govt was caught a bit on the hop by all the cars that fit into the lower co2 brackets that manufacturers introduced - mostly diesel - big winners were BMW especially with the 320d and 520d - i don't think the govt intended that to happen and as such would have no qualms about raising tax

in percentage terms at the lower end €50 will make a big difference - i.e. it could be 33% - at the top end €50 makes no differece

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

This budget wont be about the environment but about the terrible budget deficits we are facing

I am afraid you are spot on there :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

Fill your tanks while before they put the price up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

QFT

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Road tax up across the board.
    VRT up on an environmental premise (here's their fig leaf: "John Gormley confirmed today that the Government's [CO2] targets are 12% off."link).
    No change to fuel.

No change to fuel.
    if oil stays around the $100 a barrel between now and the budget i'd be expecting an increase in petrol and diesel excises

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭orbital83

Motorists should expect to be targetted heavily as it can be dressed up as an environmental measure.

A carbon levy is looking likely to keep the Greens happy - that would ramp up petrol & diesel along with all other fuels.
    A guy I work with heard a rumour that punitive charges for parking in Dublin would be introduced.
    Congestion charges are more of an outsider but can't be dismissed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

I say there should be a special higher rate of taxation for muppets. Those with a proven record in muppetry would be subject to a 100% marginal rate.

Well I think it is a good idea. :pac:

maidhc wrote: »
    Well I think it is a good idea. :pac:

muppet :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

i would be thinking

Absolutely, i cant see anything major on the high end stuff because people are'nt buying them anyway now.They can increase tax bands, A, B and C all they like because they are the cars people are buying and will continue to buy.I would think similiar uppings in vrt

Wouldnt rule out a hike on fuel either, unfortunately.The motoring sector is probably the easiest area to increase tax receipts, IMO, anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

if oil stays around the $100 a barrel between now and the budget i'd be expecting an increase in petrol and diesel excises

I doubt it (but I ain't an economist!). Increased duty would be hugely unpopular given the already high cost of fuel. Better to take VAT of 21% on any 'natural' price increase on the quiet... VRT will be the big one I'd say - look for increases on the lower bands particularly.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Don't forget that there are local elections next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

kbannon wrote: »
    Don't forget that there are local elections next year!

Oh fcuk:rolleyes: He's bound to screw every last taxpayer so:rolleyes:.

Then every officer board in the country will have to sit through another hour and a half of HQ explaining the electoral strategy for 2014 every year for the next 5 years.

Don't do it to us....whatever about the motorist, I just can't handle another hour and a half of that sh1t:pac::pac:

ninty9er wrote: »
    HQ explaining the electoral strategy for 2014
    wow - that's optimism - i'd say we'll be lucky to make it thru the summer of 2009 without a general election

wow - that's optimism - i'd say we'll be lucky to make it thru the summer of 2009 without a general election

There'll be a minority government if anything, but neither side wants a general election.

FG- because they still have Inda Kinny
    FF- because of the recession
    Greens- because they'll lose most of the "green" vote
    Labour- see FG
    SF- even they lost ground in recent months

All- because nobody wants to handle budget deficits....having done, and currently studying economics I can't understand this. There will ALWAYS be recession in an economic cycle.....swings and roundabouts, gotta take the bad with the good and all that. **** happens and despite all the talk, it's unavoidable.

I don't expect to see too much slack put on the motorist. I reckon most of it will go on those selling investment property in the form of hiked CGT.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Were getting completly ripped off under the green banner, they last thing the Goverment should hit is our pockets even harder..They really nead to look into the mirror and see where they can make sacrafices and not us....

I really wish Ireland had a motorists lobby, us motorists are really crap at getting together and defending ourselves from bandits...

but neither side wants a general election.
    i agree but for different reasons - it would not be fair for another party to get lumbered with the mess that FF allowed happen/created on their watch
    ninty9er wrote:
    I reckon most of it will go on those selling investment property in the form of hiked CGT.
    are u serious - property is not selling as prices are plummeting - upping tax would be the final nail in the property market and in a lot of people's coffins too

• Advertisement

are u serious - property is not selling as prices are plummeting - upping tax would be the final nail in the property market and in a lot of people's coffins too

CGT only applies to profit. therefore no profit= no tax. There's still plenty of profit to be made and with enough warning before making the application active, it could have people trying to shift property at any price so long as they make anything at all on it, allowing FTB into the market at a reasonable price.

Property isn't selling because nobody wants it, it's not selling because people are pricing property at prices above market equilibrium .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

This country is too politically correct for it's own good, the do gooders will help out every lame duck that comes along and is the worlds worst at looking after it's own. If the governments solution to our current situation is to up taxes then we're doomed, anybody, except them, by the looks of it, can see that this will be just like applying a brake to the economy and throwing us deeper into trouble. Sorry to say whoever voted Fianna Fail in the first place can pat themselves on the back and take some of the blame for the ****e we're in now.

junkyard wrote: »
    This country is too politically correct for it's own good, the do gooders will help out every lame duck that comes along and is the worlds worst at looking after it's own. If the governments solution to our current situation is to up taxes then we're doomed, anybody, except them, by the looks of it, can see that this will be just like applying a brake to the economy and throwing us deeper into trouble. Sorry to say whoever voted Fianna Fail in the first place can pat themselves on the back and take some of the blame for the ****e we're in now.

*pats self on back smugly*

*pats self on back smugly*

I take it you won't mind us standing on your head as we sink so.;)

I take it you won't mind us standing on your head as we sink so.;)

Sure I'm an amphibian;) , but that doesn't matter because we're not sinking, we're pulling into port for winter!

Are you sure your not just full of hot air like the rest of your shower?:pac:

Are you sure your not just full of hot air like the rest of your shower?:pac:

No I'm always cold and bitter:D

This is going way OT!!

that's optimism - but shur you're too young to remember the last recession, how bad it was especially in rural Ireland and how it fcked up this country - splitting up families with mass emigration - interest rates up around 15% and 56% income tax - not nice at all

that's optimism - but shur you're too young to remember the last recession, how bad it was especially in rural Ireland and how it fcked up this country - splitting up families with mass emigration - interest rates up around 15% and 56% income tax - not nice at all
    I'm old enough to have been around, but not old enough to remember.

1- Interest rates aren't going to hit 15%
    2- the most income tax is going to increase is 2-3% at the higher rate (i.e 42-44%)

Nobody *likes* paying tax, but it's a fact of life that we have to.

Rural Ireland has an excellent opportunity to exploit its resources and provide a viable energy alternative at a lower price instead of sitting on its arse waiting for Brussels and Dublin to send a cheque for doing nothing.

• Advertisement

I remember it well, and the emigration has already started again

Advertisement