Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

October budget - motorists

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

VH wrote: »
    I remember it well, and the emigration has already started again

It never stopped....there were just immigrants swaying net migration in the inward direction. Now that they're not coming (proof if ever any was needed that we've had more economic migrants than genuine refugees over the past decade....not to be misconstrued as unsympathetic towards genuine refugees, just the fraudsters) we'll have an alleviation of the labour market surplus.

edit: Christ it's worse than the politics forum over here

@ mods, this is a useful thread even if off topic so please let it run its course.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Don't think VRT will be affected as the industry is already at its knees and an increase might stave away would be buyers when they seriously need the business.
    Road Tax however will go up especially on the old system I think as that will have no effect on new cars.

Were getting completly ripped off under the green banner, they last thing the Goverment should hit is our pockets even harder..They really nead to look into the mirror and see where they can make sacrafices and not us....

I really wish Ireland had a motorists lobby, us motorists are really crap at getting together and defending ourselves from bandits...

good idea, how do we form one?

TheDriver wrote: »
    Don't think VRT will be affected as the industry is already at its knees and an increase might stave away would be buyers when they seriously need the business.
    Road Tax however will go up especially on the old system I think as that will have no effect on new cars.

interesting points, to attempt to make up the deficits they would need to up tax on the old system as most cars are on the old system!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

good idea, how do we form one?

We need to think of a Name, Then we need to build a website, then we need to spam every motorist in the country with details about the site, before you know it, we'll have over 2000,000 signatures on a petition, this = 2 million voters at the next election, we could in theroy run a canidate in every country and take over the Country....

Don't you just love Democracy:D

tbh(i'm dealdy serious, let's do it)

• Advertisement

I`m all on for taking over the country.... whos with us :)

not the first time this has been thought of
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054961941

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I`m all on for taking over the country.... whos with us :)

not the first time this has been thought of
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054961941

+1

I'm with you, I can help a little with the PR...

Were half way to a seat in kerry sout east already:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

They're going to **** us in the ass again, mark my words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Cork4ever

Does anyone think they are going to hit the import of cars from the UK, if the figures are to be believed as much as 25% of second hand cars bought last year where imported from the UK

what could they do and what are they likely to do

Cork4ever wrote: »
    Does anyone think they are going to hit the import of cars from the UK, if the figures are to be believed as much as 25% of second hand cars bought last year where imported from the UK

what could they do and what are they likely to do

not sure, the VRT is a money spinner for the govt, while buying a second hand car here doesnt get the govt VRT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

I think they will hit the vrt on importing commercials 50 euro is an extremely small amount and i also suspect they will hit commercial road tax as the 254 figure has not been touched in a long time...i suspect this will be pushed by the green gob$hites as most the commercial jeeps are all 2.5/3 litres.

my 2 pence worth anyhow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Car-dealer

The basic economics of the current situation are that the Government are in a budget deficit - ie they have less money available IN than they need to spend OUT.

The problem for them is that as the economy declines *recession - they will have less and less money.

Prospects for the budget: the natural reaction of any Government might be to cut spending (perhaps those private jets are not a good idea now) and raise taxes. Only problem with the second part is that by raising some taxes you could worsen the problem by stiffling business or activity.

For VRT: the clever thing to do would be leave it alone, as it generates over 1.5 billion per year (although that was previous years - my feeling is that this will fall dramatically this year). However if they raise VRT, even on the lower levels i.e. the 10-20% levels, they will just discourage further importing and hence will lose tax revenues from VRT by discouraging car importers.

Just think VRT shouldnt exist at all: for the last few years they would have been billions down without it!

I am interested to see what way they go - ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

ninty9er wrote: »
    Then every officer board in the country will have to sit through another hour and a half of HQ explaining the electoral strategy for 2014 every year for the next 5 years.

Don't do it to us....whatever about the motorist, I just can't handle another hour and a half of that sh1t:pac::pac:
    There'll be a minority government if anything, but neither side wants a general election.

FG- because they still have Inda Kinny
    FF- because of the recession
    Greens- because they'll lose most of the "green" vote
    Labour- see FG
    SF- even they lost ground in recent months

All- because nobody wants to handle budget deficits....having done, and currently studying economics I can't understand this. There will ALWAYS be recession in an economic cycle.....swings and roundabouts, gotta take the bad with the good and all that. **** happens and despite all the talk, it's unavoidable.

I don't expect to see too much slack put on the motorist. I reckon most of it will go on those selling investment property in the form of hiked CGT.
    CGT only applies to profit. therefore no profit= no tax. There's still plenty of profit to be made and with enough warning before making the application active, it could have people trying to shift property at any price so long as they make anything at all on it, allowing FTB into the market at a reasonable price.

Property isn't selling because nobody wants it, it's not selling because people are pricing property at prices above market equilibrium .
    I'm old enough to have been around, but not old enough to remember.

1- Interest rates aren't going to hit 15%
    2- the most income tax is going to increase is 2-3% at the higher rate (i.e 42-44%)

Nobody *likes* paying tax, but it's a fact of life that we have to.

Rural Ireland has an excellent opportunity to exploit its resources and provide a viable energy alternative at a lower price instead of sitting on its arse waiting for Brussels and Dublin to send a cheque for doing nothing.
    It never stopped....there were just immigrants swaying net migration in the inward direction. Now that they're not coming (proof if ever any was needed that we've had more economic migrants than genuine refugees over the past decade....not to be misconstrued as unsympathetic towards genuine refugees, just the fraudsters) we'll have an alleviation of the labour market surplus.

edit: Christ it's worse than the politics forum over here

@ mods, this is a useful thread even if off topic so please let it run its course.

Can I just ask what any of this has to with this thread?

I for one am sick of inaccurate, biased, bullsh1t, blinkered, ignorant and ill-informed party political broadcasts on this forum.

This is just my opinion ... can we get back on topic now please?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Gandalf23 wrote: »
    ... can we get back on topic now please?

my sentiments exactly

Advertisement