Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you hate about working in the mobile phone industry.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Sam Vimes wrote: »

if you don't know the pin they ask for either two recently dialled numbers or the last top up amount or date. if that's not what happened when you called you either got someone on their first day or they took a dislike to you

eh no they don't, they ask where you bought the phone, if you don't know that or the pin number your screwed, stupid stupid policy, in all honesty how many meteor customers are out there that haven't a clue where their phone originally came from, let alone the pin number these people are advised to change phone number if they want to upgrade or register, there's data protection and then there's just been stupid....gggrrrr:mad:

what's the problem with 3...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

eh no they don't, they ask where you bought the phone, if you don't know that or the pin number your screwed, stupid stupid policy, in all honesty how many meteor customers are out there that haven't a clue where their phone originally came from, let alone the pin number these people are advised to change phone number if they want to upgrade or register, there's data protection and then there's just been stupid....gggrrrr:mad:

I don't think there is enough time in the night to discuss what the problem with 3 is. ;)

And also, how bad has it got when we can't expect people to remember where they bought their mobile phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

eh no they don't, they ask where you bought the phone, if you don't know that or the pin number your screwed, stupid stupid policy,
    they do sometimes ask where the phone was bought that is true. And this is a stupid, stupid policy. It's so stupid in fact, that it's not their policy. You have to give 3 identifying pieces of information and they can be anything off a large list of thing like recently dialled numbers and top up amount etc etc.

i just called meteor and they asked my name, address and pin. I said i didn't know my pin and he
    said "that's no problem, what's your date of birth?". So i don't know who you're talking about but it's not meteor customer care

can someone else please confirm the above for mr monkey?
    see my above post

edit:he also then told me my pin without even being asked

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

they do sometimes ask where the phone was bought that is true. And this is a stupid, stupid policy. It's so stupid in fact, that it's not their policy. You have to give 3 identifying pieces of information and they can be anything off a large list of thing like recently dialled numbers and top up amount etc etc.

i just called meteor and they asked my name, address and pin. I said i didn't know my pin and he
    said "that's no problem, what's your date of birth?". So i don't know who you're talking about but it's not meteor customer care

can someone else please confirm the above for mr monkey?

see my above post

edit:he also then told me my pin without even being asked

Sam is correct. Meteor look for 3 pieces of information.

This can be any of the following plus others I may have forgotten

Name
    Address
    Date of Birth
    PIN Number
    Last 3 calls or texts
    Last top up date
    Last top up amount
    What store phone was originally purchased in
    Tariff plan you are on (as far as I know, this is only used with bill pay customers)
    Password (if you've registered one to your account)

If you don't know at least 3 of these, you shouldn't be allowed to operate a phone. Meteor don't make up these laws. They just enforce them. If you ring up asking for a PIN number, they're hardly going to ask you for the PIN number. That's just silly.

*smacks monkey with a rolled up paper*

Silly monkey :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Now, let's get back on topic and have NO MORE TALK OF WHAT METEOR DO AND DO NOT ASK FOR! please ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

carphone warehouse dealers that dont understand what a port resume is.....

had 4 of them today, 4! how hard is it?if its a number that originated on the network they dont need another number to port onto, monkeys i tells ya

also indy dealers who want to change a customers tairff, update their address, renew their contract and upgrade their phone, all while the customer isnt even in the shop as they "had to nip out" grrrrrrr!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

krudler wrote: »
    carphone warehouse dealers that dont understand what a port resume is.....

had 4 of them today, 4! how hard is it?if its a number that originated on the network they dont need another number to port onto, monkeys i tells ya

ha! how about customers who cant remember if they were EVER on o2?

"i want to move to o2"

ok, have you ever been on o2 with that number in the past?

"errrrrr....no"

20 mins later when porting onto a fresh number doesnt work. yeah, you were on o2 before.

"really? jaysus..."

i learned what a port resume was VERY quickly thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Ok if its a different prefix i'll give you that, but 086 number=port resume, yet people still get ported onto new packs and it doesnt work, and yeah how people cant remember what network they were on is beyond me

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Garth

120 Minutes

I especially loved the ones who, in 2006, couldn't remember they'd been with o2 in 2005.

You can understand if someone was with Digifone and they don't make the connection but for the love of all that is holy, if you don't know what company you were paying for your phone calls lastbloodyyear then god help you.

and i'll raise by mentioning the people who dont know what tariff they're on. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

said "that's no problem, what's your date of birth?"

every time I try and help somone obtain their pin, I get the same mantra, Data Protection, I can't tell you unless you tell me where the phone was bought, It has happend every time....it does my head in, you can't help genuine customers unless they get a new phone number....stupid, stupid policy....

chrislad wrote: »
    Sam is correct. Meteor look for 3 pieces of information.

This can be any of the following plus others I may have forgotten

Name
    Address
    Date of Birth
    PIN Number
    Last 3 calls or texts
    Last top up date
    Last top up amount
    What store phone was originally purchased in
    Tariff plan you are on (as far as I know, this is only used with bill pay customers)
    Password (if you've registered one to your account)

*smacks monkey with a rolled up paper*

Silly monkey :)

Smack silly meteor heads more like it, If you don't know your pin you need to know where the phone comes from, they other information dosen't matter.....I have been told this every time I call, every manager agress in there....they have even hung up on me over it......:mad:

is this new? cos your last two posts have never happened to me.

it has continously happend to me in the last few weeks......customer comes in with their busted phone, need an upgrade, been on meteor for years, got the phone from the x as a present, haven't a clue where they got it, never had to use the pin, ohh balls...no upgrade credit for you.....

the next time you call ask to give another piece of info off the list instead of where the phone was bought and see what they say. You can't be the only person in the country that's forced to know where the phone was bought

Smack silly meteor heads more like it, If you don't know your pin you need to know where the phone comes from, they other information dosen't matter.....I have been told this every time I call, every manager agress in there....they have even hung up on me over it......:mad:

i know that's not the case because i have called meteor thousands of times, including tonight and have never experienced that

i know that's not the case because i have called meteor thousands of times, including tonight and have never experienced that

You probably on a first name basis with them.....hence no problem...

it's happend me 4 times in a row, i'm not making that up....if you don't know where the phone was bought and don't know the pin....get a new number if you want to do anything with your account....i've been told this every time..

You probably on a first name basis with them.....hence no problem...
    no i'm not. I don't know any of them and the staff constantly changes. Their data protection policy is as i and chrislad are describing it. You are giving people new numbers for absolutely no reason.

Drunkmonkey won't take the word of two people who have called meteor about 10,000 times between them. Is there any chance some people could call meteor with a made up question (can you roam in guam or something), not give them the pin and see what happens please?

and drunkmonkey, maybe try calling but don't mention the store you work in

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Tarakiwa

Never happened to me either!!

TBH I would be happy to see a company apply the strictest data protection rules possible. I like to see that my nformatoin is being treated with respect.

I'll bet you anything that if a mobile company gave out your data to a 3rd party there would be a huge long ranting threat about here.

I guess if you decide you dont like a company they can never win ....... no matter what they do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

drunkmonkey; although its not one bit surprising you are taking yet another swipe at Meteor, has it not occured to you that the customers who didn't know their PIN numbers are actually the ones who are the idiots???

Its not exactly that hard to remember a 4 digit number that Meteor give with the sim card in the first place...

Data protection is there for a reason; personally I'm glad that I'm the only one who can ring CC about my account...

And your undying loyalty for 3 is admirable in a way, but after my 3 months with them I'll never touch them again. 3 are fine, UNTIL you need the help of CC..... Incompetence is an understatement...

Only an intoxicated monkey would join that lot!:p

• Advertisement

jordainius wrote: »
    Only an intoxicated monkey would join that lot!:p

:D

i'm not making it up, i'm hitting a brick wall every time, you don't know the pin and you don't know where your phone was originally bought so fup you and your customer, I've been told this by countless reps and managers....give them a new phone number.....they usually get a new number but not the one meteor were hoping for:)

it must be a conspiracy.......

i'm not making it up, i'm hitting a brick wall every time, you don't know the pin and you don't know where your phone was originally bought so fup you and your customer, I've been told this by countless reps and managers....give them a new phone number.....they usually get a new number but not the one meteor were hoping for:)

it must be a conspiracy.......

tbh it sounds to me like it's your conspiracy against meteor

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

jordainius wrote: »
    d
    And your undying loyalty for 3 is admirable in a way, but after my 3 months with them I'll never touch them again. 3 are fine, UNTIL you need the help of CC..... Incompetence is an understatement...

My 3 bill being half of my previous meteor bills is enough to make the customer service experience palatable. Also I say it again about 3 CC problems, the majority of issues that people are saying they are incompetent to deal with are more complex technical ones and less to do with billing etc because of their 3G / data focus. Most people on the other networks are simply phoning and texting and rarely need to call CC.

tbh it sounds to me like it's your conspiracy against meteor

Nah Man, contrary to popular belief Meteor are my second favourite Network;) (02 are really in the bad books), I never have any problem with them except for this one thing! They will not accept any of the other 3 things without the pin and knowing where the phone was bought...

People give out about 3 been very hard to understand, the guy I talked to in Meteor yesterday was from India...eircom called me yesterday envening, guess what, the guy was from Africa...3's customer care are polite and resonable, you can't ask for much more, OP is right about certain technical problems but from eperience if you follow something through with them the way they instruct you to, the problem gets resolved....

Nah Man, contrary to popular belief Meteor are my second favourite Network;)
    also contrary to your previous posts ;)
    They will not accept any of the other 3 things without the pin and knowing where the phone was bought...
    you don't seem to be getting this. yes they will accept other things. they have accepted other things from me and everyone i know thousands of times in the past. in my two years selling meteor products neither i or anyone i worked with experienced this problem. as far as i can see you are the only person in the country who is experiencing this problem
    3's customer care are polite and resonable, you can't ask for much more
    you're right. i suppose asking them to actually fix problems instead of politely apologising and telling me to wait 24 to 48 hours in perpetuity would be way too much to ask
    OP is right about certain technical problems but from eperience if you follow something through with them they way they instruct you to, the problem gets resolved....
    only in the one in a million cases where turning the phone off and on sovles the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Ah lads, please don't ruin the thread by turning it into a X network is better than Y,
    It's way too good for that.
    *waits for next funny post *

right so,

i once called meteor and the person told me she couldn't help with my problem and gave me a different number to call. i called the new number and and explained the problem at which point the agent said "oh you were just talking to marie here next to me"

"is this phone available on (insert network)?"

"no"

"why?"

"because they chose not to take it"

"why?"

i dunno, cos you touch yourself at night? what difference does it make???

• Advertisement

a girl shouting in a thick dublin accent: "d'ya hav deese on sim card?"

she meant pre pay

and i overheard a customer looking at a phone marked as sim free and he said to his friend "oh they must have moved beyond sim cards"

Advertisement