Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you hate about working in the mobile phone industry.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭redmosquito

Two great customers yesterday!

Customer: Can I get a charger for my phone please, ive lost my other one.
    Me: Sure thing, that'll be 24.99 please
    Customer: What do you mean 24.99? Is the charger not free?
    Me: No, im sorry, chargers are not free
    Customer: I got this phone free with my upgrade a few months ago so a new charger should be free
    Me: No, im sorry, new chargers are not free. If you lose a charger you have to pay to get a new one.
    Customer: That's unbelievable, I wont pay for a charger.
    (Customer storms out the door muttering something about giving customer care a call!)

Customer2: Hi, I bought this phone off you this morning, I forgot to ask, is it unlocked because im going away for a few months and if it isnt unlocked than its no good to me
    Me: The phone is locked, ring customer care to ask for an unlock code but they more than likely wont give you one yet as you only have a new number with no money spent on it. Best bet is use a friends number to get the unlock code or go to a shop that will unlock it.
    Customer2: Well if this phone isnt unlocked by monday, you'll be taking it back because its no use to me.
    Me: Im sorry, but I wont be able to take the phone back unless there is a problem with it because its outside the box and registered.
    Customer2: There is a problem with it, its not unlocked and thats what I need. So there will be a real problem for you if this doesnt get unlocked and you dont take it back (at this stage getting aggressive, my smiling in his face doesnt help!)
    Me: Im sorry but this is the companies policy, so I wont be able to take it back.
    Customer2(enraged): Thats b*****it, thats your own policy, your trying to screw me over. There's going to be trouble over this
    Me: Sir, could you please calm down. If you would take a look at the back of the receipt it clearly states the companies policy regarding returns.
    Customer2: This isnt over, ill be here into you first thing monday morning
    Me: Goodbye now (Smiling, knowing I wont have to deal with him and he's in the wrong)!

Second one is long but I just cant get over some peoples attitudes and how they feel they know all!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Two great customers yesterday!

Me: No, im sorry, chargers are not free
    Customer: I got this phone free with my upgrade a few months ago so a new charger should be free
    Me: No, im sorry, new chargers are not free. If you lose a charger you have to pay to get a new one.
    Customer: That's unbelievable, I wont pay for a charger.
    (Customer storms out the door muttering something about giving customer care a call!)

Customer2: Hi, I bought this phone off you this morning, I forgot to ask, is it unlocked because im going away for a few months and if it isnt unlocked than its no good to me
    Me: The phone is locked, ring customer care to ask for an unlock code but they more than likely wont give you one yet as you only have a new number with no money spent on it. Best bet is use a friends number to get the unlock code or go to a shop that will unlock it.
    Customer2: Well if this phone isnt unlocked by monday, you'll be taking it back because its no use to me.
    Me: Im sorry, but I wont be able to take the phone back unless there is a problem with it because its outside the box and registered.
    Customer2: There is a problem with it, its not unlocked and thats what I need. So there will be a real problem for you if this doesnt get unlocked and you dont take it back (at this stage getting aggressive, my smiling in his face doesnt help!)
    Me: Im sorry but this is the companies policy, so I wont be able to take it back.
    Customer2(enraged): Thats b*****it, thats your own policy, your trying to screw me over. There's going to be trouble over this
    Me: Sir, could you please calm down. If you would take a look at the back of the receipt it clearly states the companies policy regarding returns.
    Customer2: This isnt over, ill be here into you first thing monday morning
    Me: Goodbye now (Smiling, knowing I wont have to deal with him and he's in the wrong)!

Second one is long but I just cant get over some peoples attitudes and how they feel they know all!

Yoou have the patience of a saint....Let me give you my version of both scenarios....

Me: Get out you fcuking idiot.

Me: Yea sure it's unlocked buddy now fcuk off the match is on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭redmosquito

Yoou have the patience of a saint....Let me give you my version of both scenarios....

Me: Get out you fcuking idiot.

Me: Yea sure it's unlocked buddy now fcuk off the match is on.

I have to have patients unfortunately because of being reprimanded once already for an incident which by all logic I couldnt have been involved in (that being I wasnt even working the day it happened, I wasnt even in the same county!) but the higher ups belief that the customer is always right meant I still got in trouble and was told that maybe the customer just had the dates mixed up!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    in my place meteor paid the most commission

I didn't say I switched anyone to 3 above, think you answered the conversion question yourself:)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I didn't say I switched anyone to 3 above, think you answered the conversion question yourself:)

You didn't say 3 but you said it made an easy conversion so please don't try to say you meant to a different network.

Is that really the reason you're so fanatical about 3? The reason you try to switch all your customers? The reason you spent so long here posting in hundreds of threads trying to switch people? I thought there was a bit more to it than that tbh

Btw, i have a vague recollection of meteor paying the most. I never paid any attention to the commission because, while the commission might have been lower, i got some commission on everything so i gave the customer what they needed. I found it easier than lying to them

• Advertisement

even in store as part of my job i would always mention 3's customer support because it's such an integral part of the network. I probably even talked myself out of a few sales

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Garth

My first impression about the "easy conversion" is that usually a first time connection is better money than an upgrade... network unimportant.

Garth wrote: »
    My first impression about the "easy conversion" is that usually a first time connection is better money than an upgrade... network unimportant.

i'm not sure what you mean there. how did you come to that thinking?

my understanding of it was that o2 have very high data charges and 3 don't so he finds it easy to convert people by showing them the prices. says to me that he just has something against o2 because he wants them to stay uncompetitive rather than saying they should fix the problem and i don't think you have much experience with drunkmonkey :) he's calmed down a lot now but when he started, both this forum and any phone related thread in consumer issues had at least one post from him trying to get people to switch to 3. i thought he was a shill for quite a while but it seems he's just fanatical about them.

although now, unless i'm misunderstanding him, he's saying that the reason he does it is because he gets the most commission from 3 so would that make him a shill?

Garth wrote: »

Exactly Garth, that's what I meant it to read.

Exactly Garth, that's what I meant it to read.

would you say the same if o2 had a fantastic offer and the guy was on 3?

Or would you ever find yourself saying "i hope 3 never gets competent customer care or fixes any of their other problems, makes for an easy conversion"?

• Advertisement

would you say the same if o2 had a fantastic offer and the guy was on 3?

i'd say thanks for the fantastic offer o2, why what would you expect me to say, have you considered meteor?:p

Edit:
    No

Edit:
    No

i'm a bit confused. what are you saying no to

Or would you ever find yourself saying "i hope 3 never gets competent customer care or fixes any of their other problems
    i'm a bit confused. what are you saying no to

i'm saying no to your question, I woudn't find my self saying that..

no prizes for guessing what you hate about working in the mobile idustry:D

i'm saying no to your question, I woudn't find my self saying that..

you told garth that the network involved didn't matter in your statement but now you say that you wouldn't make a similar statement if 3 were on the receiving end, which means that the network does matter.........no?
    no prizes for guessing what you hate about being in the mobile idustry:D
    to be honest i'm not sure what you mean here. maybe having to deal with 3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Hmm, interesting.

This raises the question of whether only people spending a lot of money are entitled to decent customer service.

I'm surprised that there isn't an automatic way to copy all this stuff from one phone to another.

When I bought an iPhone recently, the very nice lad who sold it to me shrugged helplessly at my request for him to copy the numbers over, and said that unfortunately this was impossible.

When I got home I looked at some online Mac help and found that it was easy enough; took me a few minutes to do.

It's a question of philosophy. When you're dealing with a customer, do you want to sell them something and have them fúck the fúck off out of there? Or do you want to treat the like a friend, and have a pleasant, happy transaction?
    Ah i have lots but my worst is customers coming into buy a 59 euro phone with a 20 euro trade up (cpw staff know what im talking about) and expecting the rolls royce treatment a la copy all my sim contacts over there dear, i only have 500 of them, shouldnt take you too long and i have few pictures of the grand kids could you please put them on my new phone " usually saying some ****e like im not very good at this technology stuff"..Argghhhh I hate customers lol Why buy a phone if you dont know how to work the ****ing thing.... cu.nts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Let's get back on topic lads please! Try and keep the arguing to a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Random wrote: »
    Let's get back on topic lads please! Try and keep the arguing to a minimum.

Thanks Random, the voice of reason (otherwise known as a mod :-D)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I spent ten minutes on the phone today trying to explain to a woman how to turn on her phone, I'm not joking, she had never let the battery die before and it did so she was dumbfounded by it, i tried explaining that the little button on top with the universally recognised symbol for power was the one to push but no job, cue a few mins of "but there no button there" then eventually "oh right i see it now" now?! now?! where the **** was it 5 minutes ago? hiding?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

luckat wrote: »
    When I bought an iPhone recently, the very nice lad who sold it to me shrugged helplessly at my request for him to copy the numbers over, and said that unfortunately this was impossible.

When I got home I looked at some online Mac help and found that it was easy enough; took me a few minutes to do.

How do you do it? I though to you had to rip your contacts onto your computer,syncronise the iphone with microsoft outlook (or similar) change filetype and then put them onto the phone.

If there is a way to copy the numbers without any of this hassle it'd be handy to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

How do you do it? I though to you had to rip your contacts onto your computer,syncronise the iphone with microsoft outlook (or similar) change filetype and then put them onto the phone.

If there is a way to copy the numbers without any of this hassle it'd be handy to know.
    zyb.com

• Advertisement

Vimes & Drunkmonkey. Stop it. I've deleted a couple of nonsense posts unrelated to this thread from it. If you have any further comments on this or problems please take it to feedback.

If you have a problem with a post from another user please use the reported post function and if deemed neccessary it will be deleted.

Thanks

first call of the morning....

Ring, Ring,

Me: Hello

Lady: My daughter bought a phone from you for me for christmas but last night it just stopped working.

Me: Oh Right, what happend..

Lady: It just stopped working

Me: Was it charged

lady: Yes it was working when I got it

Me: But when did you last charge it

lady: It was working when she bought it

Me: You have to charge the phone ever day or 2, can you plug it in and see what happens

lady: Oh i'd never find the battery, i'll wait till my daughter gets home.

Me: Thanks, call back if that dosen't fix the problem...

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭O2_Daryll

You know what I hate.

These bloodly angry smilies :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

If I see another one I'll crack lol

Ah come on Daryll.. you must have some rants from that forum of yours .. we won't judge you ;)

You know what I hate.

Getting the rug pulled from under u?:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Getting the rug pulled from under u?:mad:

:mad::mad::mad::D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

guy in last week buying credit, over smalltalk about laptops he says "sure microsoft own apple"

me: no they dont

him: yes they do, they bought them out ten years ago, thats why all microsoft software works on both platforms.

me: no it doesnt.

him: well all business software anyway.

me: so bill gates it steve jobs boss?

him: yep

so ms buying a non controlling one hundreth of a percent over ten years ago, and selling it a few years later means they now own apple in 2009 to this guy.

:rolleyes:

not a jury in the world would convict you if you shot him

not a jury in the world would convict you if you shot him

I know what i'd like to be shooting...:pac:

1648034.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I know what i'd like to be shooting...:pac:

1648034.jpg