Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you hate about working in the mobile phone industry.

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭geurrp the yard

Bond-007 wrote: »
    In fairness, I have come across some very poorly trained people working in phone shops also you do find very knowledgeable people.

Id agree with this to an extend. The place I worked for the training was fairly good, It was just alot of information to take in within a short space of time.

Things I hated were trying to sell stuff to people over the phone when there looking for things like there puk and also why people were looking for their NAC, I had to try and persuade the customers to stay with the network because we were brilliant.

Calls were so repetitive, we used to play games like mention a certain word during the call.

The customers who annoyed me were the D4 kids and men who wanted to be called Dr or prof instead of their first name or surname.

There was one bloke who only rang the call centre and never had any queries,it got to the stage were Id talk to him three times a day and in the end the network sent him a letter to give the samaritins a buzz instead of us.

The joys of working in a call centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Badger and Panda, I allways like to slip those 2 words in whenever i can...

EDIT:
    I nearly forgot Hedgehog

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭nuttlys

kippy wrote: »
    Sorry,
    just quoting this one as it's the most obvious.
    A lot of people on this thread wouldnt have jobs if it wasnt for "Stupid" people who couldnt do such simple tasks with their phone.
    I deal with a lot of technologicly "inept" people as well, however it is because of them I have a job.
    If people knew everything about mobile phones, copied contacts etc and were smart enough to make the decisions themselves they'd probably buy online instead of dealing with the salespeople in phone shops, some (not all) who make you feel like a right idiot at times, and who often times appear so uninterested in your queries that you would think they had something far better to be doing elsewhere in the shop.
    Some of the worst customer service I have seen in the past few years has been in mobile phone shops. Its no wonder to be honest. I hope all here are as helpful as possible when dealing with their customers.

I have to say that your right. Customer service in phone shops is at a push acceptable at the best of times. BUT, there is a reason for this. People who work in phone shops are sales people first, customer service people last. This is not because they are not nice people but because the networks/retail groups force them to be this way. For example:

Sales person A: Spends all day on the floor, avoiding customer problems (whether flogging it off to customer care or blatantly panning it off to a colleague) so that they can make sales. Sales person A hits targets and gets a lovely big commission at the end of the month.

Sales person B: Is new to the company. Try's to help all customers. Spends most of the first month fixing problems and making the odd sale when lucky. Sales person B gets little or more likely no commission for not hitting targets and gets jealous of Sales person A take home. You can see what happens next month.

I have a feeling your job is paying you to deal with customers problems. Thats good for you. If mobile phone outlets paid for every time a sales person fixed a problem, I'd be rich. Guess what I'm saying is don't hate the player, hate the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

nuttlys wrote: »
    I have to say that your right. Customer service in phone shops is at a push acceptable at the best of times. BUT, there is a reason for this. People who work in phone shops are sales people first, customer service people last. This is not because they are not nice people but because the networks/retail groups force them to be this way. For example:

Sales person A: Spends all day on the floor, avoiding customer problems (whether flogging it off to customer care or blatantly panning it off to a colleague) so that they can make sales. Sales person A hits targets and gets a lovely big commission at the end of the month.

Sales person B: Is new to the company. Try's to help all customers. Spends most of the first month fixing problems and making the odd sale when lucky. Sales person B gets little or more likely no commission for not hitting targets and gets jealous of Sales person A take home. You can see what happens next month.

I have a feeling your job is paying you to deal with customers problems. Thats good for you. If mobile phone outlets paid for every time a sales person fixed a problem, I'd be rich. Guess what I'm saying is don't hate the player, hate the game.
    When you deal with the public, and are involved in sales, you really have to be good with customer service, both go hand in hand, especially in the mobile phone industry.

While what you say may be correct, I dont think they'd need as many "sales people" in a shop should every customer that comes in know exactly what they wanted to buy and how exactly to use their mobile phone.
    I do tech support. However I dont get paid a fee for every problem I fix (sadly). I get a fixed wage. Sometimes my job entails giving advice about that type of laptop/PC to buy among other things that I dont actually get paid for either. Thats part and parcel of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

kippy wrote: »
    When you deal with the public, and are involved in sales, you really have to be good with customer service, both go hand in hand, especially in the mobile phone industry.

While what you say may be correct, I dont think they'd need as many "sales people" in a shop should every customer that comes in know exactly what they wanted to buy and how exactly to use their mobile phone.
    I do tech support. However I dont get paid a fee for every problem I fix (sadly). I get a fixed wage. Sometimes my job entails giving advice about that type of laptop/PC to buy among other things that I dont actually get paid for either. Thats part and parcel of it.

I agree, but within reason. I've had customers who expect me to be able to set up every little detail on their phone, record a voice mail message for them, be able to replace parts in a phone and give them replacement phones for free. Stuff like basic troubleshooting and PIN/PUKS etc, grand, but recording a voice mail for them? Come on! I personally do go above and beyond what is required of me in terms of service, but I cannot do everything. That is why we have different departments!

Oh, and my main peeve is how lazy some people are with top ups. They always ask me to put it in for them. Every time I offer to show them, it's "Oh, I'm no good with phones. I can't do it". That's idiotic laziness. People also don't realize how dirty their phones get. I've gotten to the stage where I refuse to put in credit if a phone is filthy. Yesterday, I had to send a phone for repair, I opened the back and dirt fell out everywhere. Literally. All over the repair docket. And he didn't even blink an eye as if it were acceptable!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Customer rings

Cust: (after some incoherent talk) I bought a phone from you yesterday and I haven't gotten my free credit yet.

Me: It can take up to 72 hours from credit to be processed so if it was only done yesterday, it might not be done until the next 2 days. If you haven't gotten it by Saturday, give us a call.

Cust: I rang customer care and they said my details weren't on the system.

Me: Thats because your registration is still being processed. It will be another 2 days.

Cust: So when will I get my credit?

Me: Within 48 hours.

Cust: And how long is that?

Me: 2 days.......

Cust: Right *hangs up*

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

It amazes me how many people who think they should be entitled to an upgrade even though they're months away from one purely because "their phone is knackered" and not in a general fault way, just that they've let it become so battered that its not working anymore, usually goes this way

"Any chance of an upgrade, me phones knackered"
    "Sorry but you currently dont have the spend for it, you will in about 3 months though"
    What am I supposed to do til then?"
    "Well theres a cheap Nokia you can pick up for €49 that would keep you going, or if you know anyone that has an old phone you can borrow"
    "thats crap! my phones broke!"
    "because of you...."

dumbasses

• Registered Users Posts: 45 ninety6days

the word "entitled"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭redmosquito

krudler wrote: »
    It amazes me how many people who think they should be entitled to an upgrade even though they're months away from one purely because "their phone is knackered" and not in a general fault way, just that they've let it become so battered that its not working anymore, usually goes this way

"Any chance of an upgrade, me phones knackered"
    "Sorry but you currently dont have the spend for it, you will in about 3 months though"
    What am I supposed to do til then?"
    "Well theres a cheap Nokia you can pick up for €49 that would keep you going, or if you know anyone that has an old phone you can borrow"
    "thats crap! my phones broke!"
    "because of you...."

dumbasses

Easily one of the most frequent scenario's I seem to come across!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

"I dropped my phone in the toilet now it wont work, can you repair it?"
    "Sorry its not covered under warranty"
    "thats ridiculous! it has a 12 month warranty! I've only had it 4 months! I'm calling Joe Duffy!"
    "My car has a warranty, but if I accidentally drove it off a cliff I wouldnt expect Volkswagen to replace it, thats why you have the option of phone insurance, which you turned down"
    ".....whats your cheapest phone"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

Krudler mate its the same old sob story all f3cking time and i couldnt agree more with ya , oh i do law in my plc course so i think i know everything cut the crap like.

Just because you cant use a touch phone i dont want this (hands back as if the phone has a disease) people are clueless wtf like.

The B*stards

nano_sim.jpg

:mad:
    Feck sake if the micro sim wasn't enough they had to go change everything again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭djdunny

I cannot wait to tell the first person that comes back into store with a faulty iphone 5 that he will not be able to use his sim in another phone. I can feel the ulcers starting already.

I know a sim swap can be done but there will be no data on it as i reckon the sim copiers wont read it either.

djdunny wrote: »
    I cannot wait to tell the first person that comes back into store with a faulty iphone 5 that he will not be able to use his sim in another phone. I can feel the ulcers starting already.

I know a sim swap can be done but there will be no data on it as i reckon the sim copiers wont read it either.

It's going to be a headache, it's already a pain in the ass. I'll be shouting for Sony and Samsung.
    Want you numbers copied, eh? Here start writing them in yourself or buy and android :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Brilliant thread :) didn't even know it was around :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭McGrath5

It's going to be a headache, it's already a pain in the ass. I'll be shouting for Sony and Samsung.
    Want you numbers copied, eh? Here start writing them in yourself or buy and android :pac:

Hopefully we will get the sim adaptors sent out pronto.

Hopefully we will get the sim adaptors sent out pronto.

There's no such thing yet, Somebody has to invent it. Google has never heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

26442579.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

or you could always send them to the carphone warehouse where they have a cellebright machine that will do it all for you.

they'll charge you though. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Great thread, wouldn't agree with everything here.
    I don't mind given a dig out to some who is having trouble with their phone regardless where they bought it. Also id never make the customer feel silly, I understand that not everyone is great with technology and it can take a while.

Annoys me when people lie to me:

Me:So have you been into any other mobile phone shop? just so i can compare what you've already seen.
    Customer: No, none yet, this is the first.
    Me: No problem.

5-10 minutes later after pointing out this best tariff and phone and so on
    Me: so what do you think?
    Customer: Well i was in the Meteor/vodafone/o2 shop and they said this ,that and whatever.

ME :WTF did i just asked you at the start?

Never understood why people hide information from me, I tell them ill be asking a few questions all for teh customer benifit and they just hide certain details.

Also when customers ask you about personal info.

Customer and me are talking.

Customer:So you guys on commission?
    Me: em...ok, well you answer it first, how are you paid?
    Me:What do you get paid a week?
    Customer: none of your business
    Me:Glad we cleared that up.

Iphones annoy me.

Customer; So when is the iphone 5 out?
    Sales Guy: We don't know, Were told when everyone else is.
    Customer: Isn't there someone you could ask?
    Sales guy: I don't have apples CEO on my speed dial so not really
    Customer: Was that a joke?
    *Customer laughs.....*
    Customer: Im making a complaint.

Theres more but Id be far too biased so i probably shouldn't post.

Selling phones for 5 years and counting......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Groups of people coming in 2 minutes before closing time.

I don't mind it, but it usually happens after having a relatively quiet day.

Advertisement