Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

relegation

Options
  • 28-09-2008 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭

The whole club is fcuked from the boardroom to the players on the field.

We could easily go down this season, and that is something I have never thought before, even in the depressing days of Gross and Ossie.

We have massive issues to resolve if we are to survive in the Premier league. I just don't see this team ever stringing a run or wins together.

Gonna be a very long hard season

I would take 17th now if I were offered it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

They will finish 12th.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Putting cup competion aside our record in the league under Ramos last season was poor.

Played: 26 Won: 9 Draw: 9 Lost: 8

A total of 27 points from a possible maximum 78, which is equivalent of 1 point for every 0.96 games

So far this season our tally is 2 points from a possible maximum of 18, which equates as 1 point for every 3 games.

If we carry on at the same rate then we'll finish with less than 13 points, however if we are to assume that 38+ points should be sufficient to stay up then then there is a serious amount of work to do before next May if we're not gonna be involved in a relegation dog fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭ruiseal

We could easily go down this season, and that is something I have never thought before, even in the depressing days of Gross and Ossie.

Don't worry. That's not going to happen. As soon as the players build up some confidence, we'll start climbing up the table.
    BTW, when the players read comments posted on forums (fora?) such as this, I'm sure it doesn't help.
    I'm not happy with today's result either, but there's still 96 points to play for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

Spurs won't go down. It's just a typical Spurs season.
    Prob a mid table finish.
    Are you not all used to this by now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

I'm loosing interest fast.
    I'm numb/immune to the pain now.

I used to let them upset me.
    Spurs results and performances used to make or break my week. Not any more.

fcuk that, life is for living, and there's I've no time for letting those millionaire spoilt brats on the baord and on the field upset me.

Tottenham Hotspur has become a very negitive thing to me. I've suffered 20 years of false dawns and pethetic mismanagement. I've seen the light at last - there's so much more to life then pinning you hopes on this shower.

If we go down we'll deserve it. And if it happens it will be the owners and the players fault.

We can only look on from the outside, follow this 9 month long car crash thats unfolding before our eyes, and hope to God that 3 other clubs have worse seasons.

That's how bad it is IMO, we're rotten from top to bottom.

• Advertisement

Tottenham Hotspur has become a very negitive thing to me. I've suffered 20 years of false dawns and pethetic mismanagement.

20? Wait till you've suffered 46 yrs. (March 1962). Then you'll know what suffering is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

First things first. The Dawson standing in on Kings day off thing has to be sorted. Dawson is a liability full stop. A class centre back is needed to partner Woodgate week in week out. Then (as much as I dont like saying this ) Ledley is going to have to except that hes not first choice. Second . A centre midfield workhorse / box to box / defensive midfield player needs to come in. We are far too light-weight in the centre , teams just brezze through us. Sure Didier has great vision and Jenas great flair, but Thud, O Hara , Modric, Bentley and Giovanni are not the type of players to go shutting up the shop or tracking back. A hard working midfield player as cover to the back 4 is needed asap. As for the chants of " You dont know what you're doing " from the crowd to Ramos on Sunday, well I agree but for a different reason. How can a manager plan a season when our 2 first choice strikers are sold, both of whom would have made it into any premier team first IX. The Berb thing is a shambles and I have no doubt that it has created much of our current situtation. This is a boardroom problem ,not the managers. We all knew he wanted to go so why wasnt the deal done earlier and gotten over with. We might have got the money but look at the mess now. As for Mr Comoli or Comedy as I like to call him (Do you still get laughed at as a spurs fan for the amount we spent on Bent) Hes just not up to the position that he trys to play......role on next season. Atleast the Gooners went down at home to Hull

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Atleast the Gooners went down at home to Hull

To be honest, although I'd usually take some pleasure in a result like this, I don't think there's any result outside of a Spurs result that I really care about any more. Sure City, for all their huffing and puffing, were beaten by Wigan yesterday, Arsenal were beaten, etc, etc - none of this brings even the hint of a smile to my face. That won't happen until something happens with Spurs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭John W

ruiseal wrote: »
    20? Wait till you've suffered 46 yrs. (March 1962). Then you'll know what suffering is!

Wow March 62, that was the month and year I was born! Been with Spurs since I was 8, so not far behind you!

I am not confident we can turn this around anytime soon - I am also not confident that Ramos style of management works in the EPL (something maybe the Board overlooked when they went after him) However I see no good reason to sack him now.

I think the one thing we would all agree on is the team and the management look disjointed and lack confidence, there is only one thing that will fix this, and that is time. The last thing we need right now is manager upheaval - and to be honest, they will only sack Juande and put Gus in charge anyway, so I would think we will see much change anyway.

yes it is hard to watch, in fact I don't watch anymore as my wife has just about reached the end of her rag with my mood after the game and the swearing during. So she tells me if they lost, and if they did, I don't watch and hit delete! (love sky plus).

hang in there lads, I think the team (with one or two additions) will get it together after Jan, and yes, then the new lads will have to bed in, but they will - This side really is too good for the championship I think we all know that - given time, I think we can avoid relegation this year, unfortunately I see that being our main achievement "this season".:P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Thats a bit Harsh, I've supported spurs since I was 10 and just because i'm 24now doesn't mean i'm any less heart broken then anyone over this debacle of a season. its very understandable to understand how DublinSpur is feeling even though I could never give uo interest as much as I might say it to people or want to.

I don't think that we'll be relegated or even close but that fact that there is even a thread bringing up the discussion is enough in my mind to warrant massive changes for our club.

• Advertisement

In fairness Ruiseal, you've been around long enough to witness some of the best days and best players our club has ever seen. The first 26 years of your support was littered with glory,

The last 20 has been nothing but turmiol, scandal, underacheivement and the odd cup every 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

It's all very depressing..

In fairness Ruiseal, you've been around long enough to witness some of the best days and best players our club has ever seen. The first 26 years of your support was littered with glory,

The last 20 has been nothing but turmiol, scandal, underacheivement and the odd cup every 10 years.

My choice of words maybe were not the best.
    What I had in mind at the time was that after 46 years, you're better able to cope with disappointment.
    Give them time, have patience, get behind them again and they'll come good!

The one thing we have to be aware of when thinking about relegation is our form. Ramos mentioned bad luck in his press conference this week as another reason why things aren't going our way, yet the incidents happened in games where, through our performance, we didn't deserve anything. Fair enough if we'd battled, been beaten by the odd goal, and had our own chances, but this wasn't the case.

We have been comprehensively beaten in every game this season, excluding the two draws of course. We didn't deserve a point in any of the 4 losses, and the results reflected our form. Unfortunately this has been the case for all of 2008, and things don't look like improving.

Relegation is a very real possibility, and something we all need to consider. It's not a case of us being too good to go down, at the moment, our form dictates that we're too bad to stay up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Blue 84

I used to let them upset me.
    Spurs results and performances used to make or break my week. Not any more.

fcuk that, life is for living, and there's I've no time for letting those millionaire spoilt brats on the baord and on the field upset me.

Tottenham Hotspur has become a very negitive thing to me. I've suffered 20 years of false dawns and pethetic mismanagement. I've seen the light at last - there's so much more to life then pinning you hopes on this shower.

If we go down we'll deserve it. And if it happens it will be the owners and the players fault.

We can only look on from the outside, follow this 9 month long car crash thats unfolding before our eyes, and hope to God that 3 other clubs have worse seasons.

That's how bad it is IMO, we're rotten from top to bottom.

Hit the nail on the head there, my friend.

In other seasons when we flirted with the drop (97/98 and 03/04 spring to mind) I still felt in the darker moments of those times that there would be enough quality in the squad to stay up, and so it proved. This time around I am very concerned, although I was a little pessimistic prior to the start of the season.

The complete miserable failure of whoever is calling the shots regarding transfers has led to this mess. Seriously, what other club would turn a blind eye to strengthening the areas of its squad where it is required while splashing the millions on some lightweight or unproven player for the likelihood of the profit they will make on his next move? I recall the signing of Jermaine Jenas (think it was three years ago) and my reaction was along the lines of 'Jenas? But we don't need him, what's that about?' Sadly this kind of reaction has become the norm during subsequent transfer windows.

Welcome to the f****d up world of Tottenham Hotspur, who like to do things a little differently. While Terry Venables lays blame at the foot of the Dimitar Berbatov, the sad truth is that if THFC do the unthinkable and drop into the Championship, they have no one to blame but themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Our next 5 league games are
    Stoke (a)
    Bolton (h)
    Arsenal (a)
    Liverpool (h)
    Man City (a)

On current form I seriously cant see us getting more than 3 points from these fixtures. I predict our points position as 5 from a possible 15 after these next set of games. If that aint relegation form then nothing is.

Something needs to change quickly otherwise we are going down.

we're completely fcuked and we'll probabally be relegated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 The Lilywhite

I just watched our game today on Sky Sports and I have to be honest we were sh*t and we really look like a team who's going down and the management appear not to have a clue, Ramos takes off Gunter, fair enough he wasnt having a good game and brings on Bentley who continues to cross balls into the box where we have nobody to head it ie Campbell and Bent who are not renowned for their heading ability but when we get a corner and we have big defenders in the box he plays it short, Modric was running around like a headless chicken and then he fluffs the chance he gets, Frazier Campbell is not a striker, I accept he is young but he could have been sent off today for his challenges, both Jenas and Zokora, neither who I rate btw, were mainly anonymous Bale although he at least got forward his final ball was to put it mildly, found wanting, as for the rest they weren't up to much, I see Levy and Commili were at the game and for fear of being banned from this site I'm not going to comment on this but I agree with Dublinspur when he says this club is rotten to the core and as long as the heirarchy remain we will only be a feeder club to the top 4. No disrespects to Hull but we should be beating them at WHL and we should be at least testing their keeper who could have gone home after 10 minutes, a bit harsh I know but it breaks my heart to see such a pathetic Tottenham team, I've supported them over 30 years and I have never seen them so bad and the club so badly run, and its time for the board to go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

We could easily go down. Look at Forest in the 96-97 season, after several great years before that.

The situation we're in now is frightening.

Whatever they do, Ramos and Poyet should stay. A caretaker manager now could signal the end for us.

Let's get behind the team now. That first victory will be the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Morgans

I say this as a spurs fan but at the moment, they arent playing well enough to get into a relegation dog-fight. They deserve to be where they are and are by some way the worst team in the league. There is no fluke about the position.

And already they are two games away from safety. Obviously they have SOME personnel that are better than that position, and they have money to buy themselves out of a relegation battle, but it is looking grim. For all the creativity they have on paper they have created one goal.

OG vs Middlesborough
    Jenas vs Sunderland (good goal)
    Chelsea defender assist for Bent
    Jenas shot ricochet off Bent vs Villa

They just seemed to have forgotten the way to goal. A couple of free kicks from Bale was the best of it yesterday. Not really depressed about it, resigned about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Relegation is a real possibility now.
    We dont even look like winning games at the minute and thats very worrying when you look at the run of games we have coming up. We could be rock bottom and detached in 4 weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

John W wrote: »
    hang in there lads, I think the team (with one or two additions) will get it together after Jan, and yes, then the new lads will have to bed in, but they will - This side really is too good for the championship I think we all know that - given time, I think we can avoid relegation this year, unfortunately I see that being our main achievement "this season".:P

what class players are going to sign for spurs in jan.?we are a shambles at the min and come christmas unless its a miracle run of results will still be near the bottom of the table and chances of us entering europe next year are going to be slim at best. dont think we will win any cups and wont finish top 10 IMO.

i remember seasons when the best teams in the league came to the lane and the best they got was a point. now teams see it as a handy 3 points! its tough to take!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

It pains me to say this but I just felt Numb yesterday, I was at a family meal during the match so took a quick duck out to check the scroe when it came up I dont believe I even flinched while last season (and evey season) I'm pretty sure I would have lost the rag.

I know I keep saying it and there where other factors but Jol was ousted before things got this bad and this isn't a poor start to the season its been poor since we played the carling cup final (apart from a decent pre-season).

As far as i'm concerned the berbatov/keane sales without the signing of a decent/proven replacement and the lack of DMF & CB is criminal. even from looking at post's from here and other sites (myself included) we seemed to think that darren bent could handle what this 40-50 goal partnership left behind.

I do now think that a change has to be made, Martin O Neil even though he would never come without a blank check would be my ideal replacement. I hope i'm wrong and the current regime can turn it around.

Rant Over :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭John W

Morgans wrote: »
    I. For all the creativity they have on paper they have created one goal.

OG vs Middlesborough
    Jenas vs Sunderland (good goal)
    Chelsea defender assist for Bent
    Jenas shot ricochet off Bent vs Villa

They just seemed to have forgotten the way to goal. A couple of free kicks from Bale was the best of it yesterday. Not really depressed about it, resigned about it.

This would be so bad as I am sure we will add one or two quality strikers in January. Real problem is, it is NOT JUST that we are not scoring goals - we have problems all over the pitch - Midfield is light and are not getting forward, OR even tracking back - Defence is now loosing confidence and even Woody and King are looking shaky!

Add to this our manager is making too many changes to the team, before the game starts and then during the game. Plus the management do not seem able to really motivate the team, we have real problems.:confused:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I've lost all interest in soccer this eason after seeing how badly it's going for Spurs (that and not having an NTL connection in the gaff and no desire for one).

ziedth wrote: »
    It pains me to say this but I just felt Numb yesterday

This is how I felt too. I watched the second half, and let out a shout or two at some bad passes (of which there were many) and when Bent nearly got his goal, but when the game finished instead of being angry or pissed off, I just got on with my day.

In a way it's not that bad as weekends are now not dictated by how well or poorly Spurs have played!! Having said that, I'd gladly take some disappointment if we had even a little happiness.

My biggest concern is that, having looked at our next 5 fixtures, we'll come out of those games with just 3 points, maybe 4 at most. That will leave us with either 5 or 6 points from a possible 36. At this stage, if our form continues like this, we'll be worse than Derby last season and could end up with a lower points tally. Soon enough, even going on a run of winning 2 to 3 games (and you could hardly call that a run!!) we'd still be in the bottom 3. That's when things become sealed, and crap players like Jenas and Dawson (let's be honest, they are crap) either lose the head or let their heads drop, as they don't have either the necessary bottle or skill to compete with players who won entry to the Premiership last season and would do anything not to go back there.

Advertisement