Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunday Times University Guide

Options
  • 28-09-2008 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭

Anyone else read this?
    It churns up some interesting results. NUIM was named University of the year with UCD in second. UCD got the highest amount of research income but was 4th in this category as it is based on the aggregate amount per academic. UCD got 4 stars out of 5 for sports facilities, with UL being the only University to get the maximum 5 stars (they have a 50m pool). UCD was 5th nationwide for 1st and 2:1 degrees dished out (a GPA above 3.08 in new terms). UCD is 2nd in the international rankings behind Trinity. If we were a British institution we would be the 34th best University in Britain.
    The rankings are good IMO. But British Universities are more rigorously tested than ours. Even though UCD is a good place to be there are better places to do certain courses, something which cannot be gauged from how our rankings are done.
    Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Do you not think we should be aiming for better than (the equivelant of) 34th best university in Britain? Obviously Britain is a lot larger than Ireland, but for UCD's size (in terms of people and money), it should be in the top ten or fifteen. I honestly do think UCD should be aiming to rank as a top university in Europe. I just don't think it's going about it the right way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Rankings are interesting food for thought, but I think its dangerous to put too much stock in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

UCD is certainly not going the right way about things, under the present regime, but it is not well enough funded to be a really top university. Government runs all education on the cheap and Irish business and alumni don't see any need to contribute either.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭lego

Does anyone have the link to the 2008-2009 league table on the web?

All I can find are old league tables like the ones below.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/displayPopup/0,,40608,00.html

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00214/STI051RZ301_214433a.gif

Advertisement