Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castletroy View gone to the dogs

Options
  • 28-09-2008 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭

Been living there for nearly a year but in recent weeks the place has been taken over by hoodie wearing teenage yobs. We live in what used to be a quiet area. It seems now this has become the spot for all the local (southil, glenview etc) to gather and deal drugs etc. Tonight there was a massive gang at least 35 of them down by the back of Dunnes. In fairness the Gardai are up here a lot but they can't patrol 24/7.

We have had the a car window put in along with two neighbours. There have been attempted house break ins too. We've had stones thrown at us while walking. I've defended Limerick in past as a safe place but this side of town is far from it. We've decided its time to get the hell out of dodge before something more serious happens us.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

put more pressure on the cops to get up there every time something happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This estate is like most housing estates in the city and suberbs I'm afraid. I lived in Raheen and similar things going on out there on your door step. My relatives have similar hassel out in Corbally too.

One of the reasons I moved out of the city over a year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

There is no one from southhill in the area hanging around all the hoodies are from the area!
    Im living in glendale and its very quiet ive no complaints!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

I needs to be nipped in the bud now before it gets any worst, Contact your local community garda to see if they can get regular drive by's as a deterent. These hoods do not want the attention of the guards, speak to the council and local residents about improving street lighting before the younger ones (pre-teen) get dragged in. These kids have parents get them all involved. We had a simialar problem with anti social hangers-on and stone throwing on the Old Cork Road and we spoke to Wille O'Dea, he solved the phyical side of things, fenching, lighting etc and the hoods moved on.

Don't let them win and destroy your neighborhood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 blow_in

Op that's terrible it's a shame things have to get that bad. I'm having similar things happen here in Caherdavin 2 nights ago a beer bottle was thrown at my son's window fortunately no broken window just a bunch a glass to clean. The Garda patrolled the next day and I let them know about it. Apparently these scumbags find behind Ivan's to be the new hot spot got me a tad worried as my children take that route to school.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Similar problems around Caherdavin OP (although leaning towards grafitti rather than window-breaking) It's happening all over the city.

My father was sure he heard somebody testing our back door a few days ago.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

blow_in wrote: »
    Op that's terrible it's shame thing have to get that bad. I'm having similar things happen here in Caherdavin 2 nights ago a beer bottle was thrown at my son's window fortunately no broken window just a bunch a glass to clean. The Garda patrolled the next day and I let them know about it. Apparently these scumbags find behind Ivan's to be the new hot spot got me a tad worried as my children take that route to school.

Howdy neighbour!
    You're right, the Lawn has been getting far too many hoods, especially over the last two years. I know about 4 of them (the ones who actually live in the estate) and they're harmless as they spend a lot of free time playing sports. The "friends" coming over to hang around by Ivan's are not really local, and they're the ones to be most concerned about. I've also found that the girls are WAY more brazen than the lads.

Yea, I'll have to agree the girls around their appear to have a set on them. What I can't figure out is the draw to Ivan's sure their cakes are grand but I'm sure their not there for that. Plenty other allies. I am however glad to see the garda present it's a little comforting, just not much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Best thing to do is build an arcade just outside castletroy, always seems to work. Tempted to do it around my area too.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

There is no one from southhill in the area hanging around all the hoodies are from the area!
    Im living in glendale and its very quiet ive no complaints!

Give it time m8, and fyi I know for a fact at least 2 of the scumbags involved on sunday night are from southill, I'll pm you the details if you want.

I have spoke with Diarmud Scully about this, and expect to see some action soon...

• Advertisement

I know that the vast majority of the "hoodies"are from glendale,castletroy view and glenbrook!
    I just dont like the dramatisation of bringing in Southhill as if to say its all their fault!
    Its the prents of the kids in the areas fault for not keeping track of their kids and for letting them go out dressed as scumbags!!!

acalmenvoy wrote: »
    Give it time m8, and fyi I know for a fact at least 2 of the scumbags involved on sunday night are from southill, I'll pm you the details if you want.

I have spoke with Diarmud Scully about this, and expect to see some action soon...
    Thats fair enough if you have evidence and its completely unacceptable they must be palling with the local kids do?

I do think that the owners of springfield should hire security to keep kids out of the carpark by mace its getting very messy around there lately!

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

I was just replying to your statement that there was no southill scummers involved, when I drove by sunday night I saw 2 well known heads in the thick of it, one of them being searched by gardai.

And I totally agree with you, the majority of the trouble is local heads.

I know it's easy to blame parents, but that's what it comes down to.
    I live 100 yards from springfield and my 3 teenagers were safe at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

There was an interesting article in the Sunday Times yesterday about a town in England that brought in a curfew for under 16s at the beginning of summer, it seemed to have a dramatic effect on reducing anti-social behaviour such as the ones the OP complained about. The curfew seemed to be sensibly enforced too, if a kid was coming back from say sports practice after 9 exceptions would be made.

It would be interesting to see if something like this could be imposed in Limerick. Things will go on being bad, and with Halloween just around the corner they could get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

heard the first of the firecrackers yesterday evening. going to be a busy month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

A lot of you seem to be complaining about young people hanging around your houses.
    where are they supposed to hang out and what is there for them to do?

It' s not so much that their are young kids hanging out I have no problems with that. It also isn't my responsibility to keep them occupied there is plenty to do there is a bus system, an arcade and alot of parks. Not to mention there is always a part time job. My problem is the knackered drink they consume and dispose of at my door step and putting others in danger in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

A lot of you seem to be complaining about young people hanging around your houses.

hang around their own houses?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just because society hasn't provided these youths with entertainment to occupy there spare time doesn't mean they have to participate in anti-social behaviour to keep themselves amused.

Also, they all know where to find their local soccer, GAA, rugby clubs, etc, but the worst offenders among them have no interest in participating. They'll happily play soccer amongst themselves though, bang in the middle of the road, so you can't defend them by saying they're just not into sports. They're more into vandalism, drinking and annoying passers by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

krudler wrote: »
    hang around their own houses?

+1 There are no teenagers on our row but they come here to drink out of view of their own parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Lunar_Wolf

wingnut wrote: »
    Been living there for nearly a year but in recent weeks the place has been taken over by hoodie wearing teenage yobs. We live in what used to be a quiet area. It seems now this has become the spot for all the local (southil, glenview etc) to gather and deal drugs etc. Tonight there was a massive gang at least 35 of them down by the back of Dunnes. In fairness the Gardai are up here a lot but they can't patrol 24/7.

We have had the a car window put in along with two neighbours. There have been attempted house break ins too. We've had stones thrown at us while walking. I've defended Limerick in past as a safe place but this side of town is far from it. We've decided its time to get the hell out of dodge before something more serious happens us.
    Yep, that is true!

These parasites just stand outside Dunnes for hours upon hours as if they are waiting for Jesus Christ himself to turn up:confused: It's getting worse every few months. If I had the cash, I'd get the hell out of here. Thinking about them makes me want to do this-

BowWowSethGreen.gif

Advertisement