Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working in 6th Year

Options
  • 28-09-2008 10:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Hi all :)

Just wondering who has a job on here who is also in 6th Year.
    I currently work about 15 hours a week (2 weekday evenings, 1 weekend morning) during 6th year and im finding it alright. I feel this is because I worked hard in 5th year so 6th isnt that bad.
    Got holidays from the job for the mocks, and will do the same for the LC itself.

Wanna see what anyone else thinks :)

6th Years: Do You Have A part time job? 7 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Well, what course/points are you going for?
    Even still i would be thinking, forget the job, there's plenty of time to get a job after secondary, it's only 1 year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Had a job up until the end of August, but they wanted me working 25 hours a week even when school started back. So handed in my notice after my manager refused to lower the hours, wasn't worth the €150 odd I'd make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

I'm always wrecked as it is so a job wouldn't be the best idea for me during school time.

Regarding study: A job doesn't cut into your study time as most people do f**k all anyway. I think, fair play to ya, you'll have a good bit of spending money in College and future employers may respect you being able to get a good LC and keep a job going.

But, if it starts affecting your results or your school performance drops, leave the job.

Gluk :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 russelljames

K4t wrote: »
    But, if it starts affecting your results or your school performance drops, leave the job.

that is excatly my plan. if i see anything happening my results il be gone straght away.
    i do 2 hours of study 3 out of 4 possible days after school in school, and it helps alot. i revise at the weekends if im sitting about doing nothing or on a train or bus.

my employer wasnt so happy to let me go when i said i was going back to school, so they asked me to stay on under hours i can do.

For those who aren't working, do you not find it a pain to be getting money from the rents every weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Jaysus and I was finding my 3 hours a week hard to manage! For september I worked 11-2 on Sundays but I'm stopping now until Christmas when I might get a few hours for the Christmas Rush.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

For those who aren't working, do you not find it a pain to be getting money from the rents every weekend?
    Parents? They knew what they were getting themselves into. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I work one night a week, a saturday, from around 5 til 11. In fairness, I don't have to leave i because I'm not going to be studying at that hour of the night anyway. My brother kept on his job right up to the leaving cert (the same job as me) and went out 2 or 3 times a month, so that's my plan! :D

Jay P wrote: »
    I work one night a week, a saturday, from around 5 til 11. In fairness, I don't have to leave i because I'm not going to be studying at that hour of the night anyway. My brother kept on his job right up to the leaving cert (the same job as me) and went out 2 or 3 times a month, so that's my plan! :D

fair point. teachers seem to be under an illusion that you will go home, eat, study, sleep,wake, school, study ect, which to most students isnt true. for me, and prolly a few of you too, you'd rather earn that bit of money a week, than sit at home doing nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭postalservice

^Yes! More people saying "prolly":D

My friend worked Saturdays and Sundays during LC(including a good few days during exams)

He got 525.

Didnt make a difference to him though.....would have just been playing World of Warcraft anyway.:P

BTW....I have never played WOW

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

25 hours....€150...what?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

i've kept mine. cut down to one day a week anyway. longest i'd work would be 8 hours but it could be less. don't really see the difference in spending my saturday or sunday afternoon sleeping or doin f*ck all with my friends and earning a few quid to spend on the nights i do go out.

will probably take a few weeks off coming up to the exams to if i feel i need to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

I do barwork at gigs with my sister. €18.50 an hour to drink beer and watch free gigs! Yeow!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Nope, don't have a job and I don't need one as my parents give me money so that I don't have to work.

I really couldn't deal with a job right now as I'm incredibly lazy and study would never get done.

Though I would prefer to be earning money. There's something empty about buying games with money that I didn't really earn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭peachystarr

Drop the jobs.

Your LC is more important, How much money could 17 and 18 year olds possible need while doing your leaving cert, what would you be spending it on??

If your working , you are no doubt going to be tired from this. The weekends should be there to catch up on sleep , to rest, to relax not to work.

As for working during the week....cut that straight away.

Your dream course is a lot to give up for the sake of a hundred euro a week. Dont try and justify it because if you continue to work your never going to know what you could have got if you didnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

i was working 15hr weeks during 5th yr and then more during the summer. gave it up at the end of the summer. don't know what to do with myself now :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

I kept a job up until february of sixth year, when and at that point the company was two months into breaching store policy of employing LC students so they let me go.... tbh, i did nothing at home anyway right up to it, so i may as well have been earning some money.... i eventually came out with 490..... nothing spectacular, i was capable of much mire, but i did sweet f*ck all and ,i made my course so....

Edit: I was working on average 5 days a week, 3 evenings and 2 weekends coming out at about 25 - 30 hours a week, i also managed band practice, and the odd temp day of work as tyre fitter, so i recon a small bit of work wont hurt so long as you allocate your time properly

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Drop the jobs.

Your LC is more important, How much money could 17 and 18 year olds possible need while doing your leaving cert, what would you be spending it on??

clothes, drink, going out, uniforms, school supplies and exam papers? Oh yeah, and the exams cost money to take as well don't they... Not everybody's parents are loaded, so some of us try to help if we can. Sixth year is fairly expensive (especially if you go to a school that charges 320 quid for night study :eek: )

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Drop the jobs.

About at much as 20/21 year old college students need :)

-clothes
    -going out (sooo expensive...)
    -taxis
    -all those presents for 18ths
    -predebs tickets and clothes
    -debs tickets and clothes

6th year is very expensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

kmart6 wrote: »
    25 hours....€150...what?!

More like €250, but I'd rather not think about that.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Working at parents at the moment during the night every Sunday. Need the money badly... Can't see it affecting school/study at all since I'd be spending that time doing something less productive most of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 daffy-duck

if ur serious bout 6th year nd want to get on well, then you'll give up work.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,785 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Any jobs available these days is like a piece of gold..If you can get a Part Time job take it because when summer comes there will be none left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

yap your right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭peachystarr

Piste wrote: »

quote]

You shouldnt be living like a college student when your still in school
    -clothes

most schools wear a uniform......so you wear that 5 days a week leaving 2 days...How many new clothes do you need for two days a week??

-going out (sooo expensive...)
    quote]

you wont be doing much of this in your LC year

-predebs tickets and clothes
    -debs tickets and clothes

There not that expensive that you have to work every weekend to afford to go.

I know you probably cant see any harm in working now but I am telling you that extra study, those extra points will be worth it. Im only giving you my opinion, I couldnt expect 17 and 18 year olds toee my logic. I know I had the exact same thinking when I was in LC, fortunately my mother made me give up my job in Oct before it was too late to get that time back.

Well I'd hate to boast but the job im in pays chuffin well for a 17 year old. well above minimum wage like. and as someone above said, a job is like gold at the moment; people say you cant get anywhere without a leaving cert. I have only a junior cert, and there are people who have their LC's who cannot get a job at all and are in college stuck getting money from their rents

6th is expensive. you cant live off 20/30 euro a week. it gives ya tonnes more freedom if you earn much mroe than that in the time you wouldnt spend studying.

just wondering, are employers in any way obliged to give you the time of during exams or are you meant to take it off as holidays?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

6th year is an extremely expensive year (I'm assuming none of yous have paid the 100 euro that even DOING the LC costs yet... oh just you wait). However, there is a good chance that the families of most of the people posting on this board/thread are not in severe financial difficulty, and can give them money. Or loan it. Pay your parents back next summer. Why would you jeapordise your chance to do what you want in college for... what... being able to go out every weekend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

you are so right purple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

You shouldnt be living like a college student when your still in school

most schools wear a uniform......so you wear that 5 days a week leaving 2 days...How many new clothes do you need for two days a week??

you wont be doing much of this in your LC year

There not that expensive that you have to work every weekend to afford to go.

I know you probably cant see any harm in working now but I am telling you that extra study, those extra points will be worth it. Im only giving you my opinion, I couldnt expect 17 and 18 year olds toee my logic. I know I had the exact same thinking when I was in LC, fortunately my mother made me give up my job in Oct before it was too late to get that time back.

Your whole post seems to work under the assumption that everyone is exactly the same.

We're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Spending money regularly on clothes? That's madness., I only have two sets of clothes: Uniform and casual clothes.

That's all you need. Anything more is a waste of money and you should feel bad. :pac:

Sure I've had this same pair of clothes since the end of 3rd Year.

Use them until you can't use them anymore. That's the way you guys should be thinking.

Oh and drinking is a big waste of your money, you don't need to drink (alcohol...might need water). If you think you do need it then you're an alcoholic.. :pac:

What were we talking about again?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Signature

To me, it seems a lot more of those who did transition year have jobs than those who didn't.

I didn't do transition year and I don't have a part-time job.

Advertisement