Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is Galway the official third city of the republic of ireland?

Options
  • 28-09-2008 10:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭

some clarification please

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Officially yes. according to the most recent census Galway has a greater population living within it's city boundaries than Limerick. However Limerick has more people living within its greater urban area, so i guess we only have it on a technicality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

If you're talking population then no. Limerick is bigger.

If you're talking coolness, we're first.

Officially yes. according to the most recent census Galway has a greater population living within it's city boundaries than Limerick. However Limerick has more people living within its greater urban area, so i guess we only have it on a technicality.

True. But Galway uses wider city boundaries than Limerick and that's the only reason we have a greater population in that sense.

kraggy wrote: »
    True. But Galway uses wider city boundaries than Limerick and that's the only reason we have a greater population in that sense.

but officially we are the 3rd largest city in the country which is what the OP asked.

besides i said exactly what you said in the rest of my post. selective quoting ftw :rolleyes:

but officially we are the 3rd largest city in the country which is what the OP asked.

besides i said exactly what you said in the rest of my post. selective quoting ftw :rolleyes:

What's with the rolleyes?

Can't believe they brought them back. Stupid smiley.

And what I said is not what you said. My point was about the different boundaries so officially yes, Galway is the 3rd city but is not considered as such by the general population.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭futura123

I do know there is alot of dispute as to the third city title!!! similar to the manchester and birmingham situation in the UK. Manchester officially has the second city title despite bein smaller population wise. then again manchester like galway is much cooler :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Galway is the 3rd city but is not considered as such by the general population.

I thought it was only Limerick people who thought so.:D

We're gaining fast though, Limerick City and County grew by aprox 10,000 last census, Galway City and County grew by 30,000, most of the increase being in the City and immediate surrounding areas.

galwayrush wrote: »
    We're gaining fast though, Limerick City and County grew by aprox 10,000 last census, Galway City and County grew by 30,000, most of the increase being in the City and immediate surrounding areas.
    i wonder why???:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

And what I said is not what you said. My point was about the different boundaries so officially yes, Galway is the 3rd city but is not considered as such by the general population.

Did you survey them all?

• Advertisement

i dont think limerick idesreves to have the third city title!!!! the spate of crimes and violence there has seriously damaged its reputation. but then again galway has its fair share of roughies too but nowhere like limerick .

which was just a different way of saying what I said; that Limerick's greater urban area is more populous than Galway, so we're only the 3rd due to a technicality i.e. the larger boundaries you refer to.

some people...

Did you survey them all?

I just have 6 people left to ask and then I'll be done.

Seriously though, when people list the cities of Ireland out they go "Dublin, Cork, Limerick and Galway".

That's the way we did it where I went to school anyway.

which was just a different way of saying what I said; that Limerick's greater urban area is more populous than Galway, so we're only the 3rd due to a technicality i.e. the larger boundaries you refer to.

some people...

Somebody must have had a fight with the girlfriend. Either that or you're pre-menstrual.

It's not what you said. You didn't mention anything about the boundaries being different.

So keep your rolleyes and "some people" comments to yourself like a good lad.

Nice talking to ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

ErnieBert wrote: »

I was just looking for that. To save some clicks for the rest of ye:
    Population in 2006:

Dublin City 506,211
    Cork City 119,418
    Galway City 72,414
    Limerick City 52,539

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭nycman

Galway-The Real "Real" Capital:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

I thought it was Boston.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Of course, the cso figures do not measure the thousands who live in Co Clare, when you cross the county line the city carries on, as it does going west and south into Limerick county.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Mr Cork Man

I think it suits other places to ignore their own problems and hype up limericks.Ive been living in galway for the past few months and for a small scale place to compared to cork and limerick there is an awful lot of burglaries and general anti social bhaviour.Indeed my neighbours had an attempted break in broad daylight.Having been to limerick its definately not as bad as people says and the only reason galway is irelands third city is because the suburbs of castletroy and dooradoyle are not included in limericks census figures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

some people...
    Somebody must have had a fight with the girlfriend. Either that or you're pre-menstrual.

It's not what you said. You didn't mention anything about the boundaries being different.

So keep your rolleyes and "some people" comments to yourself like a good lad.

Nice talking to ya.

Miaow!

Limerick is suppost to have approx 10,000 Polish residents, that will severely put a dent on it's population if most of them leave,:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

I just have 6 people left to ask and then I'll be done.

Seriously though, when people list the cities of Ireland out they go "Dublin, Cork, Limerick and Galway".

I don't! You should have asked everyone again..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That's the way we did it where I went to school anyway.

This explains why Waterford never gets a bone from the government. :(

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

We are all secretly hoping it will slip into the sea and become Ireland's atlantis.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

The census says Galway is bigger, but Limerick definitely has more peeps. In Galway, places like Oranmore and Barna are included as part of the city whereas in Limerick massive suburbs like Castletroy and Raheen are excluded because the boundaries need to be redrawn. Limerick certainly looks and feels bigger too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Limerick's real pop is closer to 100,000, Galways real pop is closer to 75,000, when you include the suburbs of both cities that aren't included.

However, let's move away from the small-minded fighting over relatively meaningless titles and on towards why two such large areas don't have proper roads or rail between them, or why the Government is doing very little to prepare either town for when their big US employers eventually leave. Someday, maybe even soon, Dell will leave Limerick and Boston or Medtronic will leave Galway, what is the plan B for when this happens?

cornbb wrote: »
    The census says Galway is bigger, but Limerick definitely has more peeps. In Galway, places like Oranmore and Barna are included as part of the city whereas in Limerick massive suburbs like Castletroy and Raheen are excluded because the boundaries need to be redrawn. Limerick certainly looks and feels bigger too.
    Both Bearna and Oranmore are in the County Council area, not the city.

City boundary map This is slightly out of date as it doesn't have Parkmore and Doughiska shaded as developed but the boundaries haven't changed.

That is how Oranmore got ranked as one of the richest towns in Ireland per person a few years ago by the CSO rather than being subsumed into the city's numbers.

The city is actually spilling over its boundaries in some spots now: Parkmore and Briarhill for example.

why two such large areas don't have proper roads or rail between them
    Both well on their way, even if one duplicates the other.
    why the Government is doing very little to prepare either town for when their big US employers eventually leave. Someday, maybe even soon, Dell will leave Limerick and Boston or Medtronic will leave Galway, what is the plan B for when this happens?
    Big chunks of the country are in the same boat, not just out here. And why would it be up to the government to sort out? After Digital moved the manufacturing to Ayr (the last time house prices fell in Galway) a lot of the more skilled guys started their own hi-tech businesses.

• Advertisement

galway is the main city of the west so should be no problem in claiming the third city title. again it is similar to the manchester in the uk whereby :D

Advertisement