Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is Galway the official third city of the republic of ireland?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭FredsWebHead

Wow didn't even know Galway had grown that much. It seems from the CSO stats that Galway has more population than Limerick as a whole and Galway city has more of a pop. than Limerick city. And even with city boundaries redrawn, I can't see Limerick city surpassing Galway city by 20,000 more people.
    Nuts
    Fred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Galway is a town with a large suburban spread.

Anything in Ireland is small-fry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭knightmare

po0k wrote: »

Anything in Ireland is small-fry.

Agreed...everywhere outside Dublin is small town stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

knightmare wrote: »
    Agreed...everywhere outside Dublin is small town stuff
    Dublin is small stuff compared to a lot of places.:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Wow didn't even know Galway had grown that much. It seems from the CSO stats that Galway has more population than Limerick as a whole and Galway city has more of a pop. than Limerick city. And even with city boundaries redrawn, I can't see Limerick city surpassing Galway city by 20,000 more people.
    Nuts
    Fred.

It wouldn't have to, since the population of the suburbs outside Limerick city boundary is approaching 35,000+. Neither Castletroy (where UL is) or Raheen (where Dell is) are officially in the city boundary. Some parts of Caherdavin have been included recently though.

It's a pointless debate though, everywhere outside Dublin is small.

Baby4 wrote: »

I've never been there => it doesn't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,955 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Baby4 wrote: »

There are SIX cities in Ireland.

There are FIVE cities in the Republic of Ireland.

And that's if you combine the various cities inside Dublin into one. 2006 census figures (ROI) and 2005 mid-year estimates (UK) show:

Dublin City- 506,211
    South Dublin - 246,935
    Fingal - 239,992
    Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown -194,038

Belfast 268,000

Cork City 119,418

Galway City 72,414

Limerick City 52,539

Waterford City 45,748

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Mr Cork Man

JustMary wrote: »
    There are SIX cities in Ireland.

There are FIVE cities in the Republic of Ireland.

And that's if you combine the various cities inside Dublin into one. 2006 census figures (ROI) and 2005 mid-year estimates (UK) show:

Dublin City- 506,211
    South Dublin - 246,935
    Fingal - 239,992
    Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown -194,038

Belfast 268,000

Cork City 119,418

Galway City 72,414

Limerick City 52,539

Waterford City 45,748

Your clutching at straws.There are areas in cork not included in those figures such as douglas because tthose suburbs are under the authority of cork county council.Corks real population is 190,000 people.Same with limerick raheen dooradoyle aor castletroy are not included in limericks census figures.Limericks proper population is 90,000 people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Fcuk that if Belfast and Waterford count as Irish cities then so does Derry. Population 83,652 for the city proper in the last UK census (2001)

• Advertisement

Corks proper population including douglas is 190,000.Limericks proper population including raheen dooradoyle and castletroy is 90,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭coillcam

Galway is the no. 1 city in Ireland

[/thread]

coillcam wrote: »
    Galway is the no. 1 city in Ireland

[/thread]

Its the number 1 big town in ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭futura123

Its the number 1 big town in ireland.

city

futura123 wrote: »
    city

I class galway as a town.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

Well if yer gonna bring Northern Ireland into it you might as well include Armagh and Newry...both are classed as cities! Anyways, of course the Limerick urban area is bigger than Galway. However, there are 230,000 people living in all of Co. Galway...a huge number of whom travel into and out of Galway daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Cole

po0k wrote: »

Totally agree...I cannot bring myself to refer to Galway 'city' or talk about going into the 'city centre'.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭bealbocht

looking at the Dublin stats, the numbers are kinda meaningless.. , and the argument is over boundary lines. To say Rathmines/Blackrock or Ballymun are not parts of Dublin city is daft.
    A good part of Limerick city is technically in Clare..

I'd still have it as Dublin, Cork , Limerick, Galway.

and because stats, are always great for useless facts.... here is a list of counties that you could fit everone into Croake Park. Not sure where Laoighis is.

Carlow 50,349
    Laoighis 67,059
    Longford 34,391
    Offaly 70,868
    Westmeath 79,346
    Leitrim 28,950
    Roscommon 58,768
    Sligo 60,894
    Monaghan 55,997
    Cavan 64,003

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭futura123

wrong,
    small city but not a town

Cole wrote: »
    Totally agree...I cannot bring myself to refer to Galway 'city' or talk about going into the 'city centre'.
    Despite Galway having been a city for 524 years I still refer to its centre as town, but then I referred to the centre of London as town when I lived there.

It's all relative - compared to some of the places in the US that are called cities Galway is a metropolis, compared to a couple of nearby cities (London, Paris, even Manchester) Dublin is a provincial town.

Limerick has more of a city feel than Galway- I think it is because of the Victorian terraces and wide streets and in fairness if they included Castletroy and Dooradoyle it probably would be bigger but I think in the medium term Galway will grow bigger than Limerick.

• Advertisement

Waterford and Limerick underated Gems.Dublin a monstrocity.Galway everyones favourite fun sized city.Cork combines big city atmosphere with a homely small town feel.

Despite Galway having been a city for 524 years I still refer to its centre as town, but then I referred to the centre of London as town when I lived there.

It's all relative - compared to some of the places in the US that are called cities Galway is a metropolis, compared to a couple of nearby cities (London, Paris, even Manchester) Dublin is a provincial town.

Limerick has more of a city feel than Galway- I think it is because of the Victorian terraces and wide streets and in fairness if they included Castletroy and Dooradoyle it probably would be bigger but I think in the medium term Galway will grow bigger than Limerick.

Your probally right there.

You could say waterford is more city like with the big quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

What, no Tuam heads in arguing about its city status? Damn, that's always good for a laugh. This thread is a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

As a Galwegian, I always felt this way about Limerick too. I think that this is because Limerick was planned to be a city, whereas Galway just grew organically/sporadically/chaotically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Waterford and Limerick underated Gems.

Jeez, tell the whole world why don't you? You'll ruin it for the rest of us.

Thomond is re-opening tomorrow and there's not a city in the world I'd rather be right now, c'mon Munster!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭scary_tractors

futura123 wrote: »
    i dont think limerick idesreves to have the third city title!!!! the spate of crimes and violence there has seriously damaged its reputation. but then again galway has its fair share of roughies too but nowhere like limerick .

Going on your logic, futura, Dublin doesn't deserve to be the capital, perhaps we should give that to Inis Mor on account of having no crime.

Advertisement