Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me pick a mainboard

• 28-09-2008 11:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭

Hey All

I want to upgrade my current system board as I'm hitting an FSB wall that I'm hoping to get beyond with a quick board upgrade.

My current board is a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3P and I can get to 445MHZ but no further without hitting stability issues.
    I don't have too much to spend unfortunately so I'm limitted to 100-120 inc shipping.

I'm thinking of getting a P5Q, any comments?
    There's really hardly anything to choose from in that range at the moment.
    MSI, Gigabyte and Asus are all that seem to be in there and I don't want to go for MSI.

I've got an E8400 and some GSkill PC8000 memory so a 500MHz FSB would be a sweet spot for a 4.5GHz cpu speed and 1:1 memory timings.
    Thats what I'm thinking anyway.

Is that achievable with the P5Q you think?

I've just bought AWhir's old LianLi case with the triple RAD so I'm ditching my P182 and external dual rad and using the remainder of my Swiftech Ultra 220 kit. I may even leave out the MCW30 if the nortbridge cooler is decent on the board, and sell it with the RAD and some other bits to fund a waterblock for my GPU.
    The GPU is fairly hot all the time and when I turn the fan from auto to 100% the northbridge drops by 6 degrees so its probably a good idea.

Any comments positive or negative about the P5Q or anything else that might help me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

I have a P5Q but only used it for a week. In that time i did not do much overclocking on it. Think i just pushed my E6600 @ 2400mhz to 3400mhz stable. Also clocked it to 3700mhz on same board but was very unstable. Did not spend much time on it as i changed the board out for a P5Q3 Delux with 3 PCI-E slots for my crossfire set up.

It has a nice feature that saves power when idel the P5Q. I liked the board over all but wanted the second video card slot so now its not been used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Conar

Fancy selling it on?
    We can settle here and now for 5 dolla!

Or swap a P182 for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

LoL don't want a p182 but thanks for the offer :).

Board is about 3 weeks old maybe going onto its 4th now. Bought it for €105 off komplete + shipping what ever that was.
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=352390

Will sell to your self for €90 & that will be registered post, Prob will cost me :( if happy with that send me a PM. Noting missing and box & board in perfect condition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Take it to pm bitchez :)

Advertisement