Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twitching

Options
  • 29-09-2008 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I was going to post this on the 'Restless Legs' Thread but my problem is slightly different.

When I'm falling asleep my legs and arms twitch. I know a lot of people do this but I do it bad. I keep my boyfriend and myself awake and have even punched myself in the face as I fell asleep! As I'm falling asleep I get this strange sensation in my knee, normally my right one. It's like the sensation before you get pins and needles, a really heavy, dead feeling. I know when I feel that I'm going to start twitching and I have to move about, so I toss and turn until I fall asleep.

Now it's not a huge problem really but over the past few years I've been tired all the time. I'm still in college so I thought that the college lifestyle might be getting to me but no matter what I tried it didn't work. Diet or exercise changes have had no impact. I have also had tests in the doctor's for every disease going but came up clear. During an average night's sleep I will wake up briefly pretty much once every hour. I'm now wondering if I continue twitching through the night and this is waking me up, and making me tired as in the last say, 8 years I have very rarely slept an entire night through. Previously I had thought I only did it upon falling asleep.

Does anyone else suffer from this and do you have any tips? From looking on wikipedia I've discovered the name for the twitch is a myoclonic jerk, and is related to hiccups which I get every single day without fail. I also discovered a sleep disorder called Periodic Limb Disorder, which can be treated with medicine. Would it be worth seeing a doctor to see if I have a diagnosable sleep disorder to see if my sleeping improves or is it something that I should just put up with? Wikipedia (and I don't mean to rely on it or self-diagnose) does say that night twitching gets worse with age and it definitely seems to be getting worse every year.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Have you spoken to your GP about sleep apnea?

Do you snore?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

TheZohan wrote: »
    Have you spoken to your GP about sleep apnea?

Do you snore?

Completely forgot I posted here. I don't snore. Used to as a child but not anymore. Sleep apnea is where people stop breathing as they sleep isn't it? I don't think how that would affect me as I know I am twitching and I feel my arms and legs moving. That's my only issue.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

ergonomics wrote: »
    Periodic Limb Disorder, which can be treated with medicine. Would it be worth seeing a doctor to see if I have a diagnosable sleep disorder to see if my sleeping improves or is it something that I should just put up with? Wikipedia (and I don't mean to rely on it or self-diagnose) does say that night twitching gets worse with age and it definitely seems to be getting worse every year.

I'm not a doctor but I wouldn't worry too much aout it. I think evryone does it..

I'm 40+ and I twitch now and then and it doesn't bother anyone.

Advertisement