Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New opel corsas are sh1te!!!!

Options
  • 29-09-2008 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

I swear i must rant about this car...

The oul 1 recently crashed her car and during repairs was given a 07 1.2 opel corsa on hire.
    now opel, WTF!? the thing looks horrible!
    but its not this that bothered me it was when i took it for a spin i opened the door and almost wished i didn't. The stiff square doors are ugly. This car is not practical as a city car as the dashboard is in excess of 3 feet long from vents to windscreen, throw on a shallow angle windscreen that allows you to see lots of sky but no ground. the bonnet is completley invisible when inside so again parking and maneuvering is a nightmare. Why they decided for a big dash is something that bothers me especially when they could've used this space for oh i dunno some more rear leg room?

The radio is crap, the pedals position is horrible. it feels like i'm braking on ice. Its extremely under powered for its horrific size. generally crap visibility all round.

on the door, the window is split into two; a big and a little with a big panel separating them. i've yet to see the purpose of this.
    It handles like an oil tanker attempting to turn like a jet ski (rubbish!) maybe just with the one i had but the volume and heater knobs were orangey/white with bits of black that looked like worn down.

All the buttons on the steering wheel ugh. I dont mind some cars with remote controls but FFS this just takes it too far. every time i turned i pressed some button and inevitably had the radio distract me. I've driven 07 focus's which are loaded with buttons but not half as bad!

Basically IMO Opel should be ashamed of themselves. They took a good car and overhauled it with fancy gadgets and sharp curves yet seem to have forgotten simple things an engine with power?

now thats my long rant over phew I feel better now
    for those who want to know/criticize my car it's a 00 Hyundai Accent 1.3 and like a lot of things I like it because it works well and is kept simple (less problems and easier repairs god forbid)

Anyone else think they're not as good or is it just me? (the opel)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

You obviously haven't driven a Yaris so:D:D, or a Focus, or..........................:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

ninty9er wrote: »
    You obviously haven't driven a Yaris so:D:D, or a Focus, or..........................:pac:

I've driven several focus' and hated them all equally..
    ford focus 99 reg saloon
    Ford focus Hatch 00 reg total waste of my time and possibly worst experience in a car

New focuse 07 reg. 4 dr hatch. $hit visibility, crappy clutch etc..

I've drove a yaris once before and felt like i had just gotten claustrophobia.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I've driven the new Corsa, and I had no visibility problems due to the dash/windscreen, and no control problems with the pedals or steering wheel controls. I'd take one over a Hyundai any day of the week.

How tall are you?

6 foot.

Perhaps im just used to the Accent and Almera which both have smaller dashboards and better all round visibility IMO. I simply don't like that long sloping windscreen also while I dont want to be up against the windscreen I hate how far away i was in the Corsa. She only had it two days and even she didn't like it compared to her Almera

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

congo_90 wrote: »
    6 foot.

Perhaps im just used to the Accent and Almera which both have smaller dashboards and better all round visibility IMO. I simply don't like that long sloping windscreen also while I dont want to be up against the windscreen I hate how far away i was in the Corsa. She only had it two days and even she didn't like it compared to her Almera

I'd take a new Corsa over an Almera anyday....probably a 1.4 though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

You obviously haven't driven a Yaris
    Love toyota but god all mighty the yaris would make you cry, its horrible to drive!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I'd take a new Corsa over an Almera anyday....probably a 1.4 though.

-1 (and its not meant to be +)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

More and more new cars have the shallow-angled windscreen you hate so much to aid in the quest for more MPG. Its more efficient aerodynamically.
    I've driven an '07 Corsa 1.2 and while it wouldn't be my cup of tea I didn't hate it any more than any of the other cars in its class. I think it actually looks better than its predecessor (in 3-door form anyway). The radio its got is pretty much the same as the one from the old Corsa except that it'll play MP3 CD's and has a different button layout.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

I'm definitely not an Opel Fan, in fact, I find most of their stuff just boring to look at and boring to drive.
    But to say, that a 00 Hyundai Accent 1.3 is nicer to drive, then a 07 Corsa is complete rubbish. The 00 Accent is probably one the worst cars ever produced. Fact!
    Its safety rating is a joke:

http://www.euroncap.com/tests/hyundai_accent_1998/36.aspx

its terrible to drive, and was designed by a blind man assisted by his deaf german sheppard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I drive the older model Corsa in a 1.3 diesel format and I have to say I'm very fond of the car! It's probably not as solid as the newer model but I find it very economical (often better than 63 mpg) and handling doesn't bother me. I wouldn't like to be using it on motorways all the time but I find it just fine on my 35km commute each day, on country roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I've driven several focus' and hated them all equally..
    ford focus 99 reg saloon
    Ford focus Hatch 00 reg total waste of my time and possibly worst experience in a car

New focuse 07 reg. 4 dr hatch. $hit visibility, crappy clutch etc..

I've drove a yaris once before and felt like i had just gotten claustrophobia.

The focus is widely considered to be the best handling car in it's class! I think you need to take a step outside your accent:pac::)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

fix em all the time, they are rubbish, an improvement on older models though !!

well, not mechanically...

Once its not an eco-tec engine your happy enough but O.A.P's don't care about looks, it just cant have low profile tyres :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I've had a Focus (actually 2 of them) as a hire car lately while my own Passat was in for servicing and the difference the trim level makes is amazing!

EG: the first was the base spec 2008 1.6 petrol.. doors felt like tinfoil, no power at all, no toys to keep me amused (I'm used to things like cruise control, my in-dash 6 CD changer, dual zone climate control etc)

The 2nd was a 2007 Ghia model.. Not sure what engine was in this one but it had a bit more guts, tons of toys (but the steering wheel/stalks feel cluttered and the cruise control is awkward - enable on the left side, set on the right?? Why not just a dedicated stalk like on my Passat??). The doors felt a bit more solid on this too which is odd as presumably they're the same?

One thing I noticed on both though was the rear view mirror is very small and offers a very restriced view out the back (I had the saloon version on both occasions) - seemed like a very serious oversight to me.

So whilst the second was a lot better than the first one I was given, I still much prefer my 2L TDI Passat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

........Basically IMO Opel should be ashamed of themselves. They took a good car and overhauled it with fancy gadgets and sharp curves yet seem to have forgotten simple things an engine with power?..........

For power, you need to forget about the 1.2 and get a spin in one of these
    p1000555yj9.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

i would put it down to you being too used of oler cars circa 90s. most new cars have long dashs big windscreens etc such as peugeot 307, 407 corsas and the like. almeras and accents are old now. all new cars have these to try and get high safety rates when knocking down predestrians

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I'm not an Opel fan, I always HATED the corsa, judging on appearence alone. Only car I hated the look of more was the Micra. I have to say though, I like the new Corsa. Had a rental one at least once, maybe twice, can't remember. When renting this class of car I try to judge them based on the category they're in, not comparing them to something I'm used to. The Corsa faired out quite well in my books, no major faults. I had the diesel, which is the Fiat 1.3, and a good engine. I also like the current Punto. What disappointed me greatly was the Fiesta. Really over rated car, and a shame for Ford. Good job the new one is coming out, and should bring it back up to scratch.

@Kaiser - funny you should mention the Passat cruise control stalk - I actually hate that! Of all the places to put it, it's in the most awkward place! VW seem to be so reluctant to put buttons on the steering wheel, where cruise control buttons belong.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Opel Corsa and Fiat Grande Punto share the same platform and some engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Biro wrote: »
    @Kaiser - funny you should mention the Passat cruise control stalk - I actually hate that! Of all the places to put it, it's in the most awkward place! VW seem to be so reluctant to put buttons on the steering wheel, where cruise control buttons belong.
    Probably suits me better cause I'm left-handed anyway you see! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    I've had a Focus (actually 2 of them) as a hire car lately while my own Passat was in for servicing and the difference the trim level makes is amazing!

EG: the first was the base spec 2008 1.6 petrol.. doors felt like tinfoil, no power at all, no toys to keep me amused (I'm used to things like cruise control, my in-dash 6 CD changer, dual zone climate control etc)

The 2nd was a 2007 Ghia model.. Not sure what engine was in this one but it had a bit more guts, tons of toys (but the steering wheel/stalks feel cluttered and the cruise control is awkward - enable on the left side, set on the right?? Why not just a dedicated stalk like on my Passat??). The doors felt a bit more solid on this too which is odd as presumably they're the same?

The VW may feel like the better made car but the reliability and build quality of the Ford has consistently been shown to be far superior.

VW talk the talk with build quality but seldom do they walk the walk, as countless reliability surveys show.

Stephen wrote: »
    More and more new cars have the shallow-angled windscreen you hate so much to aid in the quest for more MPG. Its more efficient aerodynamically..
    I noticed this recently from most cars 04 upwards. not to be bragging about my crappy accent but i get great mpg from my little 1.3 engine..
    Cosmo K wrote: »
    I'm definitely not an Opel Fan, in fact, I find most of their stuff just boring to look at and boring to drive.
    But to say, that a 00 Hyundai Accent 1.3 is nicer to drive, then a 07 Corsa is complete rubbish. The 00 Accent is probably one the worst cars ever produced. Fact!
    Its safety rating is a joke:

http://www.euroncap.com/tests/hyundai_accent_1998/36.aspx

its terrible to drive, and was designed by a blind man assisted by his deaf german sheppard.

I hope your not going by the 2007 opel corsa safety rating or did you forget to see this? opel corsa

To be absolutly fair here is the specs on the 200opel corsa 20000

Specs of the accent you gave are for first generation models while mine is 2nd gen with increased safety

I still dont like the idea of cars having 1/4 the cabin (slight exageration but point noted) made up of a dashboard just so i can have a panoramic view of a psycholist (cyclist) or pedestrian rolling up my windscreen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

you should at least post the right links, new generation corsa is a 5 star car:

http://www.euroncap.com/tests/opel_vauxhall_corsa_2006/261.aspx

not that the accent hasn't won any awards, it won the Top Gear

"worst car of the year" award in 2004

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gear_(series_5)

series 5, episode 7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

You wouldnt be a fan of any Ferrari/new Porsche/Aston?Lambo etc as the screens are all very raked. Best stick with the Accent then :P

Advertisement