Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SYDNEY

Options
  • 29-09-2008 3:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hey

Can anyone recommend bars or things to do in Sydney ive been here a month and not finding it all its cracked up to be to be honest, Does anyone know of stuff to do or places to go?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Kinda hard to answer that one. What are you into? I'd imagine in a city the size of Sydney there's PLENTY to do. Are you into Sport? Or Music? or the Arts or what? Surely you can't be bored after a month in a brand new city?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Why not throw on your county jersey and head to Bondi Beach? :D

I didnt think much of Sydney either tbh, not my scene! Maybe you would prefere Brisbane or Melbourne more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 andymccarroll

Im in to anything really films,drinkin, soccer (killed me typing soccer but footy is something else here)

Anything that people have done here thats anyway fun or interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

surfing in manly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Well the AFL is finished, and the Rubgy LEague will be over in a week (I think). The A-League (soccer)however is just underway. While it's not as good a standard as the premiership, it might be worth checking out. There's a team in Sydney, imaginatively called Sydney FC.

As for bars etc. haven't got clue really, I live in Melbourne!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Go diving in Manly or in the bay. Sign up with Pro Dive and they do regular nights with diving and barbeques. Its a good laugh and its pretty cheap (think it was 35AUD) when I was there.

Tight arse Tuesdays cinema tickets are good value and a handy way to see movies you wouldnt really get to.

Where are you living in Sydney?

Wander down to the Rocks and watch the street performers on a Saturday morning, they are a good buzz. Take the jetboat from Darling harbour for a bit of a giggle, and while you are there check out the aquarium there.

Take a look in the Haymarkets for a bargain, and grab some sushi on your way up Georges Street. Take the train to Milsons Point and go to Luna Park.

Go to the AMP building and take a look around the city. Drop in on the Irish in PJs bar.

Take the Route 69 drinking tour with all the rest of the lunatics that get on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

AFL game, Bridge Walk, The Rocks, Opera House, Sydney Tower, Blue Mountains, White Water Rafting, Toranga Zoo, Races on Stephens Day, Harbour Cruise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Hey

Can anyone recommend bars or things to do in Sydney ive been here a month and not finding it all its cracked up to be to be honest, Does anyone know of stuff to do or places to go?

Thanks

Oh wise up there is tons to do ,,,,,,,,:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭deadfingers

If you have a couple of mates and you live in the east you could enter a tag rubgy 7-a-side team. They play in queens park in Bondi every Wednesday..or if you perfer you can join a 5-a-side soccer team. In the summer months the local PCYC have a summer comp, played every Monday night. As for bars try the golden shef (spelling??) in Double bay on a Saturday afternoon...lovely if the weather is good. Try the bars around Paddington and Surry Hills normally pretty good. There is lots to do granted I spend most of my weekends nursing a sore head :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭pucan

Jump on a random ferry at circular quay and take a trip around the harbour
    Pub crawl around the rocks
    Bondi to coogee walk
    grab the sydney morning herald on a Friday or Saturday for events guides

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

or if you perfer you can join a 5-a-side soccer team. In the summer months the local PCYC have a summer comp, played every Monday night.

Can you give any more info on this please. There's a few of us looking to play over the summer. Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭deadfingers

Coileach dearg,

Yeah basically the PCYC are community groups set up by police but dont let that alarm you I have been in them lots of times and I have yet to see a cop or crims for that matter. They have centres all over Sydney, the one I went to was the one in Glebe.

It is indoor soccer which may be the only downside

Here is a link where you should find all the information you need

http://www.pcycnsw.org/mosparts/futsal/index.htm

Although from the web page it looks like its for small kids its not. I guess ring the one that is closest to you and ask them.

Best of luck

Cheers deadfingers. The one in Glebe is probably the nearest to me too. I'll give them a call to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭pucan

Cheers deadfingers. The one in Glebe is probably the nearest to me too. I'll give them a call to see.

How did you get on?

pucan wrote: »
    How did you get on?

I tried to call them today and had no luck so dropped them an email. They must be away for the long weekend so I'll try them next week.

Have organized a Sunday kickabout in Centennial park and a Wednesday kickabout in Alexandria though.

Advertisement