Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much might a security man cost in a Managed Complex?

Options
  • 28-09-2008 6:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi,

Typically how much would having round the clock security on site add to a service charge. Does anyone have experience of a management co. trying to introduce this and pass the costs onto the owners?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

Just over a year ago we were quoted a composite rate (averaging out sundays, nights, bank holidays, etc) of €18 per hour for one security guard for ten hours a night. It's probably a little higher now but you should be able to figure out how much it would cost you for 24/7 or for more than one guards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭DennisSabre

markpb wrote: »
    Just over a year ago we were quoted a composite rate (averaging out sundays, nights, bank holidays, etc) of €18 per hour for one security guard for ten hours a night. It's probably a little higher now but you should be able to figure out how much it would cost you for 24/7 or for more than one guards.

Many thanks. Out of interest, did you bring in security and, if so, did it make any significant difference to any anti-social behaviour that you may have had in the development?

We have always had a security presence (we re-tender it every two years) so it's hard to say what difference it makes. They chase people away when they're hanging round the car parks and they've caught people trying to break into cars before but we still have some problems. The show of force acts as a deterrant and it keeps our insurance company happy. We have an 16 acre site and one security guard so I wouldn't expect miracles.

Again many thanks. Do you think that security is effective in dealing with the drunken and rowdy behaviour of residents and their guests in communal areas.

It depends on the party. Some groups will tone it down a bit after being paid a visit, others will tell the security guard to pfo. If the gardai aren't having a terribly busy night, they sometimes come out after he rings. They don't have any powers either but the sight of a uniform usually does the trick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I don't know, we had security to deal with people from outside the block for the most part. I think strong management is what is needed to deal with drunkenness from inside.

I don't know, we had security to deal with people from outside the block for the most part. I think strong management is what is needed to deal with drunkenness from inside.

Even with strong management it can be difficult. Circulars, letters, fines and notices don't really help when residents or their guests are shouting outside your bedroom window or vandalizing property at 4 in the morning. Going out to ask them to stop is quite dangerous. The guards don't want to know. If you have any suggestions as to what the MC can do let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Again many thanks. Do you think that security is effective in dealing with the drunken and rowdy behaviour of residents and their guests in communal areas.

If they are residents, they are paying his wage, so they may not feel like they have to do anything he says; "you're here to protect us not pester us... etc"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I used to have a guard on for 12 hours at night in a complex I looked after, he was supposed to do a round every hour i.e. visit every corner and every floor. If he moved out of his office twice a night I'd say we were lucky.

We ended up getting a mobile patrol - where the guy stops in on site every couple of hours and does a complete tour of the place (they installed electronic tag points around the place so you'd proof that he visited each spot 4,5 or 6 times a night).

It cut the cost by a quarter as compared to a static guy. The mobile patrol would also repond to emergency calls (usually quicker than the local guards), so residents felt that they were getting value.

Just a thought :)

Edit - sorry, should have add ended that by saying that I'm sure that there are many companys who employ good static guards who will do as they are told.

The mobile patrol idea sounds good. Did you find that residents abused it much by calling the emergeny number for trivial things?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

We've been quoted 250 euro per unit (80 units in development) as one of 6 developments (ish) who will share 24/7 security patrols (neighbouring phases of large development). It's pricey but it's what the Gardai have recommended. We don't have a lot of problems here but we do have have runs of trouble, mostly car break ins.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

Hi there, just wondering what area you are in - the idea of sharing with other developments seems a good idea... PM me if you don't want to post the area

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

The mobile patrol idea sounds good. Did you find that residents abused it much by calling the emergeny number for trivial things?

Apologies for the delay, no surprisingly, not much abuse of the service. Usually the call would be initially qualified by the property manager who would then get the security guys out. It may add a couple of minutes to the response but it can cut out any unnecessary call outs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Just get a few video camera and this:
    More effective than a guard, used extensively in continental europe and the US.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/12/05/earlyshow/living/main1095665.shtml

Advertisement