Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripped off by Canadian Car Rental Firm??

Options
  • 29-09-2008 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭

What kind of comeback do I have here?

Went to Canada for 12 days and rented a car at the airport from Avis Car Hire.

Nice guy at reception seemed to do us a great deal (compared to ignorant dude at Hertz anyway). $448 for a lovely Crysler car for the 12 days.

So, off we went... had great holiday yada, yada yada... then we returned said car on our departure date (not late, fully fueled, etc etc).. only to be charged $650 with no explanation.

Our earlier quote was all-inclusive with tax etc... When I questioned this at the desk the wagon at reception just stonewalled me. I hadn't got the copy of the orignal quote I had gotten (went missing in the process of holiday!) and she claimed to have no record of it and that was that.

We didnt pay up front as I wanted to at the start - big mistake. They had already charged the credit card and that was that.

Is there anything I can do??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Without the original quote, there's not a lot you can do. Are you sure the original quote was everything, was their tax to be added, or anything like that?

Contact the credit card about the charge maybe, but without the quote they might not be able to do anything either.

If the car company charged you without your signature, you may well have a case. The credit card company will ask them for the proof you authorised, if they don't have it, then it will be refunded.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'd say taxes because there are tripple taxes (Canada, County and City taxes are all applied) that is the difference honestly (i.e. when they said taxes included they meant road tax). Most qoutes don't include the taxes which would explain the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The price difference is about 45%, that's a lot of tax. There must be something else. Were you given a receipt at the end that details what all the charges are? Maybe they added insurance or something to it? Also, GPS is normally charged as an extra too, so if you had one, it might not have been on the original quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    What kind of comeback do I have here?

Went to Canada for 12 days and rented a car at the airport from Avis Car Hire.

Nice guy at reception seemed to do us a great deal (compared to ignorant dude at Hertz anyway). $448 for a lovely Crysler car for the 12 days.

So, off we went... had great holiday yada, yada yada... then we returned said car on our departure date (not late, fully fueled, etc etc).. only to be charged $650 with no explanation.

Our earlier quote was all-inclusive with tax etc... When I questioned this at the desk the wagon at reception just stonewalled me. I hadn't got the copy of the orignal quote I had gotten (went missing in the process of holiday!) and she claimed to have no record of it and that was that.

We didnt pay up front as I wanted to at the start - big mistake. They had already charged the credit card and that was that.

Is there anything I can do??

You should go on the Avis site, do a pretend booking, and enter the same details. At least you will get a clue as to what the figure should have been. I'd also ask Avis for a copy of the quote and the credit-card authorisation document.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Did you give your email? Lots of companies like to send you a copy of said reciepts, in case you loose the hard copy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

looking on their website the approximate price for a chrysler 300 is €617 and the chevvy impala is priced at approximately €460 that is collecting and dropping the car off at the airport in vancouver. also this is the approximate cost for a chrysler 300 in us dollars for 12 days https://www.avis.com/AvisWeb/rentalsupport/ShowCarGroupDetails?ACTION=RESERVATION&CAR_GROUP_CODE=XD&LOCATION_CODE=ONT&JS_ELEMENT_INDEX=6&RATE=907.94+USD&DAYS=12+Day&JS_FORM_NAME=CAR_AVAILABILITY&JS_ELEMENT_NAME=CAR_GROUP_CODE

but this does not include almost $200 of taxes and tourist surcharges

Advertisement