Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German Food

• 29-09-2008 9:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi everyone,
    Would anyone know where I could buy German food in Dublin?
    Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Aldi & Lidl are good bets - meats and the like.

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/offers_week40thursday08.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

olaola wrote: »
    Aldi & Lidl are good bets
    +1

Also good for sauerkrauts, mustards (senf) & sauces/pickles.

You should be able to pick up pork hocks (schweinehaxe) in most butchers too.

Tchuss!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Leah-G1

Thanks,I'm pretty stuck.Have to put on a spread in work in honor of Germany national day of Unity of the 3rd of October. I cant cook anything as I have no access to a cooker so it all has to basically has to come in packets ready to go!!
    Does anyone know of any typical German desserts that are easily enough available here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Creamy pastries. Apfeltorte, apfelschorle. Basically, pastries, and some with apples. If you go to a posh bakery, you'll probably manage to get something close.

I'd also go for German cheeses and German cured ham. For these, you could try Fallon & Byrne or Liston's.

You could also pre-make kartoffelsalat (potato salad), I'm sure there's an easy recipe on the interslice. Sauerkraut's fine, but depending on preference, it should be served warm, with warm dishes. At least that's how I like it.

If you want German booze, beer is the obvious option, but German wine is an alternative, but pricey. Otherwise: schnapps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭F.A.

You could opt for a crumble cake with either apples or plums, you know, 'Streuselkuchen'. That's very German and fits in perfectly with the season as well. If you go for apples, you might want to add raisins and put a bit of cinnamon on the topping.

Oh, I just read you don't have access to a cooker. Hmmm... Apart from Lidl and Aldi, you could try some Polish shops for desserts, they offer things like pastries that are just as common and popular in Germany.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

On that same page - they have 'german bakes' too
    http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/58_7098.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Leah-G1

Thanks everyone!You have been a great help..looks like Aldi is the place to go! :)

Advertisement