Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cancelled '3'...where to next???

Options
  • 29-09-2008 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

ok so i finally was able to cancel my 3 contract after a year of bad service,
    now where do i go next? i have no fixed line or any possibility of getting one anytime soon.....so its either o2 or vodafone.

any opinions on these?? donegal area btw.

ps. can either of these be used to connect to xbox live?? & nintendo online (there was some problem with shared ip address on 3 i think) not for online gaming-just for downloads etc.

thanks.......
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Three, Vodafone & O2 are not really suitable for on-line gaming with the likes of x-box live, in additionj to this while they can be setup to share a connection for use with x-box's etc its not an ideal setup and may cost you a few euro depending on how you do it.

NTL in your area at all?

[EDIT] I take it there not due to your location, whats limiting you getting a phone line>?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sandt

i dont want to use it for online gaming, just for downloading the odd demo etc....il just leave it on overnight.

no NTL here. renting a flat at the mo while building our house so no phone line.

just looking for a service that a decent speed for normal surfing & youtube etc.. seems that o2 & voda are my only options & i know there not great!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I'd go with O2 if your not in a highly populated area.

My da gets 1Mbps up at least all the time and near that down (7 hundred and something kbps) and the ping is around 120ms-150ms so my little brother can game on Xbox Live with it.

I think its probably got to do with how close we are to the mast as well as nobody else in the area being on it :D

any people in the donegal area have experience using voda or o2 up here??
    same evening lag as 3??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

It's highly dependant on where you live, and not just "Donegal". My O2 is fine, 300 yards down the road isn't..

Go into a shop, get it, try it, return it within 14 days (or 30, can't remember) if it's unmanageable.

• Advertisement

just checked the o2 website...re: 30 day happiness.....it finishes today!!
    i wont be able to get to my nearest o2 shop today.

does anyone know if they are starting some kinda new promotion after today?

looked on the o2 website today and cant see anything about the '30 day happiness garuntee' i guessing they've stopped it!!

no more try before you buy :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I'm sure there is still a trial, ask in store or just ring them.

They all have trials so they'd be at a huge disadvantage if they didn't have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 SteveAwol

hi there, i went on to satellite with national broadband, the speed is 1 mb but you do get free calls as well

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

sandt wrote: »
    any people in the donegal area have experience using voda or o2 up here??
    same evening lag as 3??

I know someone on O2 near the border - same story. It's just usable for browsing. It really depends on where you are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

sandt wrote: »
    ok so i finally was able to cancel my 3 contract after a year of bad service,
    now where do i go next? i have no fixed line or any possibility of getting one anytime soon.....so its either o2 or vodafone.

any opinions on these?? donegal area btw.

ps. can either of these be used to connect to xbox live?? & nintendo online (there was some problem with shared ip address on 3 i think) not for online gaming-just for downloads etc.

thanks.......

where bouts in donegal are ya, town or county, use mine around donegal town/mountcharles sometimes, town not to bad, aroung 1 Mbps, mountcharles, 200kbps to 1Mbps

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

well you may laugh, i know a few people around Mayo here who cancelled their three BB as it was crap. 2 went over to o2 and 1 to vodafone. Vodafone is worst than three for cutting out in the evening, o2's coverage as well is not great but a little more stable.

They both had huge shocks when they went abroad with their BB, Very expensive to use abroad, unlike three if you go to a three networked country.

So they have actually regreted moving off three.

Perhaps three isnt that bad?

I know recently, I have never had such fast connections, just this damn white tcp error is so annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

If you were 3 for a year - then you have a data modem ? - one option would be to get it unlocked and either move pre-pay with voda/o2 - or go for a o2 clear 30 days.
    A bit more expensive - however it keeps your options open.

Advertisement