Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Exposed Felt + laths for 3 months

• 29-09-2008 10:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi all,
    just wondering if having exposed felt and lath on a roof for the past 3 months is any harm.
    To explain my situation - there are 3 roofs to my house i.e. middle main body of the house (story & half) and 2 side 1 story extensions as such.
    Anyways according to my builder he wanted to get the 2 side gables plastered before he got the roofers back to put the slates on (to avoid getting plaster on these slatse). That was 3 months ago:confused:. Anyways the plasters just made there appearance late last week, so hopefully we'll get the slates on the 2 single story sections of the house soon.

My worry is that it couldnt have been good having the felt and in particular the laths exposed for that lenght of time, especially becuase it hasn't stopped raining. Perhaps I am worrying about nothing. What do you think?

thanks a mill
    Sharon

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

It depends on the type of felt.
    You should enquire with the manufacturer.

In general most / all breathable felts are affected by UV rays, but most would be designed to be exposed to same for a certain period.

Maybe the cloudy weather has been a "silver lining" for you!:)

It should be fine but check with the technical dept of your manufacturer, for some peace of mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Lynch32

Many Thanks RKQ

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Slates

Lynch32 wrote: »
    Many Thanks RKQ
    Most underlays are good for 6 months on the roof, get a look at the relevant IAB/BBA cert which will let you know the time span

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Lynch32

Thanks. However to be honest I was more concerned about the laths than the felt i.e getting wet so often.

Anyways I went down to the site last night and I was furious. There were 2 leaks in the felt which caused the dryling and plaster boards underneath to get soaked. I am so annoyed becuase as I mentioned this roof has been exposed for 3 months now. All the builder had to do (which I constantly asked him) was to get the 2 side gables plastered so the roofers could return.

Anyways I assume drylinging shouldn't get wet and will need to be removed around this area. Is this correct? Can somebody tell me if drylining should not get wet or will it try out and be ok as is. I guess I should really ring the kingspan.

Cheers
    S

Advertisement