Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noise at rear.... oooooer!

Options
  • 29-09-2008 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

I get an irregular noise coming from my rear sprockets, It only happens in the very low gears going uphill, i.e when under pressure.

The gears in the rear are properly indexed,
    The jockey wheels are all aligned correctly,
    The sprockets have only 1600miles on them and do not appear to be loose, have removed and re-tightened.
    The noise seems to be a 'light' mettallic scrape noise,
    It happens when in and out of the saddle,
    There are no stiff links in the chain, the chain is not worn and all is lubed well.

Any one have any suggestions to what it could be?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Are you out of the saddle when you hear it?

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

Both in and out the saddle

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

OK. And are you positive that it's from the rear sprockets? For example, are you sure that the chain isn't rubbing the front derailleur when in that gear combo?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Could the derailleur be rubbing a spoke? This would only happen in the innermost sprocket.

el tonto wrote: »
    OK. And are you positive that it's from the rear sprockets? For example, are you sure that the chain isn't rubbing the front derailleur when in that gear combo?

Yeah defo, got my buddy to tail me, its almost like a 'straining' type noise.

• Advertisement

blorg wrote: »
    Could the derailleur be rubbing a spoke? This would only happen in the innermost sprocket.

No not that either, its driving me nuts!!!!!!!! Maybe if i put an extra chain link in? dunno now just clutching at straws.

Advertisement