Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Löwenbräu Oktoberfest Bier, Köstritzer Schwarzbier, DAB, Licher Wheat Beer in Aldi

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Seen this in the aldi leaflet there at the weekend!!!

The schwarzbier and wheat beer with the glass looks interesting. Definitely gona give them a go and prob give the Löwenbräu a go too!
    Had the DAB before, not bad, but nothing spectacular either!

Might pass on the mustard!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Löwenbräu's Oktoberfestbier is one of the best of the six Munich ones, though not quite as good as the version Spaten make. Köstritzer is really good as well, and it's always great to see more dark beers on the Irish market amongst the endless stream of yellow lagers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

slayerking wrote: »
    Might pass on the mustard!!
    Even if it was empty it is a reasonable price for the glass!

I wish more companies would do stuff like this, resuable containers, be it microwaveable soups or glasses like this. There is a german mustard in tesco I get which also has a reusable glass, the top is a snap on plastic one, so no threads on it for a cap, but they are only around 150ml.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Time for our 2nd annual Oktoberfest! Great success last year... did all the saussies on the BBQ and downloaded some authentic Hofbräuhaus music from the interweb. Cue much clonking of glasses and stupid dancing. Great excuse for the last BBQ of the year :)

Will they have those beers in now, or just from Thurs?
    And just wondering if anyone has seen the nuremburgers in Aldi/Lidl yet? They've been MIA for a while :eek:

olaola wrote: »
    Will they have those beers in now, or just from Thurs?
    Apparently they're permanent fixtures and "new for 2008". Not seen them in any branches yet though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,894 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

BeerNut wrote: »
    Löwenbräu's Oktoberfestbier is one of the best of the six Munich ones, though not quite as good as the version Spaten make. Köstritzer is really good as well, and it's always great to see more dark beers on the Irish market amongst the endless stream of yellow lagers.
    I have to agree. I have tried all (except Paulaner) of this years Oktoberfest vintage in bottle and Löwenbraü is definitely drinkable.
    Augustiner is clear by a decent margin the best, then much of a muchness between Löwenbraü/ Spaten and Hofbraü in that order.

At the end of the pecking order Hacker-Pschorr this year is unbelievably hoppy and I struggled to even finish a bottle of it. From past experience Paulaner also has me struggling to finish a pint which is why I didnt even bother trying it this year. Its a pity and a little strange as the regular Lager beer from Hacker/ Paulaner is way nicer than Spaten/ Löwenbraü.

Oh, and back on topic, the best deal here looks to me to be the DAB for a euro a bottle. Thats not much more than you'd pay in germany for what is a very acceptable beer!! I'm not going to even say anything about warsteiner. (It speaks volumes that I find it a good thing that it has been replaced by becks as the standard lager on german inter-city trains)

Picked up the Löwenbräu, Köstritzer and Licher Wheat beer in the Longford Aldi there this morning.
    Looking around the beer section this morning, Aldi's selection of quality beer is growing nicely, and cheap too!!! Hope it continues.:)

No DAB or no Mustard for some reason!! :(
    Was told it'd be in tomorrow or sat.

slayerking wrote: »
    Aldi's selection of quality beer is growing nicely, and cheap too!
    They used to do the fantastic Bateman's XXXB for €2. I wish they'd bring it back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

Leffe is the nicest beer available in Ireland. I love it. can only find it in dunnes/superquinn. 7.99 for 4 bottles. but its lovely. strong enough too. it'll blow your head away quicker than most beers. nice after taste of honey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭donaghs

I'll be driving over there just for the Köstritzer Schwarzbier. I've only ever seen it once in Redmonds, Ranelagh. And they charge a lot more!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Was just aboot to post up a thread aboot this. I am heading over in a while to get some Köstritzer, love the stuff a fantastic darkbeer. DAB is also a nice beer.

:( The only had the Lowenbrau and the Warsteiner. Not to fear there is another Aldi not 50 minutes away :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Great to see then doing good beer again

At the end of the pecking order Hacker-Pschorr this year is unbelievably hoppy and I struggled to even finish a bottle of it. From past experience Paulaner also has me struggling to finish a pint which is why I didnt even bother trying it this year. Its a pity and a little strange as the regular Lager beer from Hacker/ Paulaner is way nicer than Spaten/ Löwenbraü.

Was that just the bottled version, as i was in Munich last week end and cant say I noticed it was that hoppy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭knightmare

Picked up some Kostriker schwarzbier earlier & am on my second bottle. First time drinking it & man is it lovely juice.
    It was shifting fairly fast in the Limerick aldi (dublin road). Unfortunelty they had no lichen packs. Hopefully they will be in over the weekend!

knightmare wrote: »
    Picked up some Kostriker schwarzbier earlier & am on my second bottle. First time drinking it & man is it lovely juice.
    It was shifting fairly fast in the Limerick aldi (dublin road). Unfortunelty they had no lichen packs. Hopefully they will be in over the weekend!

Had a bottle of the Köstritzer Schwarzbier there tonight too, it really is a gorgeous beer. Lovely balance, some hops up front, and light body, very clean slighty dry finish, I could easily drink this all night. :pac:
    Definately gona buy another few bottles of that over the weekend.

Had they many in the ALDI in Longford slayerking? Im heading up there tomorrow for a match so may try get some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Got me a Licher pack yesterday in Aldi Galway
    I've never tasted that particular beer before. I have a feeling I will be tasting it again. Great light wheat beer, nice head and quite drinkable. A tenner for 5 500ml bottles and a nice tall glass with the Licher crest on it and you gotta wonder why they don't do this all year round.

HB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭interlocked

They hedn't one shagging bottle of Oktoberfestbier or DAB in Castlebar yestersday evening, a very obliging manager even checked in the storeroom for me, he said they had a huge delivery of it that morning and it just flew off the shelf. I got the last few Schwarzbier and a few packs of Leicher

I blame the students, the little feckers:eek:

Had they many in the ALDI in Longford slayerking? Im heading up there tomorrow for a match so may try get some.

When I was in there on Thursday mornin around 11 ish they had a small section with the beers in it. They had a load of boxes of Warsteiner!!, but not a whole load of Kostritzer and Lowenbrau, maybe 10-12 bottles of each on the shelf. They only had about 3 boxed of the Licher Wheat Beer with the glass.
    Hopefully they have more supplies in the store room, just limited shelf space!!!
    No DAB at all but they said they were gettin it in.

I'll prob be in Aldi later on tonight, I'll report back then on the stock levels!!

Just back from Aldi in Longford. Not much there at all!
    No Lowenbrau!!
    No Kostritzer!!
    No DAB!!

They have a good bit of Warsteiner and about 3 Licher Wheat Beer packs!!
    :mad:

• Advertisement

Cheers for the update, damn them to hell! May go via Roscommon to Longford and check out there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

went into the galway aldi yesterday. they had one bottle of Löwenbräu and nothing else. well... they still had Spaten and Schöfferhofer

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

It was grea catching this thread - got Kostitzer (which I quite like) & Lowenbrau and herself got Licher.

Strangely the Aldi in Skehard Road had beer even though I thought that they only had a wine licence and they've only been selling wine up to now.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭pdebarra

Was tipped off about the Löwenbräu, and found out quite by accident that they also had the others there. God damn their no-credit-card policy: didn't have time to go to an ATM and back, so will be having to return to pick up some DAB (which they didn't have on Fri) and a few Köstritzer - I drank this for the first time recently, in Germany, so I'm pleased to find it available in Letterkenny!

Will hope to pick up some DAB tomorrow. Memo to self: go to ATM first!

Anyone know if Aldi stores will be restocking these?
    Will they be available from now on?...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

got some licher this evening in galway. tbh the glass was what i was after but i must say that i really enjoyed the beer.

great stuff!

Advertisement