Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breast milk

Options
  • 29-09-2008 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

A friend of mine wants to know if when a woman is breast feeding the milk comes from one hole or lots of little holes! Despite having studied biology in school, this has never come up, does anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

:confused:

From lots of holes..altho they arnt called holes (and I cant remember, thinking pores..or ducts, I dunno)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Each milk gland has it's own duct and they are space around the centre of the nipple.

http://www.babies.sutterhealth.org/breastfeeding/bf_production.html#Anatomy%20of%20the%20female%20breast
    Anatomy of the female breast

The nipple and areola (the dark area around the nipple) enlarge and darken during pregnancy. This may help your baby latch on by providing a clear “target.”

The small bumps on the areola are called Montgomery glands. They produce a natural oil that cleans, lubricates, and protects the nipple during pregnancy and breastfeeding. This oil contains an enzyme that kills bacteria and makes breast creams unnecessary.

Use only water to clean your breasts. Soaps, lotions or alcohol might remove this protective oil.

Each nipple has 15 to 20 openings for milk to flow.

When your baby nurses, the action of baby’s jaw and tongue pressing down on the milk sinuses creates suction. This causes the milk to flow out of your breast and into your baby’s mouth.

http://mammary.nih.gov/Reviews/lactation/Neville001/index.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mammary_gland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

Why would they want to know that,weird
    :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Why would any questions about the human body be werid ?

What i mean did they see someone bf and want to know.Its not really a question thats on everybodys lips.There is another theory maybe they want to try it and wonder whats the best way to latch on.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Sincho

Tis an odd question alright but then hes an odd guy! It somehow came up in conversation with his girlfriend ( I don't want to know why!) and I couldn't answer for him so thanks for the info!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

That's new information. I thought it was one hole :o

If it was just the one hole the poor child would be drownded[sp] and more of my clothes would be ruined it would be like a flash flood.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Its more like a shower than a squirt then?

Its more like a shower than a squirt then?
    Actually thats not a bad way to describe it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

That's new information. I thought it was one hole :o

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

marti101 wrote: »
    Actually thats not a bad way to describe it

Well when you've been around as many tits as I have.....

(my da owns cattle :o )

Advertisement