Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barca/Espanyol Crowd Trouble.

• 29-09-2008 12:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭

new-ReduceImgWidth.asp?foto=foto15550.jpg&width=250
    Barcelona continue to climb the table albeit after a highly controversial win against local rivals, Espanyol, at the Montjuic Olympic stadium last night.

With the visitors still trailing 1-0 to a 20th minute Corominas goal, despite being up against only ten men since Nene's dismissal on the stroke of half-time, a small group of radical 'Boixos nois' Barça fans disrupted proceedings by throwing flares at the home supporters, forcing referee Ibáñez to call the players off the pitch in the 68th minute.

Fortunately, nobody was injured and the police were able to restore order rapidly enough for play to resume nine minutes later.

Imagine people on heres reaction if this had have happened in a PL match?

cannot believe it has gone without mention here.

If this happened at Utd/Liverpool/Arsenal/Chelsea every ****er on this site would be up on their high horses calling for bans, empty stadiums, the english "disease" etc etc etc, but because it happened in Spain it doesnt even merit mention anywhere.

Laughable tbh.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Was it on Sky?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

yea I think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Hmmm then everyone must have seen it! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Jayzus overreaction much? How widely reported has it been? I haven't seen mention of it anywhere.

But rest assured that if I had, I would have immediately started a thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The Espanyol fans should never have been told Steve Finnan wasn't available to take on Barca singe-handedly. The poor guys had no choice but to run amok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,447 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

stovelid wrote: »
    The Espanyol fans should never have been told Steve Finnan wasn't available to take on Barca singe-handedly. The poor guys had no choice but to run amok.

It was the Barcelona 'fans' that started to trouble.

The group that started it have been banned from the Nou Camp for the last 6 years, so Espanyol really should have been watching for them. I honestly believe if a group of United/Liverpool/Arsenal etc fans had been banned by their own club for the last 6 years, they wouldn't get anywhere near an away game either.

A flare was thrown and the Espanyol fans rammed the barriers to get out from under the Barca fans (in Spain the away fans are normally up in the upper tiers).

AFAIK that group, called the 'Boixos nois' have been banned from the Camp Nou for quite a few years since Laporta took over. Laporta's opponents paid them to cause trouble. Laporta got death threats and after he and his son were physically assaulted after a match, hence the ban. Now that does beg the question of how in the fcuk they got tickets to the Barca end which I would assume is gotten through the club. they are about as radical a fan group as you can get.

That kind of thing is viewed with a bit less of a frenzy than in England because they never had the same leevl of crowd problems as the English did in the 70's and 80's. Not saying it's right because, well, it isn't but that's why there was less of a fuss about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Teething times in Spain as the league has to deal with a new bred of fan-the away fan.

Only about 5 years ago FCB took 150 to Espanyol. :eek:

You could see on Sky when RM played in Santander recently, the very temp looking section the RM fans were put into with the perspex all around them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Hmmm then everyone must have seen it! :pac:

Nope was watching Derry City match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Mr Alan wrote: »

If this happened at Utd/Liverpool/Arsenal/Chelsea every ****er on this site would be up on their high horses calling for bans, empty stadiums, the english "disease" etc etc etc, but because it happened in Spain it doesnt even merit mention anywhere.

Laughable tbh.

Imagine if there were more people on the forum who actually watched spanish football... The viewing public of this forum is predominantly English Premier League focused, so I don't see it as not being mentioned being that much of a surprise...

The group that started these problems in the derby game have actually been banned from the Nou Camp for a long time...

This is not a footballing issue... Its mindless thugs who somehow managed to get tickets for a game..

Spain does have crowd problems, which have been highly publicised over the past few years.

• Advertisement

Spain does have crowd problems, which have been highly publicised over the past few years.

Exactly but their problems arent as bad as anything the English or Italians have had.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Laughable tbh.

didn't hear about it - but why are you always trying to start arguments?
    seriously what is wrong with you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Laughable tbh.

It was mentioned in the La Liga thread. I'm sure if there were more fans of la Liga on this board, and not those which totally immerse themselves in the EPL, there might have been a bit more reaction to it here.

It was a disgrace what happened the other night. How did they get tickets? How did they get the flares in? Why are away fans put in such high tiers where such a thing is allowed happened? Do they need to go down the dutch route and have away fans behind netting at all times?

This is not a footballing issue... Its mindless thugs who somehow managed to get tickets for a game..

How do you know they're not football fans? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Laughable tbh.

Agenda at all?

I saw footage from a PL game in the last week where police had to draw batons and mete out some calm.

Can't find a link to this, so can't verify it yet - but someone else must have seen it.

Still can't find it. I know there was trouble in a lower division game, and at Hull v Arsenal, but I sure that wasn't it.

This thread is a farce, a FARCE i tells ya!

Funny thing is, is that the thread is about the fact there wasn't already a thread rather than the actual incident! :D

gimmick wrote: »
    Funny thing is, is that the thread is about the fact there wasn't already a thread rather than the actual incident! :D
    farcical. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Zebra3 wrote: »
    How do you know they're not football fans? :confused:

Do I really have to explain how 'football' violence works?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

this is a thread attempting to point out that the next time Liverpool get to a European final we will be refered to as the worst in Europe for bunking into the ground. The next time Utd go to Roma, the police will batter them as the aggressors in a hostile ground. The next time Spurs go to Spain, the riot police will rush their end and knock heads again etc etc.

and through all this people will look down at the English fans, people will discuss how they "cant help it", "its just the way they are" and how its part of the "English disease".

people will come on here and use it as an excuse to beat the English fans with-if you think it doesnt happen, check out old threads and comments in them.

But yet when a very serious incident happens in Spain, it goes seemingly un-noticed. I just wanted to point that out....if people think it didnt merit a thread, dont post in it and it will die, thought that fairly obvious.

• Advertisement

What about all the crows trouble in South America, Africa, Eastern Europe? There are not threads about them either due to the fact that very few people, if any, have any interest in said countries leagues. If we were to start a thread about every crowd infraction, this would become a dull and depressinmg forum. Even more so in fact :)

Re "The English Disease". They have form, so rightly or wrongly people will always harp back at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Agenda at all?

I saw footage from a PL game in the last week where police had to draw batons and mete out some calm.

Can't find a link to this, so can't verify it yet - but someone else must have seen it.

Still can't find it. I know there was trouble in a lower division game, and at Hull v Arsenal, but I sure that wasn't it.
    It was Swansea v Cardiff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

gimmick wrote: »
    What about all the crows trouble in South America, Africa, Eastern Europe?

Damn crows, when will we learn. They said cages weren't the answer but look now. :pac::pac:

Do I really have to explain how 'football' violence works?

Please do Mr Expert. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

fullstop wrote: »
    It was Swansea v Cardiff.

So England are getting a bad rep off the back of Welsh hoolies now?:)

The next time Utd go to Roma, the police will batter them as the aggressors in a hostile ground.

At least now, one year down the line, you finally admit that our fans were poorly treated!

Thing is this was a disgraceful moment for the Barca fans, hadn't seen the Boixos Nois at a Barca match in a long time, they obviously made their point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

The Boixos Nois are a radical group of Barca supporters. All away tickets were distributed by Espanyol, so it was their responsibility to not let Boixos in if they wanted to. It is also the responsibility of the home side to check for flares, as they are banned at stadia. Pericos (basically a group of Espanyol supporters) started throwing coins at the Boixos to try and start a fight.

It's not FC Barcelona's responsibility to stop and search their fans at another clubs ground, especially as all tickets to the away fans were sold directly by Espanyol and not FCB. How is it Laporta's fault out of all people? The same guy that banned the boixos from the camp nou and the same guy who's life was threatened by them time after time? Flares shouldnt be allowed in stadia. Full stop.

The Boixos are trouble, always have been and always will be. Now I'm not condoning what the Boixos do, but it isn't as surprising as some people are making it out to be. Obviously you people haven't watched a Real Betis vs Sevilla derby in the past 5 years.... =P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Happens throughout Europe on a weekly basic, Italy, Poland, Croatia, etc...

Sure most of you's probably had a heart-attack seeing a football match with a flare at it on Sky.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

eZe^ wrote: »
    The Boixos are trouble, always have been and always will be. Now I'm not condoning what the Boixos do

Really?
    eZe^ wrote: »
    I hope the Boixos Nois launch another flare on those Perico *****...

I agree with you re. Betis vs Sevilla, had a very illuminating conversation with a bar owner in Sevilla the day after my clump from El Plod when I was nursing my wounds. Some hair raising stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Really?

I agree with you re. Betis vs Sevilla, had a very illuminating conversation with a bar owner in Sevilla the day after my clump from El Plod when I was nursing my wounds. Some hair raising stuff.

It was a joke. Relax.. I'd never actually condone violence. But you're right, the crowd trouble between particular derby fans is just as bad in Spain as it is anywhere else in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Pfffff come on Red Star-Partizan game on sunday to see troubles....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

and q the my countries thugs are better then your countries thugs debate lol

anyways, it was nothing too serious in fairness, the problem was made worse though when the barca players went to celebrate in front of those fans after scoring. specifically to the corner where the flares came from

that makes barcelona look bad and the players let themselves down also. i know its easy to get carried away when you snatched a game when you probably should have lost and you rush to look for your fans to celebrate with them. but to specifically go towards the group that had been involved in the trouble was foolish

Pep and Puyol didnt want anything to do with them however. At least they had a bit of intelligence about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

I blame Rangers....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Eirebear wrote: »
    I blame Rangers....

+1000:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

People still go on about cromwell ffs, so I suppose its not surprising people harp on about english football violence of the 80s.

If you could just hang on a sec though, i want to get a few beers and a deckchair so i can sit back and watch the celtic fans have a go at the "Hun" and the Bohs fans have a go at Rovers. Can someone dust off the youtube clip out as well, we haven't seen that for a while.

Aahh, football fans. We are all so proud of how loyal, vocal and hardcore our fans are, but we all despise violence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

kryogen wrote: »
    and q the my countries thugs are better then your countries thugs debate lol

anyways, it was nothing too serious in fairness, the problem was made worse though when the barca players went to celebrate in front of those fans after scoring. specifically to the corner where the flares came from

that makes barcelona look bad and the players let themselves down also. i know its easy to get carried away when you snatched a game when you probably should have lost and you rush to look for your fans to celebrate with them. but to specifically go towards the group that had been involved in the trouble was foolish

Pep and Puyol didnt want anything to do with them however. At least they had a bit of intelligence about it
    :confused:

It was the only group of Barca fans in the stadium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Laughable tbh.

A strange reaction by you Mr. Alan! If there was a Spanish banking crisis we wouldn't pay too much heed here. If there was an English banking crisis it would make more news here. The same for any news story - English ones will get more attention than Spanish ones.

Advertisement