Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

forum software

Options
  • 29-09-2008 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

I'm evaluating different forum software... looking at the pros and cons of each one. While I am aware that invision power and vbulletin (this website being a fine example of that at work!) are probably the best on the market, neither are free. I just want to give the free ones a good whacking first before I make a final decision...

I have hacked around with two so far - phpBB and bbpress.

Has anyone tried the latest phpBB? Are the security holes that used to exist 99% fixed at last???

bbpress is great in that 1)it's a doddle to get working and 2) it's fairly solid in terms of spam proection... only downside is lack of nice looking good-to-go themes although I suppose I can hack away and get one going eventually. Anyone got a live forum going and do people moan about the way it looks? :eek:

anyone tried vanilla?? how would you rate it in terms of security? And integration with things like Google AdSense? I have yet to try it out or even read into detail about it but it certainly looks pretty. It has some nice themes ready to use aswell which is a turn on... I'd be changing them slightly anyway...

I am a competent enough programmer, but not a php geek (actually i only started looking at it a week ago).. but it looks grand so I can probably hack around with any of the above if needs be.

Thanks for the feedback!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

I toyed around with Vanilla a bit when it first came out, it was nice and simple and easy enough to work with.

Typicially when I am installing a forum I use SMF

Most of the main open source forum systems out there (with the exception of vanilla) all work pretty much the same from a users point of view anyway. Unless you plan to write any major hacks for it yourself it really does not matter too much which one you use.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Vanilla seems nice, but you need to install a lot of extra plugins to emulate the functionality you'd get from vbulletin... however that might work to your advantage depending on who your target audience was

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

blacknight wrote: »
    Vanilla seems nice, but you need to install a lot of extra plugins to emulate the functionality you'd get from vbulletin... however that might work to your advantage depending on who your target audience was

Just to expand on this a little. If you are looking for an advanced system like vBulletin don't use Vanillia. While it can be modded to be like this it's primary purpose is to be a more minimilist forum. Don't try and force a square peg into a round hole. If you want a more complex forum use SMF or PHPbb. For an example of Vanillia in the wild, take a look at http://www.opendesigns.org/

Advertisement