Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where did my "what Irish bank will be the 1st to go bankrupt/bailed out" thread go?

Options
  • 29-09-2008 12:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

It wasnt moved or locked. It just seems to have disappeared. Why? :confused:
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭shoelaceface

prob went bankrupt and therefore just wiped off....

disapeared like lots of things....

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Might help if you said from which forum it disappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Have a look here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Fido loves 7up

It was removed from After Hours. As a poll with 15 options it took alot of time to think out and post.

Whatever happened freedom of speech?

Are you honestly saying this kind of discussion is a no go? :confused:

Ridiculous!

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

If it took you a long time to think out the total of four sentences and list of banks that comprised that post then you are hard of thought.

This is not a public fora, it is a privately owned website, therefore you have no automatic right to freedom of speech.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

CuLT wrote: »
    then you are hard of thought.

lol

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I assume you PMd the mods of the forum ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

boards is not for freedom of speech TM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Whatever happened freedom of speech?
    Eh... why are you so sure there is freedom of speech on Boards.ie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Dudess wrote: »
    Eh... why are you so sure there is freedom of speech on Boards.ie?
    Because its on the internet, bastion of free speech.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Al Gore would be spinning in his grave at this miscarriage of justice on his internets

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

We need a "Whatever happened freedom of speech?":Gathering Card for all the youth who've been watching too much American TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

instead of saying all of the above would someone like to answer his question?

if mods/admins feel topics should be moved/closed/edited/deleted then they SHOULD (not they have to) but they should give the reason because its the decent thing to do.

I dont know of any reason why the topic would be removed - MCD dont own any banks do they?

EDIT: only saw David Mcwilliams link now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

let that be a lesson to you to read further than the third post before replying.

I deleted the thread, because of the link mcwilliams posted but also cos it was a ****ing retarded thread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

the thread served no purpose but to illicit negative speculation unnecessarily in a forum that frankly doesnt need crap threads like it.

And to clear up the nonense about the free speech that arises every week. This is from the Irish constitution:

Article 40.6.1.i of the Irish Constitution says that the State guarantees the right of citizens to express freely their convictions and opinions.

But this freedom is not unlimited:

The Article goes on to say that, because of the importance of educating public opinion, the State will try to ensure that the organs of public opinion such as the radio and the press (it doesn't mention television) keep their right to liberty of expression, but they shall not be used to undermine public order, morality or the authority of the State.

Article 10 (2) subjects this freedom to such restrictions "as are necessary in a democratic society in the interests of national security, territorial integrity or public safety, for the prevention of disorder or crime, for the protection of health or morals, for the protection of the reputation or rights of others, for preventing the disclosure of information received in confidence or for maintaining the authority and impartiality of the judiciary".

so above is the official bits. However boards.ie is not a tv station, radio station or newspaper. Therefore if the owners dont want to ban users for using the letter Z in their posts they can if they want. You can protest your view on the matter by not posting or contributing to the site.

Internet forums arent covered by the article in the irish constitution that so many people claim santuary under on boards.ie yet never bothered their ar$e to read.

Thanks for that, faceman. Some people even use the "freedom of speech" gem in relation to the MCD ban.

Sigh...

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I hereby demand the right to spell ****, **** and **** without being censored however, I find bastard offensive and demand that this word instead be censored.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Maximilian wrote: »
    I hereby demand the right to spell ****, **** and **** without being censored.

But you can.....

But you can.....

!

?!

********ing ***face splendid mother****ing ********ers **** one cup ****** Abe Lincoln's **** polisher.

/sigh

Anyway, I just see Anglo shares are down 46%, IL&P down 36%. I don't think we need rumour mongering. There's enough trouble as it is.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

If you look at the dripping of a tap from the point of view of the ant that is under it, it, to you would be a flood. If, however, you look at the ocean that the droplet came from, you would be of a different opinion.

• Advertisement

Indeed. Yet another superb pearl of wisdom from the good doc. :)

I don't get it... :confused:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Take the graph of today's loss on the ISEQ index. Currently what are they 12%. If you graph that, it looks pretty bad for today.
    If you graph it over a month, it still looks pretty bad, in the context of a few monthly falls however, its a bit hidden.
    Now try and graph the wins and losses for a year, then ten years and so on. The more data you have, the less anomolous the individual rises and falls become. The natural behaviour of share prices is to rise and fall. For each extreme fall, there can be an extreme rise, be it over one day or over a year. The free market on shares, is theorethically a self correcting system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Dudess wrote: »
    Thanks for that, faceman. Some people even use the "freedom of speech" gem in relation to the MCD ban.

Sigh...

And even the MAI ban too!.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Poops. I hope Boards don't have any more than 100k sitting in their bank account, otherwise they're SCREWED. Yah hear me?

Back in my day, the banks controlled the people, but these days, the people control the banks! zOMG!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

It must just be me but i think that in life people should atleast try to make everything fair and equil whereever possible, even when it comes to something as insignificant as a online fourm it all posts/users/threads accross should be guided by the same set of rules.

Advertisement