Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where are your clubs?

• 29-09-2008 12:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭

In which country are the club(s) you support?

Where are your clubs 108 votes

Ireland
    0% 0 votes
    Britain
    30% 33 votes
    Europe
    45% 49 votes
    Rest of world
    16% 18 votes
    I don't support any club
    7% 8 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I support Shelbourne, which is an Irish club, in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I support Bohemians and Manchester United. Should they ever meet, Bohs all the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Define 'support'.

Is it follow religiously only? Or does casually as a passing interest count?

I'm curious as to what this poll is meant to achieve.

Trilla wrote: »
    I support Bohemians and Manchester United. Should they ever meet, Bohs all the way

Do you tell the lads who you grew up supporting United with this?

How do they react?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

drogheda united in ireland
    aston villa in england

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Define 'support'.

Is it follow religiously only? Or does casually as a passing interest count?

I'm curious as to what this poll is meant to achieve.

To me support is to as often as possible watch that teams games.
    And want them to win (You no the way when your fav team lets in
    a goal that feeling you get? You should get that to)

But thats just me. What does it mean to you?

Des wrote: »
    Do you tell the lads who you grew up supporting United with this?

How do they react?

Yeah they know, 3 of us go to the Bohs games now. Celtic, Liverpool and United fans. We're doin our best to get more going to them, even tryin to get the lads on the southside to support the Shams. We're on a mission :D

Me oul man is delighted I'm goin, and is quietly supportin Bohs now too. He used to live in Manchester in 60s and went to games regulary.

Two however spring to mind (one Liverpool, one who supports nobody but would text me if United lost and loves giving the opinions even tho he knows jack shi't about the sport) that give me stick over it. Saying the jerseys are mank, the facilities are shi't, the standard is poor, its full of scoabys, it would never help Irish soccer going to these games etc...

But meh I enjoy goin above all so dont give a poo poos

EDIT - When I was in school there was 3 United fans, rest were Liverpool with one strange Ipswich town fan and another Everton!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

ajeffares wrote: »

My current living arrangements don't permit me to attend any City/Shels games, yet I consider myself a hardcore supporter so defining someone purely on games they attend is flawed.

City and Shels are my main two teams but there are others I want to win every week. Do I support them too?

My point is it's impossible to define it based on one or two criteria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Shamrock Rovers, and Manchester United.

My current living arrangements don't permit me to attend any City/Shels games, yet I consider myself a hardcore supporter so defining someone purely on games they attend is flawed.

City and Shels are my main two teams but there are others I want to win every week. Do I support them too?

My point is it's impossible to define it based on one or two criteria.

Thats why I said as much as possible even if thats once every 5 years:)
    And I don't just mean watch from the stands. Some people don't
    even like watching matches from the stands. TV is grand. And as for
    Irish clubs Watching things like MNS to watch your teams goals is
    good support.

• Advertisement

Watching things like MNS to watch your teams goals is good support.

All boils down to definition of the word me thinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

I support Bohemians, and I follow United (Leeds), so I only clicked on one option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Spend more than a season ticket holder to see about 5 games a year. I would say im die hard fan even though im not English. Over land and sea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

I support Shelbourne, which is an Irish club, in Ireland.

Don't you mean an Oirish club in Oireland :)

roryc wrote: »
    Don't you mean an Oirish club in Oireland :)

Nope, an Oirish club would be...

A feck it, I won't open that

can-o-worms.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

drogheda utd and liverpool

I support Liverpool
    I keep an eye on Kildare county

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

When I was living in Berlin, I went to see Hertha regularly when they played at home, I wanted them to win and I'll still watch the matches online or on Setanta if they are on, I don't count myself as a Hertha supporter though.
    At the end of the day, as already said it all boils down to how people define the word "fan", which I'm sure has been debated at length here before and doesn't need to be again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I support Liverpool in England, and Kyoto Sanga in Japan.

I don't support any Irish team because I am clearly a philistine with no sense of pride or national identity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

I picked all 5 options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

'Boro and Aldershot TownEngland
    Valencia Spain
    Bayern Germany
    Lecce Italy

I like my football.:):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Only support one team and that's Shels (support is an underestimation actually), would look out the odd time for Colchester Utd and Aldershot as I have English mates who support them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Im a Cork City supporter. I used to support Man Utd when i was younger but i lost interest in them.

Then i went to my first Cork City game about 4 years ago and loved it and iv been a fan ever since.

id also keep an eye on celtic and barca.

i dont really follow any english teams anymore but id still watch premiership matches on tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

glenjamin wrote: »
    teams inEngland
    team in Spain
    team inGermany
    team in Italy

I like my football.:):):)

Considering that list, and the fact you live in Wicklow, th can of worms has been potntially re opened :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Catalonia, unfortunately it's not on the list...:pac:

shane86 wrote: »
    Considering that list, and the fact you live in Wicklow, th can of worms has been potntially re opened :pac:

Boards is covered in worms today, a fishermans paradise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

I can't click more than once :(
    Stuttgart
    Man U
    Shelbourne

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Liverpool

Where are my clubs

in the boot of my car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Shelbourne, huzzah and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Ireland - Finn Harps
    England - Aston Villa

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

England,Greece and Serbia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

My current living arrangements don't permit me to attend any City/Shels games...
    Why, because you live in Perth? :rolleyes: Any excuse...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Support Derry City follow Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Where are my clubs

in the boot of my car.

Same as me Des. You never know when you'll catch a nice afternoon near a course. Also useful for when i'm in bad form coming home from work so i can hit the range.

On topic.

Support;
    Ireland - Dundalk FC
    Engerland - Liverpool FC

Loosely follow;
    France - Lyon
    Spain - Atletico, Bilbao, Barca.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

England - Man Yoo
    Ireland - lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

I struggle to understand how it is possible for people to "support" more than one club TBH.

We all support truly only one club but we watch for other clubs too,thats what guys trying to say.I support Red Star and i cant support any other club on the world same as i do support them.But i am also a fan of few more clubs,but thats different thing

Eirebear wrote: »
    I struggle to understand how it is possible for people to "support" more than one club TBH.

Same way it's possible to "support" more than one wife or child TBH

We all support truly only one club but we watch for other clubs too,thats what guys trying to say.I support Red Star and i cant support any other club on the world same as i do support them.But i am also a fan of few more clubs,but thats different thing

yep, you can only put your heart and soul into one club, it doesnt matter how many other clubs you take an interest in, or have a soft spot for, when it all comes down to it only one club really matters?
    fullstop wrote: »
    Same way it's possible to "support" more than one wife or child TBH

Eh?:confused: Are we promoting Bigamy now?

• Advertisement

yep, you can only put your heart and soul into one club, it doesnt matter how many other clubs you take an interest in, or have a soft spot for, when it all comes down to it only one club really matters?

I agree on that

Eh?:confused: Are we promoting Bigamy now?

Yes, yes I am :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

I dunno, if you rely on such flimsy criteria for being a fan of a club as many do here, i dont see why you cant support two or more. Lad I know supports Liverpool and Celtic, hasnt been to either this year, but watches both on TV and has both replica jerseys. So is he more Liverpool or Celtic?

Yes, yes I am :rolleyes:

Care to explain what you mean then?

Incase you didnt understand my post, i class a supporter of a club as someone who cares passionately about their club.
    Personally i do not understand how it is possible to get the same feeling from team A winning their respective championship or beating their rivals as you would from Team B, C or D.
    Unless of course you didnt feel the emotional attachment to any of the clubs as is generally expected from a supporter.

e.g I support Rangers, when Rangers win i celebrate, i cheer i yell i sing. When they lose, it hurts. I do whatever i can to make sure i know whats going on in their games no matter where i am or what im doing.

I have a soft spot for everton, look out for their results, watch their games when i get the time, but if i miss it then so what.
    When they win im happy for them but in a completely different way than from when Rangers win, when they lose it doesnt hurt.

You seem to find this comparable to having two children (I'll discard the two wives part as it's just silly). I dont get how you mean by this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

CiaranC wrote: »
    Lad I know supports Liverpool and Celtic, hasnt been to either this year, but watches both on TV and has both replica jerseys. So is he more Liverpool or Celtic?
    He's more. Much more.

Care to explain what you mean then?

Incase you didnt understand my post, i class a supporter of a club as someone who cares passionately about their club.
    Personally i do not understand how it is possible to get the same feeling from team A winning their respective championship or beating their rivals as you would from Team B, C or D.
    Unless of course you didnt feel the emotional attachment to any of the clubs as is generally expected from a supporter.

e.g I support Rangers, when Rangers win i celebrate, i cheer i yell i sing. When they lose, it hurts. I do whatever i can to make sure i know whats going on in their games no matter where i am or what im doing.

I have a soft spot for everton, look out for their results, watch their games when i get the time, but if i miss it then so what.
    When they win im happy for them but in a completely different way than from when Rangers win, when they lose it doesnt hurt.

You seem to find this comparable to having two children (I'll discard the two wives part as it's just silly). I dont get how you mean by this.
    Just because you only support one team doesn't mean everyone has to be like you, ok? People are free to support as many teams as they like, even if it dilutes the feelings they hve for each team. I put my 2 teams in the order I care, Finn Harps are my main team. See I support my home team, I also happen to like Aston Villa. Given that LOI clubs are liable to go t!ts up at any moment, I don't see a problem with supporting another club as well. Is that ok with you?

Just because you only support one team doesn't mean everyone has to be like you, ok? People are free to support as many teams as they like, even if it dilutes the feelings they hve for each team. I put my 2 teams in the order I care, Finn Harps are my main team. See I support my home team, I also happen to like Aston Villa. Given that LOI clubs are liable to go t!ts up at any moment, I don't see a problem with supporting another club as well. Is that ok with you?

Where did i ever say it was a problem? I simply stated that i find it hard to understand.
    Well done on supporting your home team BTW, although i dont see the relevance there either.

Where did i ever say it was a problem? I simply stated that i find it hard to understand.
    Well done on supporting your home team BTW, although i dont see the relevance there either.

I just think it's nice to support my home team because they're from my home town and gives a sense of belonging (think thats the word I'm looking for!) Also, 2 of the current starting XI were on underage teams with me from U-10 right up to U-17 so it's nice to see former teammates go to the next level

I just think it's nice to support my home team because they're from my home town and gives a sense of belonging (think thats the word I'm looking for!) Also, 2 of the current starting XI were on underage teams with me from U-10 right up to U-17 so it's nice to see former teammates go to the next level

Fairynuff, ive been to a fair few Harps games over the years, but i didnt move to Donegal untill the age of ten, by which point i was already a Rangers fan.
    I like to see them do well though

Fairynuff, ive been to a fair few Harps games over the years, but i didnt move to Donegal untill the age of ten, by which point i was already a Rangers fan.
    I like to see them do well though
    Unfortunately, the players have been asked to take a 50% pay cut until the end of the season, which i think they have accepted, but finances not looking good at the minute

• Advertisement
Advertisement