Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Teagasc advice

Options
  • 29-09-2008 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭

I went to the Teagasc stand at the ploughing last week to get advice about buying milk quota. I sold my quota a few years ago and would be interested in buying back quota again. The reason I sold my quota in the first place was on the advice of Teagasc saying that I would have to spend a lot of money to build a new slurry tank, the price of milk was dropping, price of milk quota dropping and I would have no problem getting a better paid job. Now the jobs are gone price of milk has increased. The advice they gave me at the ploughing was why would anyone that sold quota a few years ago want to buy it back again?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Sam Kade wrote: »
    I went to the Teagasc stand at the ploughing last week to get advice about buying milk quota. I sold my quota a few years ago and would be interested in buying back quota again. The reason I sold my quota in the first place was on the advice of Teagasc saying that I would have to spend a lot of money to build a new slurry tank, the price of milk was dropping, price of milk quota dropping and I would have no problem getting a better paid job. Now the jobs are gone price of milk has increased. The advice they gave me at the ploughing was why would anyone that sold quota a few years ago want to buy it back again?

quotas are due to expire by 2013 or 2015 at the latest , its still relatively expensive to buy quota so perhaps they felt it was not feasible to invest in quota when that investment will be worthless in 5 to 7 yrs

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

Have you cows and suitable facilities to handle the quota if you buy it? Cows are making serious money these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

fastrac wrote: »
    Have you cows and suitable facilities to handle the quota if you buy it? Cows are making serious money these days?
    I used to have 45 cows before I sold the quota. The winter Accommodation Would keep 30 cows through the winter I also have an eight unit milking parlour up to standard. I know cows were dear during the summer but I saw incalf heifers 500kg calving start december sold in a mart recently for an average of €550. As I can't send milk until 2010 I would buy maiden heifers next spring instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

And of course you had no hand, act or part in making that decision :rolleyes:.
    We all have choices and decisions to makem in life and business at the end of the day. It is up to you ultimately to take responsibility for your own career and business decisions. Seems to me you are making a scapegoat of Teagasc as things ahve not worked out to plan.

mfitzy wrote: »
    We all have choices and decisions to makem in life and business at the end of the day. It is up to you ultimately to take responsibility for your own career and business decisions. Seems to me you are making a scapegoat of Teagasc as things ahve not worked out to plan.
    I had valid reasons at the time to sell the quota. The point I was making was that if Teagasc Didn't think it was a good idea to buy back quota they should say so not answer a question with a question after all they are there to give advice.

• Advertisement

well according to your initial post you said state clearly you sold it on the advice of Teagasc for the reasons outlined. Nobody predicted the recent up swing in world milk markets, not even the most opptimistic forecasters.

well according to your initial post you said state clearly you sold it on the advice of Teagasc for the reasons outlined. Nobody predicted the recent up swing in world milk markets, not even the most opptimistic forecasters.
    Why or how I sold milk quota is none of your buisness the post was about why Teagasc don't give advice.

Why or how I sold milk quota is none of your buisness the post was about why Teagasc don't give advice.

I couldn't care less what you did with your milk quoata with all due respect. What you actually need to do is sit down and work the figure involved in buying back the quota and re establishing mlik production,with an adviser or whoever, I mean going up to the Teagasc stand at the Ploughin looking for that kind of specific advice to such a matter does not make sense to me...the point was raised also in relation to quota going in the coming years.
    Anyhoe best of luck to you in whatever you decide and hope it works out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

mind you dont fall while up there on the pulpit preaching

irish_bob wrote: »
    mind you dont fall while up there on the pulpit preaching

No fear of that anyhow ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement