Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sporadic website is not available message with eircom

Options
  • 29-09-2008 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hey,

For the past few months I have been getting this problem while surfing, going to a new website brings the standard website cannot be found check your dns etc. This happens on a number of computers around the house, running either firefox or internet explorer. Online games and services such as msn are not effected and continue to function while web browsers throw up this error. The website then seems to work if you refresh after 10 seconds or so. It happens with any website.

Im putting it down to one of two things, eircom or the router, I also think the problem lies with dns as the entire connection is not lost. Anybody in Cork with eircom broadband notice this problem ? Its a belkin pre-n wireless router.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Either your DSL is going down, wireless is being affected or DNS issue.

Is your router near anything that may cause interference, TV's microwaves etc as these could cause interference with your wireless signal, best to move the router opr better yet connect via ethernety.

Is your router dropping sync when things stop working, if so then follow the FAQ/Charter thread

Unlikely but you could try different dns servers using www.opendns.com for more info

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

If it happens on one pc it should happen on all at the same time,does it?
    What do you need to do to restore it?how long does it take?
    Does it happen to any pcs plugged directly in to the router?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ageary08

It happens on every computer connected to the router, I havent tested if it happens concurrently. I dont think its the wireless, one pc is connected via ethernet and the same problem occurs. The most interesting thing is that games such as world of warcraft stay connected and I can stay logged on for hours without a single disconnect (thankfully ! otherwise it would be a real pain). I might try swapping routers and maybe a firmware update.

Advertisement