Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clueless Blonde Question

Options
  • 29-09-2008 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭

I know nowt about this stuff, in fact I may even be in the wrong forum so any help appreciated.

I want to buy a friend a pocket browser. There is one on iwoot.com (can't do the linky thing, thats how clueless I am) but it's just for the UK.

Where would I get something like that here, would it have to go through the mobile networks? Could I buy it from the UK and get it set up here?

Edit It's a Pocket Surfer, not a Pocket Browser. Ahem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

Ah c'mon, don' tell me out of 33 geeks post viewers, nobody knows??

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Something like this one?

Don't know much (anything) about them, but the first thing I noticed was "in-built SIM card", and then a spiel about subscriptions, so this could be tied into specific UK networks.

I had a quick look at some of the Irish sites:
    www.komplett.ie www.elara.ie www.expansys.ie www.pixmania.ie
    But can't find a similar product there.

If you want a portable device that can view the internet, then the iPhone is a good start, though pricey. There are also a load of palm pilot / PDA type phones that will do the trick also.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Aye, I saw them over in the states. They're not phones, but rather internet only tablets, but which need a sim card to connect to the internet.

Here's a cheap example: http://www.expansys.ie/p.aspx?i=158518 for €320 Your mate may get a cheaper one that is linked to a phone company, but dunno who does them.

They're called "internet tablets". As they may use a different technology than phones, there may be a cheaper per month option. I'd advise you to look for one linked to a phone company, as it'd

a) be cheaper
    b) you know it's compatible with that network
    c) you'll find out what price your mate will be paying per month.

If you do get one, let us know, as I'd be interested. Saying that, I can get a laptop for less than the phone I linked to, so may just go with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

That shows what a difference the right search phrase makes! Still don't really get why you would go for one over a mini-laptop or a decent mobile though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

Thanks goys.

I don't know myself but I think the internet usability/pleasurability is better than when using a phone >> Somebody said some technical stuff and this is how it ended up in my brain.

From my point of view I would say it looks cute and the little backlit keyboard is cool.

• Advertisement
Advertisement