Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Webwise / Phorm in UK

Options
  • 29-09-2008 1:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭

BT in the UK are starting an opt in trial of Phorm. See http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09/29/bt_phorm_trial_go/

This involves all traffic being redirected to Phorm servers and advertisements being injected into displayed web pages. The EU has gotten a bit upset by this but BT are carrying on regardless.

I sent a mail to BT Ireland asking for their stand on this. They replied quickly stating that they are not using Phorm which is a relief.

If BT Ireland started using Phorm, would you cancel your account and go somewhere else for Broadband?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'd imagine not using there DNS servers may allow you to avoid phorm to be honest,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

From what I have read, the Phorm servers are in the BT backbone and intercept the packets themselves and are not just redirects from DNS servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Yarnhall

Cormic wrote: »
    I sent a mail to BT Ireland asking for their stand on this. They replied quickly stating that they are not using Phorm which is a relief

They also told English customers the same thing but they were infact using Phorm, regardless, check for the phorm cookies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

Cormic wrote: »
    If BT Ireland started using Phorm, would you cancel your account and go somewhere else for Broadband?
    Yes, in a heartbeat. I would immediately cancel my account and sign up with either Eircom or Perlico.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Yet another piece of privacy squeezed away :(

BT Ireland are bad enough as it is without adding this to the mix.

And yes, I would. Currently deciding what provider to go with cos not sure if we can sign the 12 month contract that moving to another provider would cause.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

They haven't started using Phorm here yet (I don't think) and I checked my hard drive for files with "Phorm" in the file name and separately files with "Phorm" in the data, so it's a little premature to discuss actually switching.

But if I found out that they (BT Ireland) were screwing around with Phorm in any way *flick* and I'd be gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

It seems that everyone here is of the same opinion as me. I wonder how the customer care desk at BT UK is doing with all the cancellations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 The_User_Name

After having numerous problems with my Digiweb broadband connection, very odd traceroutes and strange cookies and asking the right question, Digiweb wrote to me: With regard to your query: ' Does Digiweb use any Deep Packet Inspection, traffic management or monitoring systems on services provided under account number **REDACTED**' Please be advised, not specifically customer by customer, but there is this capability for the overall operation.' Oh yes folks, straight from the horses mouth. I read that to mean network wide and I have evidence to demonstrate that it has been active for some time now. Digiweb customers should have a close look. I looked, I'm horrified.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Digiweb monitor traffic to enforce quota. Over quota users are throttled to ensure a good experience for the majority. Traffic is inspected to ensure good QOS for VOIP / SIP (UDP audio). Neither of these is anything remotely connected with Phorm.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

After having numerous problems with my Digiweb broadband connection, very odd traceroutes and strange cookies and asking the right question, Digiweb wrote to me: With regard to your query: ' Does Digiweb use any Deep Packet Inspection, traffic management or monitoring systems on services provided under account number **REDACTED**' Please be advised, not specifically customer by customer, but there is this capability for the overall operation.' Oh yes folks, straight from the horses mouth. I read that to mean network wide and I have evidence to demonstrate that it has been active for some time now. Digiweb customers should have a close look. I looked, I'm horrified.

As watty has stated digiweb monitor data for quotas and QOS so network performance can be maintained...the same as all other Irish ISP's do so its nothing to worry about and is perfectly normal.

The_User_Name, I would recommend that you be VERY careful about accusing any company of using phorn when you clearly have no solid proof. You clearly don't understand anything you have looked at.

Anymore of your comments without actual proof with be deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement