Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying Iphone glitch!

• 29-09-2008 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

I bought the original Iphone several months ago, and I absolutely LOVE it. Its been a godsend, by and large. However it has one INCREDIBLY annoying glitch which has been bugging me for a while now.

When it is inactive (ie. In your pocket) the screen goes off. When you want to unlock it, you press the "master" button underneath the screen to light it up, then you slide your finger across the screen as indicated, to unlock it.

Unfortunately, when I do this, the little fob that is supposed to move with my finger won't move - no matter how many times I swipe. Eventually, when I leave it, the screen goes dark again, at which point I start the process all over again - lighting it up, sliding across the screen.....and invariably it works fine the 2nd time, and unlocks.

This is also a problem when I am getting calls - it won't allow me to answer them by sliding my finger across the screen (the thing won't move) - which means I miss most calls and have to call them back.

This is HUGELY annoying, and the above happens about 90% of the time.

When I took it into the O2 shop where I bought it, and tried to show them what I was talking about. As luck would have it, I happened to be in there during the 10% of the time when the damn thing was working perfectly. The guy I spoke to was genuinley puzzled by the symptoms I described, and suggested that I should switch it off and on every so often to reboot the software (because admittedly I rarely turn it off). I have tried this since but with no effect.

What puzzles me is the fact that it rarely if ever unlocks the first time of asking, but ALWAYS ALWAYS works the 2nd time around!

Has anyone encountered this problem? And if so, is there any way out of it?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

I haven't seen this issue myself, but it might be worth doing a full restore in iTunes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

If your phone is jailbroken you can install an app from cydia that allows you to "tap to unlock" instead of "slide to unlock". Might be useful in your case: http://www.iphonedownloadblog.com/tap-to-unlock-slider-replacement/

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭King Ian

Unfortunately my Iphone is 100% legit, and I've never "jailbroken" it.

Bit of an IT-phobe here so not really all that knowledgeable when it comes to these things

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭King Ian

I haven't seen this issue myself, but it might be worth doing a full restore in iTunes.

Thanks for the suggestions by the way.

How would a full restore affect my contacts, saved text messages etc etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

King Ian wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions by the way.

How would a full restore affect my contacts, saved text messages etc etc?
    you can sync and store your contacts in outlook (pc)/address book (mac)

i'm not aware of any solution to back up text messages.

• Advertisement

When you plug your phone in, iTunes will do a backup of all your contacts/apps/messages/etc.

Once that's complete, do a restore.

After the restore has finished, iTunes will ask you do you want to use your backup to put all your data back on.

You'll also need to sync to get your music back on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

iTunes will do a backup of all your contacts/apps/messages/etc.
    Contacts aren't included. Rule of thumb, if there is an option to sync it in iTunes it isn't included in the backup.

my mistake! still, pretty much all data is backed up between the sync and itunes backup.

Advertisement