Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What gives with Sligo

Options
  • 29-09-2008 1:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

Just back from a weekend on de waves and on the p*ss in Strandhill. While I have my own gear, my two mates do not have their own board and were more than stunned as was I, when they were informed by the surf shop in Strandhill that they couldnt rent gear they would have to take a lesson. They were informed that for insurance purposes, the shop couldnt rent them boards.

To me, thats a load of f*cking cobblers and no more than a scam to get more cash out of people. No other surf shop that I have been to in the country insist that people take lessons for insurance purposes and it also begs the question, why is it only Sligo's insurers insist on this little caveat? Anyone any thoughts?

The total p*sser was that the f'ing instructors wouldnt let me surf in the same area as my mates on the lesson because I had a hard board!! I didnt think you could buy a section of the ocean and dictate where people surf, but perhaps I am wrong. :mad:

K-

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 CDog

Hi Kell,

It is actually a bye law passed by Sligo County Council regarding the renting of equipment at the beach. As far as I know it only applies to Strandhill Beach. You can read it here. Page 5 section D. So the surf school's hands are tied in that regard.

As for surfing in the same area as the lesson, this should have been no problem as long as you kept a reasonable distance away to either side of the surf school.

Its purely for safety reasons, the people learning dont really have much control over their boards or bodies and perhaps if you are a beginner (not sure if you are or not?) you may not have much control over your board so its prob best to keep a safe distance from the schools, especially with a hard board, just to avoid any nasty collisions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭badolepuddytat

They get around it in Bundoran by you "buying" a hardboard and then they'll "buy" it back minus a nominal enough fee (€20-€30 I think).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

CDog wrote: »
    It is actually a bye law passed by Sligo County Council regarding the renting of equipment at the beach.

Oh Jeebus. Its the council thats fúcked up. Takes the biccy really doesnt it?

K-

Advertisement