Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our much loved family pet is missing, please help us find her.

Options
  • 29-09-2008 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Have you seen this dog?
    Much loved family pet.

Her name is Princess and she will be 3 years old in November.

She is a black and white lurcher, her coat is fluffy around the ears, paws and tail. Princess is neutered.

She is very affectionate and friendly.

Princess went missing from the Borris-In-Ossory area 28th September, she may have been stolen. She was wearing an old red leather collar with little silver paw studs (in photos) and also a “Pet Safe” collar which is an electronic collar, red in colour with a large black plastic transmitter.

Any information please call
    Gareth on 087 953 8637 or Teresa on 087 268 2466 teresa@roscreaspca.com

If you find Princess but can not call us please bring her into your local vet and ask them to contact Roscrea SPCA.http://www.roscreaspca.com/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

She is really lovely. Did she have an id tag with your number on her collar.

Seriously, check out all your local halting sites too, travellers are b*stards for stealing worky looking dogs.

Best of luck in finding her :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

i dont suppose you had her micro chipped did you ?

best of luck finding her though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Let it be known in the travelling community that there's a substantial award for her safe return too.

Lovely dog, you must be desvastated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

a missing lurcher...my money's on travellers. go down to the local halting site and offer a cash reward.

whitser wrote: »
    a missing lurcher...my money's on travellers. go down to the local halting site and offer a cash reward.

I was going to suggest bumping this thread for Whitser but I was afraid you'd take offence thinking I was suggesting you were connected with robbing lurchers, but I know your a hunter and have read your posts re. lurchers in the Hunting Forum.

Question, and it might be a silly one too.

What happens to lurchers when their robbed and brought into the travelling community?. What are their value to travellers, ie valued family pets or used for hunting hares?. Or is there a market for them outside of the travelling community where the dog is sold onto?.

• Advertisement

try him for hunting. if he's any use they'll keep or sell him on to other travellers. if he's no use they'll probably just stray him. either way he hasnt got a good future in their hands. dont think there's a market for them outside of the travelling community. you'd need you head examined if you were to but a dog off them. cos it'll be either robbed or useless. no self respecting dog man would buy a dog that was stolen.
    dog nappers are the scum of the working dog world.

whitser wrote: »
    try him for hunting. if he's any use they'll keep or sell him on to other travellers. if he's no use they'll probably just stray him. either way he hasnt got a good future in their hands. dont think there's a market for them outside of the travelling community. you'd need you head examined if you were to but a dog off them. cos it'll be either robbed or useless. no self respecting dog man would buy a dog that was stolen.
    dog nappers are the scum of the working dog world.

Thanks for that.

Do they use Staffordshire Bull Terriers too?.

I was warned they'd rob mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Mairt wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

Reason I ask is the guy I got my last dog from hunts with Lurchers, plus badger baits with Staffs .
    As far as I know this is illegal because of the damage a badger is capeable of doing to a dog. It's almost as bad as dog fighting.

Not being smart or anything, the reason this is an issue for me is my dad had a dog that pre us getting him was used for badger baiting and the poor old boy had a hole in his throat, some toes missing, an ear missing, it really was horrendous (sp?). I know you're not involved yourself and I'm really not having a go, but would consider gently pointing out that it's illegal and for good reason?

I doubt they use staffies for hunting, I'd imagine it's for fighting. A good hunting dog (esp badgers) would make a good fighting dog?

Over the weekend I picked up the name of a very old man who breeds fighting dogs. This man is 80, lives alone, drinks his pension, a real old loner. I know I should report him but not sure how to go about it. :( Also the guilt of getting this old man into trouble is bothering me.

EDIT: Got in there before you deleted the badger baiting bit. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

I have to drill this home to yous all never offer travellers money they'll drag every cent out of you even if they don't have the dog, have a look at this post I put up on topdogs I,ve been active for years getting dogs out of traveller sites I never offer money, I'll throw them a few bob for a point to relax them so I can get out of there thats about it. Money brings out the worst in people.

http://www.topdog.ie/showthread.php?t=1011&page=4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

As far as I know this is illegal because of the damage a badger is capeable of doing to a dog. It's almost as bad as dog fighting.

Not being smart or anything, the reason this is an issue for me is my dad had a dog that pre us getting him was used for badger baiting and the poor old boy had a hole in his throat, some toes missing, an ear missing, it really was horrendous (sp?). I know you're not involved yourself and I'm really not having a go, but would consider gently pointing out that it's illegal and for good reason?

I doubt they use staffies for hunting, I'd imagine it's for fighting. A good hunting dog (esp badgers) would make a good fighting dog?

Over the weekend I picked up the name of a very old man who breeds fighting dogs. This man is 80, lives alone, drinks his pension, a real old loner. I know I should report him but not sure how to go about it. :( Also the guilt of getting this old man into trouble is bothering me.

EDIT: Got in there before you deleted the badger baiting bit. ;)

Look I'm a sucker for sad lonely old people too, it upsets me but what he's doing is wrong. Yes you feel guilty thinking about reporting an old man like that but what about the guilt you'll have of the countless number of dogs that will suffer because of this man if you don't report him?

And OP I really hope you find the poor pet, very best of luck, finger's crossed you find her alive and well.

• Advertisement

Clare Bear wrote: »
    Look I'm a sucker for sad lonely old people too, it upsets me but what he's doing is wrong. Yes you feel guilty thinking about reporting an old man like that but what about the guilt you'll have of the countless number of dogs that will suffer because of this man if you don't report him?
    Yep I agree, just have to steel myself for the inevitable guilt :o who is it I report him to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Yep I agree, just have to steel myself for the inevitable guilt :o who is it I report him to?

I'd guess your local SPCA? I know it's not easy for you but it's the right thing to do. I've had to do it myself in the past. No one will find out who reported him. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

sorry to hear about all of this..
    no from past experience a lot of dogs are taken this time of
    year and a lot end up at the ballinasloe horse fair..
    have you tried lost and found.ie
    hope you get good news...

I've never heard of them baiting badgers with pits and can't think were the money is in this and love toknow if this is true, i've only rescued one pit from themand seen one in another site, they would stealthem to fight them alright or train and sell on. Lurchers are trained to course plenty of money in the gambling end of it. Terriers are stolen to hunt out the hares.

www.banbloodsports.com/coursing.htm

Hope you get your dog back will keep my eye's open up in Dublin wish you the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭votejohn

any luck? its heart breaking when your dog goes missing. He's the image of a dog I walk, a real beauty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Roscrea SPCA

Thank you for all of your posts.

I sincerely hope we find her before Balinasloe, however if we don’t I already have people arranged to come with me to look for her there.

If anyone has any information about where she is please contact us, we are devastated and our hearts are hurting badly not knowing where she is or who has her.

Gareth 087 953 8637
    Teresa 087 268 2466

OP I've added this thread as a clicky link to my signature for the rest of the other forums I use on boards to hopefully click it and be aware of your heart break.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

Thats heartbreaking. I'll keep an eye out in lost and found sections. Fingers crossed you'll find her all safe and sound in someone's care.

Cross posted it too. It cant do any harm.

your going to report an old man to the cops on a bit of hear-say? thats a bit ott, when you dont have any facts. not condoning dog fighting but people should have some evidence or facts before calling the cops to bang on an old mans door.

• Advertisement

A person who knows the man mentioning it in conversation, the confirming it when I ask is not really hearsay. The SPCA calling out would know whether to involve the guards or not. I wont be calling them.

I'm going to start a new thread on this, sorry OP, I hope princess turns up.

I've never heard of them baiting badgers with pits and can't think were the money is in this and love toknow if this is true, i've only rescued one pit from themand seen one in another site, they would stealthem to fight them alright or train and sell on. Lurchers are trained to course plenty of money in the gambling end of it. Terriers are stolen to hunt out the hares.

www.banbloodsports.com/coursing.htm
    coursing or hunting hares is not illegal, when done properly. but stealing dogs is. genuine dog men involved in coursing or hare hunting have as much contempt for dog-nappers and illegall hare hunters as any one. i dont think your link is appropriate. its a very tiny few who are involved in the stealing of dogs for illegal coursing.
    your entitled to your opinion on hare hunting, im not getting dragged into a debate on in. but this thread is about a stolen dog, (more then likely i would say taken by travellers). hare hunting is not all about shadowy figures gambling money on stolen dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

Thank you for all of your posts.

I sincerely hope we find her before Balinasloe, however if we don’t I already have people arranged to come with me to look for her there.

If anyone has any information about where she is please contact us, we are devastated and our hearts are hurting badly not knowing where she is or who has her.

Gareth 087 953 8637
    Teresa 087 268 2466

My heart goes out to you, I would be devastated in your position also, ring around all your local pounds and rescues just in case and thinking of you and hope Princess makes her way home very soon!

Thank you for your kind words and well wishes. I have been calling pounds, police stations, rescue centres etc since 9 this morning and spend yesterday doing the same.

I have attached a poster with her photo and details.

Please print this and post it where ever you can and maybe you could email it to you email contacts also?

Thank you very much,

Teresa
    087 268 24 66

she looks like a saluki x. i'd defo try the halting sites. travellers are fond of the saluki types.

Thanks for the advice. We have been into various halting sites and have given out posters of her to police stations all over the country and they assure us they are keeping an eye out for her.

Someone somewhere must have seen her or know where she is right now. The more people that see her photo the better chance we have of finding her.

Any information you might have, even if your unsure please call us, day or night. She could be anywhere in the country or even in England at this stage.

Teresa
    087 268 2466

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

Ballinasloe fair starts saturday is on sunday and monday if i where you i would take a tip up there .She looks a saluki x and thats the type they like.I would defo put my money on the travelling community.I pray you gey her back .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

This is dreadful. My lurcher has attracted the attention of these tyoe of scumbags and I hate to think of any dog ending up in their hands. Hopefully if they discover that she is spayed they will dump her and she will have a chance at being found.

I have posted the details on a couple of sighthound sites in the UK because she may end up over there.

Princess is still missing. You can imagine what we're like trying to find her. We just spent the last few hours wondering around Tullamore as we received a call about a stray dog similar to Princess there, unfortunately we did not find her and from talking to people there I don't think it was her.

A Garda contact has emailed her poster to the Super in Galway and I have also been in touch with the ISPCA inspectors that will be at the Balinasloe Fair. If she is not home before Saturday we will be going down ourselves to look for her there.

If any of you are planning on going or have contacts in the area please let me know and I will get posters with her photo to you.

Thank you for any help you can give us.

Teresa
    087 268 2466

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Roscrea SPCA, my condolences on your lost pet - it's horrible not knowing where your pet is.

I wanted to throw this out as a suggestion. You're obviously looking everywhere for Princess, and it looks like she's vanished into thin air. That made me wonder about other possibilities.

You haven't give us much info on WHERE Princess went missing. Did she go missing from a garden, or from out on the road? Were you walking her and she just didn't come back? Was she on a property where nobody was home?

Strange questions maybe, but I was struck by the fact that you say she was wearing a PetSafe electronic collar.

If you left your dog in a garden while nobody was home, and that PetSafe collar is an electronic bark control collar, is there a possibility that someone deliberately took Princess because they felt you weren't looking after her properly - hence they've got her but aren't stepping up to say so?

Please don't take offence at this because it's not meant offensively - it's very obvious that you adore your dog and are gutted by her absence. I'm just throwing it out as a thought.

You know what it's like - kids go missing and we all search the country only to find it's somebody who knew the kid and they're less than 10 miles from home. Your dog goes missing and everyone blames the travellers, and you're off to the fair at Ballinasloe, where it could be a neighbour who thinks bark collars are barbaric and that you leave her outside all the time, and they've taken her and handed her off to a relative in the next county who's hiding her, hale and hearty, in their house?

Advertisement