Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our much loved family pet is missing, please help us find her.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Roscrea SPCA

Hi Minesajackdaniels,

Mines a Jamesons and a strong one at this stage.

Thank you for your advice and suggestion. I totally understand where your thoughts are coming from and don’t take offence at all.

The electronic collar is not a bark collar and is a far way from being one. Very briefly, with the collar we use you train your pet by showing them the boundaries where they can go which are marked out by a highly visible physical boundary. You set the frequency and power on the collar yourself and use different collars for different breeds, so a long haired collie and a short haired greyhound would have different collars. The collar beeps when it is within the range of the boundary you have set, the beeping gets louder if the animal gets closer to the boundary and eventually it vibrates which is not something the animal likes. Princess is very used to this collar and it works. By anyone’s standards the vibration she would receive is a lot less than a belt of a car. A bark collar is something that is not only used for when you want to get your dog to stop barking, people use it to “discipline” their animal. When they call their dog and the dog continues to move away from them they give it a dart in the neck with the collar. I want to keep my pets safe not have a power trip.

As you can see by my username I am a member of Roscrea SPCA (Chairperson), and we are well known in the area as people who have helped rescue many dogs, it is not unusual for us to get a knock on our door at 11pm by someone looking for their dog or someone who just found a dog. Local businesses and authorities often contact us when they see a stray. As a result we have fostered over 30 dogs in the past 24 months. That’s not counting the amount of dogs we have picked up from somewhere, looked for and found their homes and returned them safely without the dog ever leaving the back seat of the car.

I understand how easily the finger could be pointed at the wrong people; however the circumstances of her disappearance do nothing but point the finger and lead us to believe she may very well be in Balinasloe.

Because we have so many dogs on our land we do attract attention. We have a number of people from the travelling community stopping to ask us about the dogs, in particular the lurchers, do the race, do we hunt them etc. There is one young man in particular who has expressed more interest than any of the others and has offered to buy her from me on a number of occasions.

I was admitted to hospital last week; I was still in hospital Sunday 28th when a young man said hello to me as I was walking up and down the corridor outside the wards. While I am usually good with remembering faces his escaped me until a few hours later when I recognised him as the man who had offered to buy Princess. My fiancé (we’re getting married in less than 3 weeks although neither of us have any interest in our wedding anymore) was in the hospital with me and when he got home Princess was gone and another one of the dogs was out on the lane in front of our house, still wearing the Pet Safe collar. The one that was out on the lane had received a blow to the side of his head and was very shaken. On looking around the property it was clear that someone had gained entry onto our land from the back of the house, as the thick bushes were beaten back and the grass was flattened from the outside of the property in. The first gate that you would come to from that entry point was open, grass had grown over the bottom of this gate and there is no way that it could have been opened and moved by someone without some strength. A wire fence which would be the next barrier had been scaled.

We reported her to the police and from the description I gave them they were able to tell me who the young man I saw in the hospital was. He is from a family notorious for lamping and taking dogs. We have contacted various members of the same and related families and they have assured us that it was not them. They also said that when they “come across” a new dog they try them for work and if they are no good they would just let the animal stray. If Princess was left to stray or she got free she has no street cred and she is just like her name indicates, a real Princess. I’m praying that she has gotten loose and that she is on her way home, but she will be scared, lost and probably hungry, thirsty and cold so the more people that see her photo and are looking out for her the better her chances of making it home safe and sound.

Teresa
    087 268 2466

• Registered Users Posts: 13,532 ✭✭✭✭fits

I hope you find her. I have a saluki x myself and I'm very very paranoid about him.

I'll mention it to a friend of mine from that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Thanks for the additional info.

Again I'm terribly sorry for your loss - I've been that soldier, out looking for a pet for hours in the middle of the night, wondering where it is - I know it's a horrible, horrible place to be.

I hope you find her, my thoughts are with you.

Thank you all very much. I have been posting the flyers to Garda stations around the country (she could be anywhere, no just in our local area). If anyone can print off the attached poster and drop it into your local Garda stations, vets and rescue centres please please do so.

Thank you very much,

Teresa
    087 268 2466

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

Any news today?

• Advertisement

No. Still nothing. I just got in from handing out 100 posters today in the surrounding counties.

If she is not home tomorrow it'll be off to Ballinasloe.

Please God may she come home to us soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

No. Still nothing. I just got in from handing out 100 posters today in the surrounding counties.

If she is not home tomorrow it'll be off to Ballinasloe.

Please God may she come home to us soon.

I keep hoping everytime I see your name here that it's good news and Princess is home. I really hope that this weekend brings with it some very good news :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Forgive my bad geography, but isn't Ballinasloe in Co.Mayo?.

It might be an idea to post an appeal in the Co.Mayo Forum here on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Mairt wrote: »
    Forgive my bad geography, but isn't Ballinasloe in Co.Mayo?.

It might be an idea to post an appeal in the Co.Mayo Forum here on boards.ie.
    It's in Co. Galway isn't it, on the N6 just over the border with Roscommon?

Alun wrote: »
    It's in Co. Galway isn't it, on the N6 just over the border with Roscommon?

Dunno, don't go near those savage boggers too much these days :pac:

Either way, it might be an idea to post on the county forum to get the word out to more people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

And maybe get in touch with the ISPCA, who I presume would be sending inspectors down to check on the welfare of the animals. I presume they will, but who knows.

Has this person who you suspect took her moved on from the area or is he still around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

I think i seen this poster on the back of a van in Donneycarney last night!!

Hi,

We have been in touch with every SPCA group in the country and also the RSPCA. The inspector that is going to the Fair has her photo and we have also sent it to the local police and shelters in that area along with a lot of other areas.

A Renault Master van with the poster? That's my other half.

Thanks for all your help, advice and best wishes.

As soon as we have her I'll let you know.

Teresa
    087 268 2466

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

Teresa I hate to have to suggest this, but have you asked the Council Cleansing Dept (road cleaners) if they picked up a dog after a road accident?

It's just a thought. I hope you get her back safe and sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

If the tinkers have her she may well end up in the uk .I pray you get her back my money is still on the tinkers .I hope she is back with you this weekend.I would say from waht you have said it sounds like travellers who knew exactly what dog they where coming for .I would say it is either the ones you went to or some realative of theres .

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

is there anyone else around your area with one of those electronic fences? Have you checked with them to see if their land is clear? could be that she got inside another fence and is stuck there now. If she's not gotten food in a while, she might not have the strength to handle the shock trying to get back out. (trying to look on the positive side and that she hasnt been 'napped) :(

I hope you have some good news soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

.....have a look at this post I put up on topdogs .....
    http://www.topdog.ie/showthread.php?t=1011&page=4

Can't read that post as I'm not registered and I not going to bother registering. May be you should cut and paste?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Rashers wrote: »
    Teresa I hate to have to suggest this, but have you asked the Council Cleansing Dept (road cleaners) if they picked up a dog after a road accident?

It's just a thought. I hope you get her back safe and sound.

Just out of interest, if you do have a car accident involving a dog, don't you have to inform the police? I'm sure you have to in the UK and there is a law governing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

kleefarr wrote: »
    Just out of interest, if you do have a car accident involving a dog, don't you have to inform the police? I'm sure you have to in the UK and there is a law governing that.

Once a dog ran into the side of a van I was driving. I felt the bump and stopped. The dog was dead. I drove to a nearby Garda station to report it. I was told not to worry... sort of dismissed. After telling the Garda in charge that the dog looked well looked after and I wanted the report taken seriously I was told I was wasting Garda time.

But I do know that you're not supposed to swerve to avoid a domestic animal. I think the law is different for horses.

Rashers wrote: »
    But I do know that you're not supposed to swerve to avoid a domestic animal. I think the law is different for horses.

I'll give you a laugh.

This was the nearest I've come to having a car crash.

I was off out shooting one day, driving through Co.Meath and a rabbit ran out in front of me, I swerved to avoid it, stuck the car in a ditch (I missed the rabbit) then laughed at my stupidity - I was off out to shoot rabbits!.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

:)

Mairt wrote: »
    I'll give you a laugh.

This was the nearest I've come to having a car crash.

I was off out shooting one day, driving through Co.Meath and a rabbit ran out in front of me, I swerved to avoid it, stuck the car in a ditch (I missed the rabbit) then laughed at my stupidity - I was off out to shoot rabbits!.

ANy updates on this one?.

No, still no sign. We have had a few calls from people thinking they saw her, we went out to each call looking and in all cases but one found dogs but none were her.

:(:( I'm really sorry to hear you still haven't found her. I presume Ballinsloe didn't turn up any leads? At least people are calling you so obviously you have managed to get the word out there with posters and flyers etc. Is the person you suspect took her still in the area?

The only thing we got from Balinasloe were sore legs and feet from over 16 hours of walking around. I have never been nor never want to be in such a place in my life, the conditions of some of the animals there was appalling. There were police, animal inspectors and community wardens around the place but they seem to be powerless to do much about it for whatever reason.

The person we suspect took her is not from this immediate area, we know where they live and they have been questioned but nothing came of it. We image she was moved on from wherever she was originally taken to.

We hope she gets out from wherever she is and makes her way home herself or finds a good hearted person who will bring her home safe.

Like so many animals, Princess is a special soul and she is very much loved. With so many people wishing her home safe and praying for her she has to come home safe. We are due to be married in less than 2 weeks, there is no way we can celebrate a wedding without her home.

Thanks again to everyone who is thinking of her.

Teresa
    087 268 2466

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Ah God what a horrible time for you with your wedding coming up :( My thoughts are with you, I hope she makes her way back to you x

It sounds like you are being positive and that will keep you going. She is a very distinctive dog and that is in her favour. Twink's lurcher was stolen and she got her back 7 months later so never give up hope. I will keep bumping the threads on the UK websites just in case she has crossed the water.

I don't envy you having to experience Ballinasloe. They did a nice fluff piece on it on TV3 News and even in some of their shots, the condition of the horses were poor. Then they had shots of traveller children with small puppies with blue rope around their necks. :(:mad: They were saying what a great tradition the fair was and how much fun people had. Sod the animals, once the people are having fun.

Hey everyone,

This is Princess. Mammy and Daddy told me that you have all been praying and sending happy wishes our way, well they worked!

Mammy got a phone call around noon from Lorna at DSPCA on Mount Venus in Dublin. Lorna had received a photo of me from Mammy (one of hundreds of emails Mammy sent!) and when Lorna saw me she called Mammy straight away.

A nice lady called Linda found me in Tallaght yesterday and she brought me home with her and gave me some food and drink, then she brought me into the DSPCA.

When Lorna called Mammy, both Mammy and Daddy started to cry they were so happy and relived. They knew I’d come home but as the days went by they worried more and more about me and what was happening to me. I’ve lost a lot of weight and my shiny black coat was very dirty, dull and beginning to go brown because I wasn’t getting any nutrition.

The funny thing is my Mammy’s best friend, Mari went to Balinasloe to help look for me there and I was found only 5 minutes away from Mari’s house in front of the shop where Mari does her shopping! On the way home we dropped by Linda’s and Mark’s (the lady who found me) house, we gave them some flowers and chocolates, I think Mammy scared Linda cause when she opened her door Mammy was stood there in tears and then she gave Linda a big hug!

I’ve had a bath and Mammy made me some yumyum chicken & rice for dinner and now I’m going to curl up beside the fire and sleep for the rest of the week! Daddy said I’m having steak tomorrow, I can’t wait.

Mammy and Daddy said that we’re never going to be out of their sight again, there goes my digging holes in the garden again anyway.

Thank you all for being so supportive and kind, we all appreciate it very much.

Lots of doggie kisses,

Princess

PS
    Remember that Halloween is coming soon so keep all your doggies in doors!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Delighted all ended well.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

Love seeing a happy ending

Advertisement