Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balance bike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

Hi V1llianous,

We're not a bricks and mortar store, but delivery is only €5 and you can pick up for free and have a look before you buy if you like.

We have these

1215429902.jpg

and for girls:

1215429794.jpg

Both at www.woodentoys.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

di11on wrote: »
    Hi V1llianous,

We're not a bricks and mortar store, but delivery is only €5 and you can pick up for free and have a look before you buy if you like.

Both at www.woodentoys.ie

Thanks for that, as my little fella has a past history of breaking wooden furniture etc the boss thought it would be a better idea for a steel / metal one so it could be passed down in a couple of years time to the next one. And the obvious added benefit of a brake :D

Will bear it in mind if can't find what looking for.

Why don't the boys get stickers on their bikes too ??? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

V1llianous wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm looking to get a balance bike for my little chap.

I've looked online and found these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Laufrad-Ratz-Fratz-Luftbereifung-Zoll/dp/B000OZ0A9M/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=kids&qid=1222692092&sr=1-6

and http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_503457_langId_-1_categoryId_123032

Does anyone know of a bricks and mortar store in Dublin or Belfast which sell these or something similar ?

Thanks in advance.

i think the euro baby/euro cycle do them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭G&T

We bought a regular bike where he could put his feet on
    the ground and took the peddals off till he found his balance,
    put them back on as soon as he could come all the way down a slight hill of 20m without touching his feet off the ground,

Saddle can be raised in time.

Start to finish 2 weeks,10 -15 mins a day.

Thanks for that guys !

Spoke to the guy in the local bike shop and they recommend the buy a normal bike and take the pedal off approach as if measured correctly the bike should grow with them for a year or two.

He also said for information that a lot of the kids who use balance bikes drag their feet when they get on normal bikes as this is how they are used to using bikes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Tawny

I think you have found your solution but just so you know there are four or five halfords shops in and around Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

there's a halfords in dublin too, in tallaght next to B&Q and they have a pretty big selection of bicycles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

pardon my ignorance, whats the difference between a balance bike and a regular metal framed bike. If it has to do with not falling over whats wrong with stabalizers. They can be removed when hes ready. Can find them anywhere.

there's a halfords in dublin too, in tallaght next to B&Q and they have a pretty big selection of bicycles

The models in Halfords are only available in the online shop only. They state that they cannot be ordered for collection in store.

I've checked my local shop in Liffey Valley to no avail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

pardon my ignorance, whats the difference between a balance bike and a regular metal framed bike. If it has to do with not falling over whats wrong with stabalizers. They can be removed when hes ready. Can find them anywhere.

Balance bikes have no pedals. Kids learn to balance on the bike without having the added strain of learning to cycle the pedals at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

If you got a normal bike with stabalisers then the kid could learn pedals and most importantly BRAKES before worrying about balance.

I can't imagine a kid would be too impressed with a glorified tightrope.

Cycling a real bike with stabalisers take a few days to learn and it FUN because it actually works like a real bike. Take off the stabalisers and it's another few days to master balance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 Silent80

I have bought wooden balance bike for my 2,5 years old son, and I have to say that it was the best choice, I can fully recommended to buy the balance bike for all of the parents :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

considering the kid in question is now 4 years older, my guess is he's riding a full bike now.:pac:

at 4/5 you should be getting a small but normal bicycle as that is the age they'll be learning to ride properly without stabilisers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 Silent80

Please check adverts.ie I found 1 running bike looks like a Police motorbike - brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Balance bike are pretty much the best kids bikes ever, stay away from that stabaliser nonsense, I bought a cheap one in smyths fror my little lad as it was the smallest one available, when he was 2. Hes now just gone 3 and Santa is bringing him this one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kettler-Speedy-12-5-Inch-Balance-Bike/dp/B002UXQM34/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1351950252&sr=1-1-catcorr

I got it last week and its very good quality. Hes so good on them I reckon he'll be pedalling before hes 4.

The wooden ones shown are also very good quality and I would recommend one of the ones shown either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

G&T wrote: »
    put them back on as soon as he could come all the way down a slight hill of 20m without touching his feet off the ground,

Thats a great idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

G&T wrote: »

How old was he?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I got one of these for my lady during the summer, she loves it! She is almost two and this should last her for a good while yet as both the saddle and handlebars can be raised up in height. It is light so easy for her to manage but sturdy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

http://www.striderbikes.ie/

We have two of these. One is about 2 years old and has got some hammering and is still going strong. Thoroughly recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

We're going to get our son one of these for his 2nd birthday which is in January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Silent80 wrote: »
    I have bought wooden balance bike for my 2,5 years old son, and I have to say that it was the best choice, I can fully recommended to buy the balance bike for all of the parents :)

Do not bump 3 year old threads. And if I see you advertise your company once in Parenting or any sub-forums as you did with your last account you will be immediately permabanned.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement