Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish breakfast cereals have higher levels of sugar and fat

• 29-09-2008 1:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭

From today's Irish Times:
    Irish breakfast cereals have higher levels of sugar and fat

PAUL CULLEN, Consumer Affairs Correspondent

Mon, Sep 29, 2008

SOME IRISH children's breakfast cereals contain more fat and/or sugar than the same product sold in other countries, a survey has found.

All the children's cereals tested contained "unacceptably" high levels of sugar, with an average of 33 per cent, according to the results of international research published in Consumer Choice magazine.

Irish children eating cereals are also more likely to be subjected to health claims than children elsewhere. For example, an Irish box of Kellogg's Frosties claims the cereal has the goodness of grains, but in six other countries no claim is made.

The survey found Kellogg's Coco Pops Coco Rocks contained almost 9 per cent fat in Ireland, but only 1.3 per cent fat when sold in Australia and New Zealand. Rice Krispies were found to contain 13 per cent here, but only 10 per cent sugar in most of the other 13 countries surveyed. Fat levels in this product were 1-1.3 per cent in Ireland, but only 0.7 per cent in the US, Australia and New Zealand.

The Consumers' Association of Ireland (CAI), which publishes Consumer Choice, says the results show manufacturers can produce healthier cereals with lower amounts of sugar, salt and fat.

Kellogg's Ireland described the survey as alarmist. A spokesperson said it was based on an average portion size of 100 grams, when the average child would eat no more than 30-40 grams per serving. Breakfast cereals contributed only 13-15 per cent of the average child's daily sugar requirement while providing a significant portion of the vitamins and nutrients they need.

Asked why sugar and and salt levels in some products were higher in Ireland, the spokesperson said brand formulation varied from continent to continent for a variety of reasons.

The research does not explain why the formulation of cereal products varies, but it is thought to be due to perceived differences in national tastes, suggesting the Irish may be seen as having a sweeter tooth.

The research, carried out by 31 consumer organisations around the world, says cartoons, bright colours, prize tokens and other marketing strategies are widely used to "entice" children to eat high-sugar cereals.

Among the products surveyed, Frosties contained the highest level of sugar, at 40 per cent, while Nestle Golden Nuggets had 38.7 per cent.

Rice Krispies had the lowest level of sugar, but borderline high levels of sodium. All the products had low or acceptable levels of fat. While all the products gave information on guideline daily amounts, for most products the figure given was for an adult.

© 2008 The Irish Times

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Heard it reported on the news this morning. Shocking stuff really, I hope they're made answer these statistics.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Their comment on the use of 100g in the study, instead of 30-40g is pathetic:
    1) 100g was probably just chosen for matters of convenience
    2) The results are discussed in percentages
    3) What kid/adult do you know that eats just 30g??? My brother used to eat cereal by the casserole dish when he was in his early teens.

Unfortunately, this sort of thing is also happening with foods that are less quantifiable. For example, the varieties of apples that are stocked by supermarkets contain more sugar than a generation ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Just for interest, I weighed a bowl of cereal that one of the children poured out this morning. 85g of Fruit and Fibre, and eldest child would normally take a second bowl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

spot on about the portion sizes - i find 100g is more likely portion size for me, the same goes for porridge / muesli ... Most cereals inc porridge and even the less healthy stuff are not too high in calories / 100g but i guess the problem lies with the other added ingredients!! In fairness though, common sense must apply - most people must surely know that coca pops and frosties are not in the same league as porridge and other healthier stuff? Even fruit and fiber isnt actually that bad considering! On a slight aside (while were on the topic of childrens diets), was in tesco last nite and woman in front in Q spent nearly €200 on groceries, she had 5 or 6 kid's with her, two trollies full and it was shocking, not a single vegetable or piece of fruit or meat (except crappy processed stuff) or wholegrain in sight ... one trolly was full of white bread, bottles of coke, tesco's version of coca pops and value packs of sausages and processed sandwich meat ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭ali.c

OMG That is shocking. presume it's for taste reasons although it still seems bizarre
    corkcomp wrote: »
    On a slight aside (while were on the topic of childrens diets), was in tesco last nite and woman in front in Q spent nearly €200 on groceries, she had 5 or 6 kid's with her, two trollies full and it was shocking, not a single vegetable or piece of fruit or meat (except crappy processed stuff) or wholegrain in sight ... one trolly was full of white bread, bottles of coke, tesco's version of coca pops and value packs of sausages and processed sandwich meat ...
    Seriously, that is shocking mind you it costs me about €100 a week to feed 2 adults (plenty of protein, fresh veg etc) so i can imagine that budget is likely to be influencing her choices. It is shocking but i think we likely dont have the full story!

• Advertisement

ali.c wrote: »
    OMG That is shocking. presume it's for taste reasons although it still seems bizarre

Seriously, that is shocking mind you it costs me about €100 a week to feed 2 adults (plenty of protein, fresh veg etc) so i can imagine that budget is likely to be influencing her choices. It is shocking but i think we likely dont have the full story!

yeah, that occured to me but when then i saw her handing over €200! I know some "healthy" food can be expensive if your venturing down the route of fresh salmon and pre cut / washed brocolli!! but overall you could get a LOT of fresh fruit / vegetables and lean meat fillets for half that and even swapping the cereals for porridge would be a huge saving! and as for the coke .. well what can i say?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

ali.c wrote: »

Meat is always going to be the most expensive food item (unless you have a penchant for fresh truffles..). But all that crap quality meat really isn't value for money. Once I picked up a pack of burgers and it said "50% meat!" I put them down pretty quickly. Low-quality chicken breasts can contain up to 40% water - good value? Not really.

Plus all that processed stuff, ie packaged etc is more expensive precisely because of the extra processing. It's the "value-added" stuff that supermarkets love. Eg tomato sauce is 4 tomatoes, 1 onion, 2 garlic cloves, splash of wine if you want. Probably around €1.50. Jar of tomato sauce costs about €3.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

A dozen eggs costs less than a box of cheerios. I've always found cereal ridiculously expensive.. isn't the sugary stuff almost €5 a box? You can buy organic Omega 3 enriched eggs for that!

neddas wrote: »
    A dozen eggs costs less than a box of cheerios. I've always found cereal ridiculously expensive.. isn't the sugary stuff almost €5 a box? You can buy organic Omega 3 enriched eggs for that!

mostly yeah but you can buy 1KG of porridge oats for just under €2 and thats going to last a while ....

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

True, but I find porridge leaves me starving by 12pm..

I need some protein in the morning, and eggs contain way more of your RDA of essential vitamins and minerals than porridge does.

An bowl of porridge costs maybe <20c. An free range organic egg costs 60c.. hardly an extravagance even in these uncertain financial times :)

It's just a case of bad, better, best..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

I once sat down and worked out how much I was spending every week on food for each member of the family. Feeling guilty because of all the eggs etc I was buying for my low carb diet. Turned out my diet was the cheapest, and the children were the most expensive. Even though I buy the basic cornflakes, not the sugary ones and not big name brands, they still added a lot to the budget, especially because of the speed they can get through a box.

And my children are not typical. They do eat whole foods, lots of veg etc and don't whine for fizzy drinks. At a party recently where one child (very overweight) refused to drink anything except coke and to eat anything except dessert. She ate four of those!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Eggs are not 'better' than porridge, they're incomparable.

Porridge on its own leaves me hungry, porridge with whey keeps me very satiated for hours. Plus you can add berries and crushed nuts and all sorts of yumminess to increase the vitamin/ mineral content of your breakfast.

Personally I'm an egg person in the a.m., but I don't consider them better than porridge, I just prefer the taste first thing. Porridge is one of my favourite post-workout quick suppers.

I need some protein in the morning, and eggs contain way more of your RDA of essential vitamins and minerals than porridge does.

An bowl of porridge costs maybe <20c. An free range organic egg costs 60c.. hardly an extravagance even in these uncertain financial times :)

i was simply making the point that low carb is not necessarily cheaper, this thread isnt really about carbs vs protein for breakfast ... In my experience kids function better having some slow release complex carbs for breakfast ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

EileenG wrote: »
    Just for interest, I weighed a bowl of cereal that one of the children poured out this morning. 85g of Fruit and Fibre, and eldest child would normally take a second bowl.
    Yep, I am always going on about portions, and especially cereals. They should have a law about it, the photos on the packs are fecking huge, they should get them on that, though perfectly legal they cannot defend it. There is some cereal in an ad at the moment where the father trys to tell his daughter it is not great (so he gets to eat it all) and the bowl has a huge amount in it.

Sugar puffs are 48 or 49% sugar, so higher than any listed there. But most people do not add sugar to them, many would buy regular flakes and kids could be putting even more on them.

I would sooner give a kid porridge and a mini mars if he finishes it. Or make them porridge oats pancakes with a little maple syrup. I have been making wholemeal french toast lately.

I would also like to see the full details of the studies, when in the US I was shocked at the cereals. They may not have the same brand here.
    Fat levels in this product were 1-1.3 per cent in Ireland, but only 0.7 per cent in the US, Australia and New Zealand.
    That could well be since there was no room left for fat, with all the sugar in them;)

This was listed as a photo of 35g museli, a "normal portion"
    museli.jpg

Now the marketers versions

muesli.jpg
    af-bowl-muesli.jpg
    Organic%20Muesli.jpg
    muesli-280_000.jpg

g'em wrote: »
    Eggs are not 'better' than porridge, they're incomparable.

Porridge on its own leaves me hungry, porridge with whey keeps me very satiated for hours. Plus you can add berries and crushed nuts and all sorts of yumminess to increase the vitamin/ mineral content of your breakfast.

Personally I'm an egg person in the a.m., but I don't consider them better than porridge, I just prefer the taste first thing. Porridge is one of my favourite post-workout quick suppers.

i always find i am hungry about 3 hrs after breakfast no matter what i eat, or what quantity .. i would guess this is normal? i try to have as much fruit / nuts as possible with the porridge as it defo keeps me full for longer ... the thought of having only scambled eggs in the morning doesnt do it for me .. i always crave carbs after morning run :D

corkcomp wrote: »
    i always find i am hungry about 3 hrs after breakfast no matter what i eat, or what quantity .. i would guess this is normal?
    If you're quite an active person then yup, absolutely - you'll find yourself getting quite peckish every 2-3 hours without fail.

It makes me really cringe when I think back to how many heaps of sugar I used to spoon over my Bran Flakes a few years ago, blissfully unaware of the iorny of adding so much sucrose to my "healthy" (:o) breakfast cereal.

Bran flakes are the sneakiest, most thing they are "good for you", since they taste bland, and then put sugar on presuming there is little or none in them

They are 22% sugar!!!

http://www.kellogg.co.uk/products/branflakes/cereal/bran_flakes.aspx

And look how the snakes list it!
    Wholewheat, Wheatbran (21%), Sugar, Salt, Barley Malt Flavouring, Honey, Niacin, Iron, Vitamin B6, Riboflavin (B2), Thiamin (B1), Folic Acid, Vitamin D, Vitamin B12.
    Translated- wholewheat, wheatbran, sugar, salt, sugar, sugar.

rubadub wrote: »
    lol, it's amazing how clever the marketing is behind these products is isn't it?! I'd love to do a side-by-side comparison of the 'healthy' cereals vs the kids' ones, I'm sure there's not that much of a difference in sugar/salt content tbh.

lol, it's amazing how clever the marketing is behind these products is isn't it?! I'd love to do a side-by-side comparison of the 'healthy' cereals vs the kids' ones, I'm sure there's not that much of a difference in sugar/salt content tbh.

the salt content of bran flakes is mad!! and TBH you cant blame someone for pouring sugar over them as they taste like card board, IMO ... the only cereals i normally have are porridge / homemade muesli / weetabix or maybe fruit n fibre if eating away from home ...

I'm sure there's not that much of a difference in sugar/salt content tbh.
    Yep, very little. Just go into the shops and hold them side by side. Problem is the kids do not even realise it is junk so do not "appreciate" it, i.e. I mentioned they would be better to have porridge and then a mini mars, the kids would probably think this is more of a treat than their cocoa pops, and if you add up the numbers they are probably getting less crap.

Those cereal bars are horrendous too, I would sooner get it over and done with and just eat some REAL bars for breakfast (which I admit I do the odd time!). But I am not fooling myself, I could have some crappy cereal bar, but it is just as bad, but tastes crap! If you are going to eat junk go all out and at least treat yourself :D The bars have tiny portions too, so are a ripoff, give me a peanut butter kitkat anyday.

I remember my sister offloading loads of snacks onto me, one was a really rich chocolate cake, I took out her new "health" food from the press, the cereal bar had more fat and sugar than the cake. She was shocked but still said "well I can't sit there eating that in work, I would look like a pig", fully aware that she was fooling herself and trying to fool others. She had my other pet hate too, instant noodles, 420kcal per miserable 65g pack.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 familykane

I thought I was just a greedy basta! :eek:

porridge ALWAYS leaves me hungry.

I think protein takes longer to burn off hence that's why it makes you feel fuller. Not positive if that is actually why so don't beat me up if I have this wrong!

any way getting to the point of the €200 **** shopping. Aldi is so much better than tesco

You get in buy the stuff you need and get back out again. none of this buy two things you don't want for €5. it's a way of upselling **** you just don't need. the Chicken is ok - not tried the beef. the premium mince is grand though.

I believe Legs of lamb are better in Lidle though

We still go back to Tesco to buy the toiletries & cleaning products.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

You think our cereals are bad? look what they feed kids in the U.S.

http://health.yahoo.com/experts/eatthis/13908/americas-worst-breakfast-foods/
    Worst Kids Meal

Denny’s Big Dipper French Toastix with margarine and syrup
    770 calories
    71 g fat (13 g saturated)
    107 g carbs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

I'm with you. Eggs in the morning and porridge in the evening is the way to do it! :)

cozmik wrote: »
    You think our cereals are bad? look what they feed kids in the U.S.

http://health.yahoo.com/experts/eatthis/13908/americas-worst-breakfast-foods/
    Jaysus-that's insane.

Did anyone else go through a Poptart phase?Whaddya know! Also manufactured by Kelloggs.

Oh look at the nice "healthy message" thrown at you when you go onto the website: http://www.poptarts.com/healthymessage/index.html
    Note the complete lack of nutritional information

About 200 cals, 15g sugar & 5g fat per poptart. And sometimes I would have been greedy and had 3...

TBH we cant blame it all on the multinational co's like Kelloggs etc, People have to take responsibility for what they put into their own mouths ... Most people prefer not to think about these things but in reality they are well aware that pop tarts / coca pops / other sugar coated cereals are not as nutritionally beneficial as a bowl of porridge or a couple of fresh eggs .. Cost is something that is often used as an excuse but most of the time it's BS - a loaf of whole grain bread is the same price as crappy white bread, fresh (loose) veg are cheaper than the pre packaged ones .. etc .etc sometimes small changes can make a huge difference

You're right about the cost issue.

But I do place a lot of blame on Kelloggs and their ilk. Firstly, they target kids and rely heavily on the 'nag factor', where kids are motivated by bright colours, gender stereotyped crap, keeping up with their friends, not standing out by not having something and their natural tendency to go for sweet, bland, "safe" flavours. It's easy (and true) to say that parent's shouldn't give in, but I think this is a case of "easier said than done".

As an adult, I'm totally responsible for my own nutrition but I am human. I have a natural preference for salt, sugar, fat, etc for evolutionary reasons. In addition, I had to get off my oversized butt and educate myself on nutrition on my own steam. I didn't learn it in school because I thought Home Ec was just learning how to sew. Home Ec was never treated, by parents or teachers, as the learning of important life-skills in the same way bisorg or physics was. Learning how to cook & nutrition shouldn't be optional in school. Plus, where was the course in college that explained how advertising works??

Moreover, a lot of these things are marketed as healthy so it's a case of a little bit of knowledge being a dangerous thing: "Corn? That's a grain, that's healthy - let's get some cornflakes. Plus Kelloggs keeps telling me its healthy so it must be true."

So we allow misleading advertising that preys on our and our children's natural tendencies and at the same time, we fail to equip them with the tools to counter all this advertising. I agree with the idea of personal responsibility but why are we making it so damn hard for ourselves, just so that a few multinationals can profit? I don't see any of them picking up the tab for the huge range of social, environmental and economic damages that their products contribute to.

Because I'm in a procrastinating mood with work...

All-Bran:
    Wheat Bran (86%), Sugar, Barley Malt Flavouring, Glucose-Fructose Syrup, Salt, Niacin, Iron, Vitamin B6, Riboflavin (B2), Thiamin (B1), Folic Acid, Vitamin D, Vitamin B12.
    Per 100g:
    17g sugar
    280 cal

Bran-Flakes:
    Wholewheat, Wheatbran (21%), Sugar, Salt, Barley Malt Flavouring, Honey, Niacin, Iron, Vitamin B6, Riboflavin (B2), Thiamin (B1), Folic Acid, Vitamin D, Vitamin B12.
    Per 100g:
    22g sugar
    326 cal

Coco Pops:
    Rice, Sugar, Chocolate (6%)(Sugar, Cocoa Mass), Fat Reduced Cocoa Powder, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Glucose-Fructose Syrup, Barley Malt Flavouring, Flavouring, Niacin, Iron, Vitamin B6, Riboflavin (B2), Thiamin (B1), Folic Acid, Vitamin B12.
    Per 100g:
    34g sugar
    387 cal

Corn Flakes:
    Maize, Sugar, Barley Malt Flavouring, Salt, Glucose-Fructose Syrup, Niacin, Iron, Vitamin B6, Riboflavin (B2), Thiamin (B1), Folic Acid, Vitamin B12.
    Per 100g:
    8g sugar
    372 cal

Crunchy Nut Corn Flakes:
    Maize, Brown Sugar (Sugar, Molasses), Peanuts (7%), Sugar, Honey (2%), Barley Malt Flavouring, Salt, Glucose-Fructose Syrup, Niacin, Iron, Vitamin B6, Riboflavin (B2), Thiamin (B1), Folic Acid, Vitamin B12.
    Per 100g:
    35g sugar
    397 cal

Frosties:
    Maize, Sugar, Barley Malt Flavouring, Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Glucose-Fructose Syrup, Niacin, Iron, Vitamin B6, Riboflavin (B2), Thiamin (B1), Folic Acid, Vitamin B12.
    Per 100g:
    37g sugar
    371 cal

Just Right:
    Wholewheat, Maize, Rice, Brown Sugar (Sugar, Molasses), Raisins (6.5%), Rolled Oats, Sugar, Dates (3%) (Humectant : Glycerol), Sliced Almonds (1%), Salt, Barley Malt Flavouring, Niacin, Iron, Vitamin B6, Riboflavin (B2), Thiamin (B1), Folic Acid, Vitamin B12.
    Per 100g:
    22g sugar
    366 cal

Country Store:
    Oats, Maize, Wholewheat, Brown Sugar, Sultanas (8.5%), Milk Whey Powder, Sugar, Wheat Bran, Hazelnuts (1.5%), Dried Apple (1%), Salt, Barley Malt Flavouring, Honey, Glucose-Fructose Syrup, Niacin, Iron, Vitamin B6, Riboflavin (B2), Thiamin (B1), Folic Acid, Vitamin B12.
    Per 100g:
    24g sugar
    353 cal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

rubadub wrote: »
    look how the snakes list it!

"Wholewheat, Wheatbran (21%), Sugar, Salt, Barley Malt Flavouring, Honey, Niacin, Iron, Vitamin B6, Riboflavin (B2), Thiamin (B1), Folic Acid, Vitamin D, Vitamin B12."

What's "snakey" about that?
    It's an ingredients declaration, not a thesaurus.

I suppose "lamb" should be listed as "dead baby sheep"??

What's "snakey" about that?
    It's an ingredients declaration, not a thesaurus.

I suppose "lamb" should be listed as "dead baby sheep"??

chillax, I think you've misinterpreted the post a tad there. It's snakey because Bran-Flakes are touted as one of the 'healthiest' of breakfast cereals that Kellogg's have to offer, but the reality (which is thinly veiled in a less than upfront way on their ingredients list) is that while the two main ingredients are indeed wholewheat and bran, the remaining ingredients are salt and sugar making it more than a little unhealthy, despite what the manufacturer's claim.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

The reality (which is thinly veiled in a less than upfront way on their ingredients list) is that while the two main ingredients are indeed wholewheat and bran, the remaining ingredients are salt and sugar making it more than a little unhealthy, despite what the manufacturer's claim.

Food manufacturers have to state what ingredients are in their products. Any claim that is made on their food must be backed up. For example, a product must be a minimum of 6% fibre to be marketed as "High in fibre".
    Correct me if I am wrong, but Bran Flakes are not marketed as "low in sugar". Therefore, there are no lies or false claims being made.

I am beginning to think this thread should be moved to Conspiracy Theories- I mean the ingredients and nutritional information are printed clearly in black and white on the packet so where is all the hiding???

Advertisement