Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting pregnant hard or easy

• 29-09-2008 2:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭

Laughing at how your opinion changes on getting pregnant as you move through life. When I was on the pill trying not get pregnant I thought sex just once without protection and I'd get pregnant cause it's that easy. Now I want to get pregnant it's more like I need to have lots of sex cause it can be so hard to get pregnant. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Yep, I always err on the side of caution and assume that even being in the same room as a penis will get me pregnant if I don't use protection.

Gonna be so crap if I turn out to be infertile!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭nomorebadtown

Piste wrote: »
    Yep, I always err on the side of caution and assume that even being in the same room as a penis will get me pregnant if I don't use protection.

Gonna be so crap if I turn out to be infertile!
    lol:D
    its the same for everyone...condom may have split/ took pill 30 seconds later than usual = 100% positive pregnancy with triplets PANIC!!!:eek:
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Haha that sums my attitude up to a tee!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

Seems to be one of the great ironings.

Women spend so long trying not to get pregnant and then can spend years trying to and wishing they just bit the bullet way before and stopped using contraception. But sure how do you ever know until you try?

It's a big frickin lottery.

You could go down the ovulation testing road, find out the optimum days for babymaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

ah we're only on first month of trying, so still fun at this stage :-) We'll look at the kits etc. in a couple of months, maybe.
    I just thought the complete change in my attitude was funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,333 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Moved from The Ladies Lounge

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Mind Hunter 85

to put it into figures getting pregnant is easy for 9 out of 10 couples by easy i mean up to one year of trying (usually less)
    unfortunately i'm the 1 out of 10 who its not easy at all :(
    as far as i know 1 in 4 or 1 in 5 can't remember which, get pregnant on the first month of trying.
    but then even when you get pregnant 15-20% of all pregnancies end in miscarriage :(
    sorry if i'm being depressing with these figures feeling down today.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Aisling&M

ah, interesting question. For me it's hard, for most others it seems to be easy. I'm 2.5 years trying so far. I hope you never have to get this far. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭mel123

Definatly hard. U never think u will have a problem until u start trying, and the longer u have to try, the more depressing it gets!! "the deed" is becoming a bit of a chore at this stage :eek: When i was younger, didnt know/think much about ovulating and fertile days, now i'm a bit of an expert!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

I was going to ask a similar question.....

I have avery irregular cycle (6 weeks approx)

I have all the symptons of being pregnant, but did a test that was negative. I'm scared that I'm infertile or broken now...

Has anyone else experienced this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

A 6 week cycle is with in the range of normal but to be sure you are best getting your dr to refer you for a gyn appointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

ASTA20 wrote: »
    but then even when you get pregnant 15-20% of all pregnancies end in miscarriage :(

It's actually a lot more than that I'm afraid. As newer pregnancy tests have become available which show positive HCG levels sooner it's emerged that as many as 75% of all fertilised eggs fail to implant or miscarry due to lack of genetic information. On the otherhand a lot more people get pregnant than were initially thought it's just that they never knew.

I'm one of those who got pregnant really quickly but lost it just as quick.

I have all the symptons of being pregnant, but did a test that was negative. I'm scared that I'm infertile or broken now...

It's possible that you're pregnant but your HCG levels aren't high enough to show on a test yet. It's possible that you've conceived but the zygote couldn't implant (incredibly common) and this has delayed your period. Or it's possible that by stressing you've delayed it's arrival.

I know all this as I'm in the exact same boat this month. I'm late but keep getting negative on tests. It's very frustrating, but there is probably a reasonable explanation. If I don't get a period or a positive test by next week I'll see a doctor. In the mean time I'm just trying to keep calm about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

iguana wrote: »
    It's possible that you're pregnant but your HCG levels aren't high enough to show on a test yet. It's possible that you've conceived but the zygote couldn't implant (incredibly common) and this has delayed your period. Or it's possible that by stressing you've delayed it's arrival.

I know all this as I'm in the exact same boat this month. I'm late but keep getting negative on tests. It's very frustrating, but there is probably a reasonable explanation. If I don't get a period or a positive test by next week I'll see a doctor. In the mean time I'm just trying to keep calm about it.

I've decided to go to the doc next sat, and i'll do another test on the weekend if I don't come on. I'm really hoping to have a baby. Aww can you imagine if both were pregnant? lol
    Thaedydal wrote: »
    A 6 week cycle is with in the range of normal but to be sure you are best getting your dr to refer you for a gyn appointment.
    I'm waiting to get called....think I'm gonna try back home and not in dub, and see if I one quicker.

It's actually a lot more than that I'm afraid. As newer pregnancy tests have become available which show positive HCG levels sooner it's emerged that as many as 75% of all fertilised eggs fail to implant or miscarry due to lack of genetic information. On the otherhand a lot more people get pregnant than were initially thought it's just that they never knew.

First off Sorry for you loss/losses I have also experienced pregnancy loss I know it is incredibly difficult .
    I never did research on chemical pregnancies as such so was unaware of newer figures.
    I've also thought about how many times i could have been pregnant but never tested even when weeks late due to being irregular at the time anyway so it makes a lot of sense.

My body is playing tricks on us. Two days late this month, do test this morning, negative, then just so it can laught at us, my monthly start 5 minutes later :-( Doh

Hard luck Barbiegirl ,someone said this to me some time ago and I think its a really nice way of thinking of things .'Each failed cycle is not a failure as its one month closer to success' {if you get what I'm sayin]

Yep, I get it :-) I just keep telling myself that next year Santa will be coming to our house too. I'm always at my most broody at Christmas time, have been for years, but it's only this year that all the pieces are in place, the home, the job and most importantly my gorgeous husband :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Aisling&M

barbiegirl wrote: »
    Yep, I get it :-) I just keep telling myself that next year Santa will be coming to our house too. I'm always at my most broody at Christmas time, have been for years, but it's only this year that all the pieces are in place, the home, the job and most importantly my gorgeous husband :-)

I have a hard time around Christmas too. This is my 3rd since starting to try and it is tough on and off. I keep saying to myself "I'll definitely be pregnant by next Christmas" so when it comes (again!) it's like a big punch in the gut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Yep! I have a cycle between 31-44 days, we started trying not expecting to get preggers any time soon as I have PCOS.

Started doing tests from day 31, did 7 in total all negative. On day 58, still no period, did another test and it was positive.

Unfortunately the pregnancy ended in miscarriage a month ago, as do 20-25% of all pregnancies.

Still, I know I can get pregnant! Something we were unsure of before as I had been told I may need help to concieve.

Will it be as easy to get pregnant again? I doubt it! Life just isn't that fair :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 curly_girly

I'm kinda in the same position , I think?
    I've just come off the pill and we've started trying.
    My cycle before i started the pill was approx. 32-34 days.
    I'm now on day 39 and not a sign of my period - no sore boobs, no moods, no stomach cramps, nothing.
    I've tested every day since day 32, 7 tests in all, ALL negative.
    At this stage I'd actually be glad even to get my period. I'm petrified there's something wrong with me.
    Maybe my body's just adjusting to coming off the pill, maybe I'm already pregnant. All I definitely know is that I'm ever so slightly scared.
    And of course, as if to add insult to injury, both my sister and best friend have just announced they're pregnant! Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted for them, just feel like the world's plotting against me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

ASTA20 wrote: »
    to put it into figures getting pregnant is easy for 9 out of 10 couples by easy i mean up to one year of trying (usually less)
    unfortunately i'm the 1 out of 10 who its not easy at all :(
    as far as i know 1 in 4 or 1 in 5 can't remember which, get pregnant on the first month of trying.
    sorry if i'm being depressing with these figures feeling down today.

Folks,

Can I please ask that, if you're going to quote statistics, can you please back them up with some sort of scientific study or medical proof? Not being a pain in the ass or anything but it isn't too helpful for people to read "statistics" here when they're trying to conceive - I wouldn't want anyone here to feel disheartened or stressed unneccessarily.

Hearing that 75 per cent of fertilised eggs fail to implant are fairly bleak statistics, but if they're not backed up in some way, they're just pie in the sky and could be causing undue anxiety to couples reading.

Thanks!

embee wrote: »
    Folks,

Can I please ask that, if you're going to quote statistics, can you please back them up with some sort of scientific study or medical proof? Not being a pain in the ass or anything but it isn't too helpful for people to read "statistics" here when they're trying to conceive - I wouldn't want anyone here to feel disheartened or stressed unneccessarily.

Hearing that 75 per cent of fertilised eggs fail to implant are fairly bleak statistics, but if they're not backed up in some way, they're just pie in the sky and could be causing undue anxiety to couples reading.

Thanks!

It's what I was told by several doctors following my miscarriage, and it's in my dealing with mc booklet which was given to me. A swift google brings up a lot of links with that statistic. I was posting on this thread because I am part of one of those couples who is trying to have a baby, after losing my first pregnancy. The fact that so many early pregnancies are lost is daunting when you are trying to get pregnant, but once you've miscarried it is actually a good thing to know as it helps stop you blaming yourself. Then you start trying again and it becomes daunting all over again.

But the simple fact is that while it now appears most fertilised eggs fail to implant, the human race continues and most people have babies eventually.

http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/parenting/pregnancy/miscarriage-20080919-4k2u.html

http://www.milupa-aptamil.ie/pregnancy/firstTrimester/you/articles/10/

http://www.health-science-report.com/miscarriage/miscarriage-of-pregnancy/miscarriage-early.html

http://www.illinoisivf.com/recurrent-pregnancy-loss/pre-implantation.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Thanks for those links iguana.

I would just re-iterate that from my own point of view, after reading those links, that it seems to be speculative that 75 per cent of fertilised eggs fail to implant. The words used are "perhaps", "estimated", "maybe" etc. 15-20 per cent of pregnancies ending in miscarriage is even at best estimation, as many very early miscarriages are mistaken as periods.

It's not an exact science, alas, and it is very hard to determine exact figures. Just want to make sure that people don't get terrified.

But I can't link to what my doctor and support group told me, not everything is learned on the internet. It's only a new reality which is coming to light since the creation of earlier and earlier pregnancy tests. It's always been suggested that having sex on or around your ovulation gives roughly a 15% chance of conceiving. But it is becoming more and more apparent, due to earlier testing, that actually your odds of conceiving are higher, but the odds of that zygote implanting are low.

The odds of having a baby are still the same as they always were and once you are a few weeks into your pregnancy the odds of miscarrying drop to 15%. It's why I feel really strongly that anyone who thinks they are pregnant should avoid testing until they are at least a few days late. Having a miscarriage is one of the worst things you can go through, and losing a chemical pregnancy will drag you through the same emotional turmoil, even if it doesn't physically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

I'm kinda in the same position , I think?
    I've just come off the pill and we've started trying.
    My cycle before i started the pill was approx. 32-34 days.
    I'm now on day 39 and not a sign of my period - no sore boobs, no moods, no stomach cramps, nothing.
    I've tested every day since day 32, 7 tests in all, ALL negative.
    At this stage I'd actually be glad even to get my period. I'm petrified there's something wrong with me.
    Maybe my body's just adjusting to coming off the pill, maybe I'm already pregnant. All I definitely know is that I'm ever so slightly scared.
    And of course, as if to add insult to injury, both my sister and best friend have just announced they're pregnant! Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted for them, just feel like the world's plotting against me.

Not sure if this helps but I came off the pill 6 months ago and it was nearly 6 weeks before i had a period and I was nearly freaking out!! But thankfully its been like clockwork since .... i think it was just my body adjusting at the beginning....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 tkyn22

I was the same. I came off the pill few months ago and the first time it took 37 days, but after that, it was about 32 days, which is same as before taking pills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 curly_girly

Karmella wrote: »
    Not sure if this helps but I came off the pill 6 months ago and it was nearly 6 weeks before i had a period and I was nearly freaking out!! But thankfully its been like clockwork since .... i think it was just my body adjusting at the beginning....
    tkyn22 wrote: »
    I was the same. I came off the pill few months ago and the first time it took 37 days, but after that, it was about 32 days, which is same as before taking pills.

Thank you so much for your post. They put me right at ease and hey presto . . . I got my period last week! Thank god! (never thought I'd be so happy to get my period in my life . . .specially not when ttc!!!)
    Now that I know everything is back in working order I'm ready for action and soooooo excited! Fingers crossed! Will keep you posted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

curly_girly,

I was the same when I came off the pill. I was on the pill for years and came off it and my period took quite a few months to come back and even then it wasn't particularly 'normal' I talked to my doctor and she was worried but not too concerned. Came off the pill, again, a few months ago and my period came back a lot quicker and I now appear to have a 'normal' 28 day cycle which I've never had in my entire adult female life!

The pill is a lot of hormones so when you stop taking it your body has to get back to using and making it's own hormones again :)

I'm not ttc or anything but find pregnancy absolutely fascinating. There are lots of natural ways to find out when you ovulate that are cheaper than tests. Read up about how to check your basal body temperature. Also, the mucous that you produce is a very good indicator on when you ovulate.

Have fun trying :)

A.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

Thank you so much for your post. They put me right at ease and hey presto . . . I got my period last week! Thank god! (never thought I'd be so happy to get my period in my life . . .specially not when ttc!!!)
    Now that I know everything is back in working order I'm ready for action and soooooo excited! Fingers crossed! Will keep you posted!

Great stuff!! I was the same - never so happy to get it!! Of course the fact that I had pms for about 3 weeks was the worst part of the wait. Anyway, good luck!! We have just started trying properly now (had to wait as had a trip planned for the middle of the year and didn't want to be about to pop and have to cancel it!) I thought that it may have been a good thing to have the few months to get the pill out of my system and build up the folic acid and all that too (mightn't make any difference either!!)

So.... period due tomorrow, we'll have to see what happens! ;)

Advertisement