Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When did you last go to the dentist?

• 29-09-2008 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭

Following on from Tom Dunne's thread about doctors, but this time with added pain!!! No one likes dentists, not even dentists, so often if there isn't something desperately wrong people will avoid them. When did you last go and how often do you go? I can't even remember my last visit, it must have been when I was still in secondary school (five years ago maybe??) I know I need to go cause I need my wisdom teeth looked at, but I was putting it off for ages cause I don't have a medical card. Will get it done soon I swear!

How often do you go to the dentist? 71 votes

Every six months, just like you are told to
    0% 0 votes
    Every year, maybe
    25% 18 votes
    Every other year.
    14% 10 votes
    Can't remember my last visit
    25% 18 votes
    Dentist? I get drunk and pull bad teeth with a long nose pliers!
    35% 25 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Last year was the first time in 10 years, I had to get 4 fillings and a thorough scraping/cleaning. I am scheduled for cleaning twice a year now. Wisdom teeth are in kind of slanted at the back so I dread when the times comes of their removal, though they are not causing any issues right now. There are a massive amount of rip off merchants in my town, I am happy with my fella though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Went to the dentist there last september. Thought I could see a cavity forming when I checked my teeth in the mirror.

Turned out I needed 4 very small cavities filled :o

I need to go again soon for another checkup/clean

I much prefer to go to the dentist than the doctor. At least if nothing is wrong you still get your teeth cleaned out of it. With the doctor your told your fine and thats it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Last time I went for any kind of regular checkup was probably more than 40 years ago :eek: I have had a couple of 'emergencies' in the intervening years that required a quick visit, but any attempt by them to get me to return to them on any regular basis was soundly rebuffed. Bunch of money grabbing sods, all of them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

At least every 6 months. Had retainers and a brace as a child and don't take any risks as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Was in recently for a good bit of very expensive dental work, probably will go again in 6 months I don't want another filling 10 is far too many as it is. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Its been far too long since ive been to the dentist :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Last time I was at the dentist was when I was in 2nd Year. I had to get 4 teeth pulled before I got my braces.
    He did each tooth separately (i.e. four different visits) The top teeth weren't too bad, but getting the two bottom teeth out was not fun. For the last one, he had to give me the anaesthetic three times because it didn't work the first two times! :( And even after having a needle through my gum three times, the worst bit was the pressure that built up before he yanked the thing out. It was not a pleasant experience :(

I'm still going to the ortho-dontist because I've had to wear a retainer every night since getting my braces off last year. But I haven't gone to a dentist in quite a while (still haven't gotten my wisdom teeth, so hopefully they won't cause problems or I'll have to go back.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Jeez I honestly couldn't tell ya. Have a hole in one tooth that needs filling and have been sitting over it for about 18 months now. Really must get it sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Yeah I'm the same as that Xavi, and now I have a medical card and live in a town there's no excuse, so really must get it done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Jeez I honestly couldn't tell ya. Have a hole in one tooth that needs filling and have been sitting over it for about 18 months now. Really must get it sorted.

I know hindsight is 20/20 but I'd seriously recommend getting that looked at mate. Similar thing happened me. Filling fell out, didn't hurt so never saw a dentist. Then about a year later the tooth cracked. Again, no pain so I never did anything about it. That was about 6 months ago.

Then last week, I woke up and had a lump on my jaw the size of a golf ball. Cue emergency trip to a dentist who put me on 2 antibiotics, 1 anti-inflamatory and sent me to the hospital for x-rays.

Getting the tooth pulled this week. :(

I know, I know...I'm an idiot. It'll be 6 monthly check-ups from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Few years back I think...had a few teeth that had cracked as a kid and one had grown a bit wrong. Took me about 10 years to go get it out.

Glad I did.

Actually been thinking I must go when I get back.Gums are bleeding a bit the last while. Bastids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Forgive me doctor for I have sinned. It's been 1 year since...... :pac:

I went to the dentist a few months back for the first time in about 8 years or more. I had chipped a molar and knew I needed a filling. My teeth weren't the best imo. I was a borderline case for braces when I was younger but I do keep them clean. Nonetheless I was expecting a bit of a bollockin' for the state of them. I was very happy+surprised when told they were in great condition.

I really should go more often. I've no fear of the dentist (unlike my valium popping dad) so I've no reason not to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Haven't been in about 8 or 9 years I'd say. And I'm only 23 :o

With my VHI plan I even get the majority of dental bills paid for so I've no excuse. I don't even have a fear or anything like that. Just always put it on the long finger for some reason!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Ruu wrote: »
    Last year was the first time in 10 years, I had to get 4 fillings and a thorough scraping/cleaning. I am scheduled for cleaning twice a year now. Wisdom teeth are in kind of slanted at the back so I dread when the times comes of their removal, though they are not causing any issues right now. There are a massive amount of rip off merchants in my town, I am happy with my fella though.
    10 years?:confused::confused: Thats bad man!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,824 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Last date: 30/09/2008 - cost €0 (PRSI)
    Previous date: 01/04/2008 - cost €0 (PRSI)

Every 6 months. Regular as clockwork, me :D

I wasn't as good in the past, mind...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,824 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

dkay1985 wrote: »
    Haven't been in about 8 or 9 years I'd say. And I'm only 23 :o

Fixed your username for ya :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Haven't been in ten years. I want to go get the things cleaned I'm afraid how much damage there's going to be. Go soon I guess. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

Getting the tooth pulled this week. :(

Just back from the dentist. Have had a lot more pleasant experiences that's for sure.

And to top it all off they tell me that 2 of my wisdom teeth should really come out as well. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I went to the dentist for the very first time a few months ago, i'm 25 now.

I need one filling, but i need all my wisdom teeth removed. Have yet to do either.

I'm amazed at how teeth deteriorate though, i never had anything to compare to before, but it's been a few months and already there is a small build up of plaque on my lower front teeth. I should be more strict with my flossing:( Especially since those particular teeth are a little loose, i can't let them deteriorate anymore.

Advertisement