Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bonito?

• 29-09-2008 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭

Yesterday I was out at howth and picked up a Bonito (7e a kg so decided to try it) does anybody have any recipe suggestions ps this is a Bonito not a Bonita which from what I've got from the net is a different species, anyway thinking about doing it either this way

http://www.italianeating.eu/RECIPES/main/bonitobakedinfoil/bonitobakedinfoilphoto.htm

or just wrapping in foil with lemon pepper and salt and grilling.

ps also bought some Gurnard any recommendations on cooking this too?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I really hate when fish shops don't label the fish properly.
    They should have the latin name for it on display by law as well as where it was caught etc.
    Now Bonito can be a whole lot of different fish, depending on where it is being used, In Spain Bonito del Norte is Albacore Tuna.(Thunnus alalunga)
    Bonito is also another small tuna with reddish flesh (Sarda sarda)
    Right now is Tuna season and the local fleet are catching Albacore, however what I suspect you have by reason of price is Sarda sarda.
    I would grill it as you suggested, and as it is a strong flavoured fish you could also add other herbs ala mackerel.

Gurnard is nice in a Bouillabaisse or fish stew, I had fried fillets in a 5* Hotel in Cork and they were fantastic.
    Gurnard is one of the most underrated fish IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭RDM_83

Thanks very for that post.
    yeah when I got home and looked on the net I realised that I wasn't actually quiet sure what I had got they were actually were calling them "baby tuna" (bonito) will take a proper look at it when I get home though cos as far as i can remember it doesn't have the stripes the sarda sarda photo's show (so i presume if that is actually Thunnus alalunga 7 euro a kilo is a good price)

ps just looked at Bouillabaisse on wikipedia looks very nice but since I'm not feeding ten people this recipe will have to be scaled down :) though with gurnard being 3e a kg (cheaper than mackrel!) I'm sure I'l be buying more

kilograms of fish and shellfish:
    grondin (eng. sea robin)
    Rascasse blanche (eng. scorpionfish);
    rouget grondin (red Gurnard);
    congre (eng. conger);
    baudroie (lotte, or monkfish);
    saint-pierre (eng. John Dory);
    live octopus[5]
    10 sea urchins
    1 kilogram of potatoes
    7 cloves of garlic
    3 onions
    5 ripe tomatoes
    1 cup of olive oil
    1 bouquet garni
    1 branch of fennel
    8 pistils of saffron
    10 slices of pain de campagne (country bread)
    salt and Cayenne pepper

Advertisement