Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Invoice essentials

Options
  • 29-09-2008 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭

as far as i can see, since i've registered as a sole trader i need to put my own name on my invoices? So if the name i chose was blahblahblah, whats the best way to show my name with this and is it definitely necessary? i think ive to put my rbn # on it too?

so would I have to have at the bottom of the page something like:

Joe Smith trading as BlahBlahBlah, RBN# 123456, VAT# 12345678

Is this definitely necessary to have on my invoices and is this the best way to word it? Just have it at the bottom in small print and then have the business logo and contact details at the top?

i found out too that if you go from a sole trader to a company, you get a new number which is a bit of a pain, means i'd have to reprint invoices books with new number and everything. also found out if you have a sole trader business name, anyone can come along and register that same name as a company. they shouldnt allow that!:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Firstly I put my name – Joe Blogs – don’t bother with the T/a as I don’t use it that much anyway as people know me by name as opposed to the “trading as”.
    Always put contact details and VAT number.
    In terms of the changing to company and having those changes – I use Sage and just amend any ‘standard details’ as are required. Invoices printed from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭NeptunesMoon

Cheers for that. Id defintely prefer to put my trading as name instead as thats the name i go by and the name in the company logo and everything. so do i legally have to have my own name with this name as i described in the first post do you think?

i dont print my invoices from a computer let alone sage, because my work, its best i just keep docket books on me and write them after i do the job for someone but i suppose they arent too expensive to get docket books printed anyway so im sure if i get to the stage of changing to a company i can afford them, just like to know what i definitely need to have on the invoices at the mo though :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Cheers for that. Id defintely prefer to put my trading as name instead as thats the name i go by and the name in the company logo and everything. so do i legally have to have my own name with this name as i described in the first post do you think?

i dont print my invoices from a computer let alone sage, because my work, its best i just keep docket books on me and write them after i do the job for someone but i suppose they arent too expensive to get docket books printed anyway so im sure if i get to the stage of changing to a company i can afford them, just like to know what i definitely need to have on the invoices at the mo though :cool:

No – stick with the mame – as in Joe Bloggs, as in ‘Jasus, lets split, here’s Joe Blogs and I own him money’…….

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Aelfric

NeptunesMoon,

If you've registered a business or trading name, than that's the name under which you have intended to trade, therefore that's the name that goes on your invoice. It's entirely your choice whether or not to put 'Joe Bloggs t/a ...' on your company documentation. Provided the Revenue know the difference, that's all that matters. My wife & I are operating a partnership under a name with no reference to either of our names or initials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

use an invoice numbering system, aswell, add codes for your frequent cumstomers, makes life alot easier when chasing money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Mr Clonfadda

You must register a trading name to use it instead of your name. If you then setup a company you would have to register trading name to company as well. Invoice should have VAT number on (if registered for VAT)
    PLEASE make sure you have all your contact details on. I see lots of invoices without telephone number on :eek:

Advertisement