Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty Lawnmower from B&Q

Options
  • 29-09-2008 3:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Guys - just looking for a bit of advice on this one. I bought a petrol lawn mower from B&Q last Friday. I got it home and used it for literally 10 minutes after which it cut out and I can't get it started again. The cord that you pull to start the engine seems to be locked and won't extend. There is a sticker on the lawnmower that says "Do not take this product back to the shop" - and gives a UK number to ring. I emailed the company concerned and they sent me on a list of service centers I could visit - FFS! I only used the thing for ten minutes!

Anyway, I've been trying to ring B&Q and no answer all day. According to here:
    http://www.consumerassociation.ie/rights_knowrights.html
    When you buy goods from a retailer, you make a contract with him. He agrees to provide certain goods to you for a certain price. If your purchase turns out to be faulty, the retailer, not the manufacturer, is responsible to you and must sort out your complaint. You are entitled to a refund, a replacement or a repair.

My thoughts are now, I paid 300 for this, it worked for less than 20 mins, I don't want another one. Am I within my rights to take it back to B&Q and get my money back?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

tbh wrote: »
    My thoughts are now, I paid 300 for this, it worked for less than 20 mins, I don't want another one. Am I within my rights to take it back to B&Q and get my money back?

when goods are faulty you are within your rights to return it to the store for repair, repalcement or refund.
    the store cannot limit that right.

if you cant get through to the store, just drive it up.
    ring the NCA for more details, their number is on the web link you gave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

tbh wrote: »
    Hi Guys - just looking for a bit of advice on this one. I bought a petrol lawn mower from B&Q last Friday. I got it home and used it for literally 10 minutes after which it cut out and I can't get it started again. The cord that you pull to start the engine seems to be locked and won't extend. There is a sticker on the lawnmower that says "Do not take this product back to the shop" - and gives a UK number to ring. I emailed the company concerned and they sent me on a list of service centers I could visit - FFS! I only used the thing for ten minutes!

Anyway, I've been trying to ring B&Q and no answer all day. According to here:
    http://www.consumerassociation.ie/rights_knowrights.html

Did you put oil in it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭meesa

Just bring it back to the shop where you bought it...I`m sure they will exchange it for you ...I know someone who works there and they have a very good exchange policy.Tells me stories of people who buy tools etc and use them for the weekend and just bring them back with nothing wrong with them saying they didn`t like the item, and B&Q just give them the money back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

yeah I put oil in it alright. I just got through to B&Q there and in fairness to them, they gave me the number of the service center, or said I could drop it back to them and they'll send it out. I'll leave it into B&Q and hope for the best, a bit annoyed that the thing is so temperamental but probably should have researched it a bit better :)

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

craichoe wrote: »
    Did you put oil in it ?
    These things don't come with oil or petrol in it, so as craichoe asked, did you put oil into it? If not, try putting some in. If you have, pretend you never saw the sticker, and bring it back. B&Q are nice to deal with. Got a workbench, was too big, and was able to brought it back next day. Got a no quibble refund. Just bring it back, state your case calmly, and it should be sorted. If you get angry, they'll think something is suspicous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

yeah, to give them their dues, they were fine about it when I spoke to them on the phone.

and I did put oil in it ;)

Advertisement