Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motorbike driving test

• 29-09-2008 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I recently bought a 125 scooter, but someone just told me that the driving test must be done on a motorbike (rather than an automatic scooter). Is this the case, and how would I prepare for a test on a motorbike if I only have a scooter? It is the A1 licence that I'm going for. :confused:

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

I'm in a similar boat fella...I ride a Honda Innova.

It's a 125 but it's not a scooter...it's a cross-over with big wheels and manual gears but the clutch itself is automatic so I can't do the test on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

So how do we do the test? Do they provide a motorbike on the day? You'd think the gob****es would have made a specific category for automatic bikes/scooters.

I'd be a bit worried about passing the test on a geared motorbike, given that I've never driven one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

You can do the test on a scooter but your licence will be restricted to automatics. If you want to do the test on a motorbike you can get lessons and rent a bike from an instructor/driving school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

What Evil Monkey said, you can do the test but you'll be limited to driving automatics and 125 automatics at that.

Your best option is to get some lessons from an instructor who has school bikes, they will hire you a bike for your test, and do it on someone in the A class and not A1 otherwise you'll have to do it again for the A test if you want to ride anything above a 125.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 seanorpen

If you have to ask this type of question then you shouldn't be on the road.

• Advertisement

seanorpen wrote: »

That's a bit harsh tbh.

OP - get some lessons before you do anything else, a couple of hours with an instructor is invaluable both for your safety and for other road users.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Rianaldo1

Guys,
    Can anyone rcommend a good instructor for lessons on a motorbike in the Dublin area. Have a 125cc moped and would like to do the test on a bike in case I want to get a something larger.:rolleyes:

I'd highly recommend Dave Lyons: www.motorbiketraining.net

He's an excellent instructor and has a bike you can use for the lessons and the test.

Wow that's a fantastic contribution to the thread. Give yourself a pat on the back big man.

I definately would like to have my full license under my belt but to do so I'll have to go and get an instructor in the Cork area...time to search methinks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

colm_c wrote: »
    I'd highly recommend Dave Lyons: www.motorbiketraining.net

He's an excellent instructor and has a bike you can use for the lessons and the test.

+1, very good instructor. And has bikes in several places to use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Rianaldo1

Caolm C ,
    Thanks for the help.
    Fabio,
    Best of Luck with the test!!!

Fantastic and helpful first post. Welcome to boards.

Rianaldo1 wrote: »
    Caolm C ,
    Thanks for the help.
    Fabio,
    Best of Luck with the test!!!

Thanks dude!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

good luck with the test :) When u eventually do it - when you check your mirrors (frequently) make sure you move your head A LOT so the dude in the car behind you can see you clearly are - I don't NEED to move my head much (except when looking over my shoulder to change lanes or make a turn) to check my mirrors in general, but they may not notice it, so exaggerate the movement a bit!
    Rider training before the exam is a must - I never did it when I first got my bike so I had a lot of baaaaad habits to work through when I got my pre-test lessons!
    hope it goes well for ye!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

jim o doom wrote: »
    good luck with the test :) When u eventually do it - when you check your mirrors (frequently) make sure you move your head A LOT so the dude in the car behind you can see you clearly are - I don't NEED to move my head much (except when looking over my shoulder to change lanes or make a turn) to check my mirrors in general, but they may not notice it, so exaggerate the movement a bit!
    Rider training before the exam is a must - I never did it when I first got my bike so I had a lot of baaaaad habits to work through when I got my pre-test lessons!
    hope it goes well for ye!

Thanks!

Was going to give it a blast without the lessons, but by the sound of things, I might as well get these pre-test lessons. Once have the bike about a month, so will apply for a test once the 6 months elapses.

Thanks!

Was going to give it a blast without the lessons, but by the sound of things, I might as well get these pre-test lessons. Once have the bike about a month, so will apply for a test once the 6 months elapses.

AFAIK they've brought in new parts to the test. There's a swerve test and braking/slowing down test. Best to get at least one lesson to know what they are looking for as it's not just driving around the block now.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭gears

Sorry I don't mean to hijack the thread but can any one recomend someone who can give lessons and rent a bike in the Waterford/Wexford area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

another hijack here I'm afraid.

I'm going to be getting a bike soon and was wondering what the best option was for driving on a provisionl untill I do the full test.

I was looking at the honda cg125 but to be honest I would prefere to get the 250 shadow. Would the 250 shadow be learner legal with a restriction on it? The VT125 is also an option. Can't seem to find the KW rating on them though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,574 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

AFAIK nearly all bikes are learner legal once it has a restrictor fitted so you could pick up a 400 or 650?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

TheDriver wrote: »
    AFAIK nearly all bikes are learner legal once it has a restrictor fitted so you could pick up a 400 or 650?

Really? That would be great if that's the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭finto

Del2005 wrote: »
    AFAIK they've brought in new parts to the test. There's a swerve test and braking/slowing down test. Best to get at least one lesson to know what they are looking for as it's not just driving around the block now.

I done my test last week, there was no swerve or braking test. Basically, question inside, questions outside about he bike, take off stand, walk with bike. Drive with bike then U-turn. Thats was it

One think I would say about the test, make sure you are progressive in your driving, dont hang about, accelerate steadily all the time. If he sees confidence its a big plus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bmcgov86

its all a joke. ive been waiting for my test for a year(churchtown centre) so i decided i had enough and got a 400cc which quinn insured me on! happy days!;)

bmcgov86 wrote: »
    its all a joke. ive been waiting for my test for a year(churchtown centre) so i decided i had enough and got a 400cc which quinn insured me on! happy days!;)

I was waiting nearly as long. Got a lesson with Dave Lyons near the end of Sep, was going to call after about test, and he told me about the new test. Rang up later that day,Thursday, and had a test Monday morning. When I asked about a later date she said it was the last batch of bike tests in Churchtown for a couple of months. I'd definitely ring them as I wouldn't have got a date without calling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭contact23

just passed me test after getting lessons, wouldnt have passed witout them for sure!

Advertisement