Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appeal ban

Options
  • 29-09-2008 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭

Good day all.

I have been banned for allegedly insulting another member with this post:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57409845&postcount=25

There is no insult in that post. The point is it takes a certain type of person to drive a convertible.

I have PM'd the mod in question and because he has never obliged me in the past (to unlock locked threads etc), I am posting here as I do not expect him to oblige this time.

Thank you for your time.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

VH wrote: »
    There is no insult in that post.

No?

Then can you please explain to me exactly what you meant by the below comment:
    VH wrote:
    i don't think it's because of what youre not - more a case of what you are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

Beruthiel wrote: »
    No?
    No. There is no insult.
    Then can you please explain to me exactly what you meant by the below comment:
    What I meant was brave, or even reckless or extrovert etc

If someone sees an insult in that post please let me know.

What I meant was brave, or even reckless or extrovert etc

Sorry. But on a second reading, I'm still not seeing how that was implied.
    What I, and most others reading it would see is you are questioning that persons sexuality.

What??

Anan1 was talking about not being insecure. Sexuality never came into it.

Hi, is here any way to get this speeded up? I'd like to get back to contributing posts to boards. Thanks.

• Advertisement

I will draw peasants attention to this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Hi, is here any way to get this speeded up? I'd like to get back to contributing posts to boards. Thanks.

As far as I am concerned, my decision stands.
    Your post was made with the intent to insult Anan1. While reading the post on its own may allow for the interpretation that you give it in retrospect (brave, extrovert, etc), reading the post in context of the original thread flow and timing, there is no doubt in my mind that it was meant as an insult in just the way Beruthiel has read it as well.

Unless an admin / Smod orders me to overturn the ban (or overturns it themselves), I'll see you on motors in a month.

Ok, thanks, but peasant is already aware of this thread.

I would just like to point out that what a mod thinks was implied does not amount to actually insulting someone.

EDIT: peasant and I responded at the same time. Unless peasant has mind reading abilities he can only guess what was meant. The fact remains that sexuality never arose and the fact that I goaded kbannon about having the balls to drive a convertible around his neighbourhood are proof.

I would just like to point out that what a mod thinks was implied does not amount to actually insulting someone.

As I said already, I also took your comment as an insult.

Beruthiel wrote: »
    As I said already, I also took your comment as an insult.
    As I said what anyone thinks was implied does not actually constitute an insult. As well as that I implied Anan1 was what kbannon said he was.

• Advertisement

I have spoken to Anan1 and with his permission I am posting the PMs here. As he says, he was not insulted.
    Anan1 wrote:
    VH wrote:
    Hey there. Hope you don't mind me PM'ing you, but could I draw your attention to this thread on the Helpdesk about me getting a 1 month ban from motors:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055388048

Could I ask you a couple of things:
    1. I wasn't levelling an insult at you when I posted that comment I wasn't but would appreciate your thoughts? Did you feel I was?
    2. After having read the thread do you think it adequetly explains that I was not insulting you, especially in the light of kbannon's big willy comments?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

To be honest, I wasn't sure at the time whether you meant me in particular or people in general. Not being sure exactly what you meant, I gave you the benefit of the doubt. On the other hand, the whole 'extrovert, reckless' thing really doesn't fly - I had the distinct impression that you were implying that only a gay man would drive that car.

If i'd been the mod rather than the 'target', I think i'd have given you a warning rather than a ban though, as you said, impressions aren't proof.

I wasn't insulted, but someone else might have been. And of course i'm no angel myself when it comes to the insults.;)

Hope this helps,

Anan

Anan1 wrote:
    On the other hand, the whole 'extrovert, reckless' thing really doesn't fly - I had the distinct impression that you were implying that only a gay man would drive that car.

Despite everything you say, that's exactly how your comment reads.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I have spoken to Anan1 and with his permission I am posting the PMs here. As he says, he was not insulted.
    Whether the poster was insulted or not is irrelevant. The rule is enforced to prevent that kind of crap from becoming the norm on the forum. If you appear to get away with it, then someone else will think they can get away with it.

Ok, I would like to make a few closing statements.

The reason given for banning me from Motors was that I insulted another member. These are the facts:
    1. I said nothing insulting.
    2. Mods think I implied an insult.
    3. The other party said he was not insulted.
    4. The notion of sexuality was brought up by mods and is being perpuated by mods. There is no proof that I implied anything do to with sexuality.

Therefore no insult exists. Therefore the reason for my banning does not exist.

In addition I would also like to add that many contributors to Motors feel that peasant over-moderates and are not happy with his moderation. This was evidenced by the recent poll on the Motors forum and voiced by several Motors members, including myself. Many of those people have reduced their contributions or have left the forum altogether.

I see my banning over an insult that doesn't exist as more dubious moderating by peasant. If the ban is left to stand then the Motors forum will have lost yet another contributor permanently due to silly moderating by peasant. boards does not have a monopoly on motoring forums in Ireland.

Advertisement