Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match Thread: AaB Aalborg v Man Utd [All Pre/During/After Match Discussion]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Hurray for Berbs and hurray for me for making him captain in my team. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Rooney coming off injured now. Not a good night injury wise

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

giftwrapped. hopefully we'll get a few more.

Knew ligament damage for Scholes apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

bennyx_o wrote: »
    Knew ligament damage for Scholes apparently

ya... was just about to post that

****ing hell thats very very bad news :mad::(

dammit

Rafael off injured too now, not the biggest loss but it's still a loss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

bennyx_o wrote: »
    Rafael off injured too now, not the biggest loss but it's still a loss
    Are you implying he didnt play well, cause he was class, got a great future ahead of him.

Bill wrote: »
    Are you implying he didnt play well, cause he was class, got a great future ahead of him.

he's implying (i think)

that we have cover for right back

for scholes we dont

Was the Tevez goal ruled out for handball? I thought it came off his back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Harpy

woohoo..go on berba!! nice goal

yes another goal by berba

yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Bill wrote: »
    Not at all! I think he had a very good game, but we have some decent cover for right back.

Second goal for Berbatov, nice finish from him

Sweet goal by Berbatov. :cool:

the nani waster strikes again

Good to see Berba get a few goals, hopefully it'll help him settle into the club and some decent performances will follow. can't get over Nani though. I hope he makes it in the end but it'll be a long hard road for all of us :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Great ball by berbatov, Ronaldo shouldve scored

jaykay74 wrote: »
    . can't get over Nani though. I hope he makes it in the end but it'll be a long hard road for all of us :rolleyes:

he needs alot of work

lot more than Ronaldo needed

id very much dought it will happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Match nearly over! Berba worth ever cent of the 30 odd million we paid for him...

MIN2511 wrote: »
    Match nearly over! Berba worth ever cent of the 30 odd million we paid for him...

remember the match was against Aalborg

bit to early mate to say "worth every cent"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Well, job done. Not too much more than that, but who cares tbh. It'd be harsh to criticise the performance too much when the players never had to get out of second gear. If Aalborg posed any sustained threat I'm sure United would've been able to raise their game accordingly. If there was a disappointing aspect it's that the game could've finished 5 or 6 nil with a little more quality in finishing.

Rooney was excellent I thought, before he got injured. Rafael had a great night. The defence tidied up everything that came near them, with Ferdinand in particular standing out. Berbatov looked like a different player after he scored, as if all the pressure to score his first goal had lifted. He took his second goal very well, and would've had an assist from a superb pass had Ronaldo done better when he went one-on-one with the keeper. Nani had one of his frustrating nights though :/

Two wins on the trot without getting anywhere near the players' best. Definitely more to come from United.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Nani has regressed massively this year, seems to have lost so much. Hoping its temporary, but jesus, shocking performance, shocking.

Piss easy game with nothing much going on for the win. 3 points, move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

"A Frank Lampard", get a grip Dunphy.

Lampard is not a leader either!

The injuries are starting to mount up and are a bit of a worry. International break coming up though. wonder how long Scholes will be out for ? I don't think he will play anytime soon. hopefully carrick will be back after international break and that hargreaves they are just being cautious with. we'll see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Almost as crazy a statement as people questioning him after only three games.

Good night results wise. Some good performances from Rooney while he was on, Rafeal looked going toward little exposed going the other way but that's to be expected especially with little protection in front of him. Berb took his goals well. Ronaldo getting better each game.

Nani was shocking, and hasn't impressed me at all this year. Which is disappointing as I was really hoping for him to push on this year. Unfortunatly that hasn't happened. It's impossible to say wether or not he will make it at Utd but he has a long way to go based on this season so far and i'm not sure how many chances Fergie will be willing to give him.

VDS also looked dodgy on the one thing he had to do in the first half. He should have been catching that ball every time.

Anyway good signs that our season/team is starting to click. However all that progress could be lost if scholes and Rooney are out for long. Without scholes and Carrick we really are missing a link from defence to attack. Everyone already knows how important Rooney is to making our attack tick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Fair play to Berba, took both goals well, particularly the second one. I don't think fergie will be too impressed with the overall performance, but (as PHB says) who cares. 3 points, that's all that counts.

I actually get Dunphy with his Lampard comment (allthough way off the mark) he could've phrased it better if he said Gerrard or Roy Keane.

You don't expect much for 30 mill :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Pffft, Berbatov only scored two goals today against Aalborg... He's rubbish...... :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Couldn't listen to Dunphy any longer. Nani needs to sort it out - the one thing that worries me most is how good his corner kicks were last season - quite poor tonight.

Our midfield really didn't have any control all night once scholes went off - O'Shea/Giggs is not what I want to see when a fit Anderson is on the bench - poor lad must be wondering what he has to do to get on - and against opposition like that he could have been devastating.

Otherwise, a lot of positives - Berb off the mark, happy days, looked a lot livelier after his goals too, less strolling around and more hunger - look forward to seeing him kick on from tonight.

Take the three points home, but I'd leave the lacklustre performance behind tbh.

Anderson is being rested for Blackburn I would imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Couldn't listen to Dunphy any longer. .

Gilesy and Souness don't know where to look when he starts bigging them up, do they. :D

As well as Berbatov looking good and getting off the mark, nobody is really mentioning Rafael? Thought he looked promising (albeit against sh*t opposition) until he came off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

How long are Rooney and Scholes likely to be out for? Rafael was great, I'd hate to see him out for a while!
    I'm so excited to see what Berbatov will be like in the coming months!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

stovelid wrote:
    As well as Berbatov looking good and getting off the mark, nobody is really mentioning Rafael? Thought he looked promising (albeit against sh*t opposition) until he came off.
    Defo - but again an important factor was that he had very little defending to do - any kind of decent left winger will cause him problems but they he is capable of causing them back. Great for a young lad and certainly very exciting going forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Didn't see it but heard Scholes = knee ligament damage. Time to see how good Anderson really is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

Double post, somehow.. Sorry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

remember the match was against Aalborg

bit to early mate to say "worth every cent"

Not early dear... I believe there is more to come
    Almost as crazy a statement as people questioning him after only three games.
    Not a crazy statement, we won he scored 2 goals!
    jaykay74 wrote: »
    You don't expect much for 30 mill :D

I expect results like last season:pac:
    eZe^ wrote: »
    Pffft, Berbatov only scored two goals today against Aalborg... He's rubbish...... :pac::pac::pac::pac:

Hmmm... like it's easy to score 2 goals in one match:rolleyes:

I must add Rafael played well, i didn't watch much of the match but i saw him get that yellow card. Don't think he deserved it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

VDS didn't have to do much, but he was a bit bogey again today... Poor kickouts and why tf did he not catch that ball early on?
    Defense was a bit sloppy joe today, but Rafael was amazing IMO. Really impressed by him, both defensively and offensively.
    Bad news about Scholes and Rooney, hopefully Rooney's at least won't be long-term.
    Great to see Berbatov get off the mark, can't say I was overly impressed with his performance in general though.
    Ronaldo was pretty poor today... You could see he desperately wanted a goal, and had a couple of chances to do it.
    Nani had an absolute stinker. Wouldn't have surprised me if he came off for Anderson, but Rafa forced Fergie's hand with Brown.

Overall, some positives, and a good result, but we should really have trounced them.

Aalborg are one of the worst teams I've seen us play against.

gosplan wrote: »
    Didn't see it but heard Scholes = knee ligament damage. Time to see how good Anderson really is.

Anderson made United fans love him when this exact thing happened last year, and Anderson put in some stellar performances to deal with the loss of Scholes. Him and Hargreaves imo is our best central midfield partnership.

3 wins on the trot with 8 goals (1 conceded) including 2 for Berba, Ronaldo and Rooney and still to hit anything like top gear. Roll on Saturday. :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

PHB wrote: »
    Anderson made United fans love him when this exact thing happened last year, and Anderson put in some stellar performances to deal with the loss of Scholes. Him and Hargreaves imo is our best central midfield partnership.

I saw him play in the youth world cup before Utd and thought he would be an excellent player(and far superior to Nani) but he's never impressed me that much at Utd. Seems to play well in fits and starts. Perhaps a first team place will change that.

• Advertisement

saw on sky sports news that paul scholes is out for 2 months

bloody hell

worst player to loose

now we need hargreaves fit to partner anderson

any word on hargreaves

Good result, bad for injuries. Glad Berbs off the mark and Rooney is building momentum.

Rafael was lookin feckin deadly until he went off. If they can do to him what they Evra's natural talent I'll be VERY happy....and Fabio is meant to be better!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Rafael was lookin feckin deadly until he went off. If they can do to him what they Evra's natural talent I'll be VERY happy....and Fabio is meant to be better!!

he looked great attackin, but he is a defender, and he wasnt god in defence, i kno there wasnt much to go on but im not gettin too excited, i think he is a very good player but he isnt fightin for first team just yet, we need a good defender who can go forward, not a good attacker who is lackluster in defence!

He was good in defense. Their left winger wasn't up to much, but how many times did Rafa nick the ball off him easily and go flying up the wing?! Plenty of times he initiated an attack by dispossessing an Aalborg player on the left.

If Gaz Neville is back in the first team, then Rafa is in with a shout too IMO.

I'd still have Brown ahead of him though for the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

United were pretty meh tbh

Rafael looked like a great attacking force but neglected to get back to his right back position quick enough, and a number of times was caught out. that will go from his game though.

ronaldo did a lot of work for the team, imo, and impressed me. set up berbatov well too.

how did berbatov miss that first chance though, shocking.

that was nowhere near united's strongest team though.

good three points, bad for injuries, nice to see berbatov off the mark.

Des wrote: »
    ronaldo did a lot of work for the team, imo, and impressed me. set up berbatov well too.

Yea actually that has to be highlighted. Maybe Fergie has asked him to do more whenever both himself and Berbatov are on the pitch.

Berba took his chances well but it annoys me that his laziness can extend even to when we are in possession as opposed to just not being arsed trackin back.

Rafael obviously looked good going forward but bar one time I can't remember him getting skinned defensively.......I think some people are being a bit too harsh there. He performed very well defensively against Downing last week for what it's worth.

• Advertisement

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid=%7BF9E570E6%2D407E%2D44BC%2D800F%2D4A3110258114%7D&newsid=6619559

Berbatov plays it cool

We're quickly learning that Dimitar Berbatov is a laid-back character, but the relaxed celebration that followed his first United goal against Aalborg and his description of his acrobatic second as “a tap-in” takes cool to a new level.

“I knew that my first goal would come sooner or later,” he said, ultra-relaxed after United’s 3-0 win in Denmark on Tuesday.

The Bulgarian spurned a chance to score his first Reds goal after just six minutes in the Group E clash, volleying wide from eight yards. But he remained unfazed and grew in stature as the game progressed.

Berbatov eventually found the net when he pounced on a defensive error to rifle home United’s second goal on 55 minutes. “I’m pleased to help my team win, that’s the most important thing,” he said. “But I’m happy [to score my first United goal].”

His second goal showed the elegance that led to United parting with £30million to sign him this summer. From Cristiano Ronaldo’s he hit the ball on the bounce with an exquisite scissor kick. “It’s a goal like any other,” he shrugged. “It was a tap-in and that was it, 3-0.”

Rio Ferdinand was pleased to see his new team-mate open his Reds account. "It was a good result," he told ITV Sport. "We knew it would be tough and that we'd have to pass the ball well and take our chances. It was good to see Berba get two goals to get him off the mark. Hopefully now we can go full steam ahead."

Modest as ya like :D The other one ya missed was a tap-in too though! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Berbs reminds me alot of RVN with his tracking back so it doesn't bother me too much. Rafael looks decent if a little on the short side. Maybe give him a run in the CC in right mid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Delighted with the 3 points. The performance was abit under par but any away win in europe is always a good nights work. You could see Berbatov playing so much better when he scored his first goal, his touch was fantastic and he played some beautiful passes particullary when he put Ronaldo in 1 on 1 with the keeper. So its great to see him get off the mark relatively early in his United career. Rafael was impressive on his CL debut, very lively on the ball. God knows what Brown has done to piss Fergie off, but something must have gone down.

The loss of Scholsey and Rooney is disappointing. Rooney really cant get abit of luck at all, just when he is back from one injury and beginning to show abit of form and goals he gets another injury, very frustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

what happened Rooney? :confused:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I can no longer listen to Ray Houghton, my head was officially done-in last night.

Great 3 points for Utd, superb 2nd by Berba. Wasn't overly impressed by them and it wasn't a great game for a neutral but job done.

• Advertisement
Advertisement