Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Risotto - How much chicken stock/wine?

• 29-09-2008 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

Hi,

I'd like to cook Risotto for dinner tonight and was just wondering how much chicken stock/wine I would need for 2 people based on 75g of carnaroli rice per person.

Any help would be much appreciated?

Regards,

Mark.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I'd usually use a glass of wine, then boil up a good bit of stock - and use what I need! At least a pint anyway, you can't really say for certain I suppose. You could always use boiling water if you run out of stock - good idea to keep the kettle on just in case.
    Remember that that stock is going to be reduced down too - so it can get a bit overpowering or salty (depending on what you're using)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

olaola wrote: »
    I'd usually use a glass of wine, then boil up a good bit of stock - and use what I need! At least a pint anyway, you can't really say for certain I suppose. You could always use boiling water if you run out of stock - good idea to keep the kettle on just in case.
    Remember that that stock is going to be reduced down too - so it can get a bit overpowering or salty (depending on what you're using)

Thats about right, although I would go with about a pint and a half just to be on the safe side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

About 350ml of stock and a glass of white wine. A lot depends on the size of the pot it is cooked in. Some stock will be lost to evaporation and some will be absorbed by the rice - a larger surface area as in a frying pan and you will need more stock. Also depends on the finish you like - soupy or dry. Either way better to have too much rather than not enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭EireEV

Thanks Guys - much appreciated.

Going for Risotto again tonight guys (practice makes perfect). This time I'm using fish and hence fish stock - I bought some saffron also and was just wondering how much I should use for 2 people (I have 40G of Saffron).

Thanks.

EireEV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

40g? That's a life-time supply! 'A pinch' is the normal amount to use.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

EireEV wrote: »
    (I have 40G of Saffron).

I really can't say but having cooked with saffron in the past I'd suggest you measure saffron buy the 'thread' as opposed to the gramme.

Sorry Guys it's 0.4g doh !!

Advertisement