Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it worth getting motorised

• 29-09-2008 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

HI all i asked a similar question before (but also about linux receivers)I have hotbird eutelsat 16 astra 19.2 and astra 28 is it worth getting a motor.I have a 1.1m dish what else can i pick up.Cheers;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

About 22 satellites.

See footprints between about 45E and 50W for Ku on www.lyngsat.com atlantic and Europe, and frequencies.

Not all optically visible satellites (maybe over 30) have beams that work here. Some satellites may have several beams/footprints and only one working here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I had a 1.3 meter motorised Triax on the side of the house and I would have to re-align it at least four times a year because of gale-force winds knocking it off.

I got sick of it so I replaced it with a static 28cm on the chimney pointing at 28.2 just for the UK freeview channels.

Unless you have a specific station you want to see, I'd say no. There's an awful lot of guff out there and the novelty value of watching feeds soon wares off (for me anyway).

Some of the stuff on the arabsats is interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

I have to agree with DublinWriter.. there is soo much rubbish out there, high compression and bad sound that looks like old video tapes that have been copied over and over.
    Its good if you just love zapping from channel to channel...Mind you cost of going motorized is not that big so you might give it a go if you fancy.
    For me its no-no since i want to be able to watch different channels in 3 rooms. But if you have only one feed into one room then maybe you should try.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭stevethesatguy

A fully installed Motorised System is a bit like having it all and paying for none of it ( apart from initial cost )

Whatever Sport/Movie you want will be on somewhere and possibly free or viewable.

If you even think maybe then i would say Go For it, I have had a Diseqc Motorised Dish for over 5 years and I still watch it every day.

In 6 years i have had to replace the Diseqc motor once ( cost €90 )

The Dish has never needed to be realigned and I live in an exposed site in the far west, Windmill country.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭decdev

ok thanks to all for info;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I have cake and eat it.

1.1m motorised AND a 90cm with 4 x Quattro LNBs and 16way distribution switch for 28.2E, 19E, 13E and 23.5E. A toriod T90 would be better for that.

Advertisement