Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

UCD Public Meeting on Anarchism

• 29-09-2008 4:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

Talk and Slideshow on the history and current state of the anarchist movement in Ireland.

Anarchism and Ireland: An Introduction

1pm
    Thursday, 2nd October 2008
    Room G102
    Arts Block
    UCD

more info - ucdanarchists@gmail.com

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Bit overly organised for Anarchists, n'est pas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

jesus,who let these guys on campus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Saw the flyers around Arts for these guys, it said they're looking to form an anarchist society?

I guess even anrchists have to work with the system and book rooms though :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭spudington16

+1
    fatal wrote: »

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

Anarchism can roughly divided into two main schools of thought - Individualist and Social.

Individualist anarchists would be against all forms of organisation and authority.

However, social anarchists, particularly libertarian communists in the platform* tradition, (which many of us are) would be heavily in favour of organisation, albeit in a non-hierarchical, democratic matter.

*The Platform has 4 key organizational features which separate it from the rest of the anarchist movement. They are:
    • Tactical Unity
    • Theoretical Unity
    • Collective Responsibility
    • Federalism

more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarchist_schools_of_thought

• Advertisement

fatal wrote: »

All of our members study or work on campus. I don't see see your point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭bnt

1968 wrote: »
    Anarchism can roughly divided into two main schools of thought - Individualist and Social.
    No time for Anarcho-Syndicalism, then?

Were you around in 1968? I hear your fellow students had a bit of fun in Paris about that time... :cool:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Aren't these fuckers the reason the buildings on campus are so industrial-looking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Depends how much stock you put in Urban Legends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I suppose it doesn't occur to them that without the central government and their taxes, free 3rd level education would be a dream?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Individualist anarchists would be against all forms of organisation and authority.

However, social anarchists, particularly libertarian communists in the platform* tradition, (which many of us are) would be heavily in favour of organisation, albeit in a non-hierarchical, democratic matter.

*The Platform has 4 key organizational features which separate it from the rest of the anarchist movement. They are:
    • Tactical Unity
    • Theoretical Unity
    • Collective Responsibility
    • Federalism

more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarchist_schools_of_thought

Fair enough so.

I looked a bit up on the differences there, and have to say that half of them seem to absolutely barmy free-marketeers and the others are wannabe communists.

But different strokes for different folks. :)

Perhaps there are lessons for the rest of us to learn from it but I'd probably disagree with you on almost every issue. Such are the vagaries of life. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

All of our members study or work on campus. I don't see see your point.

it wasn't a point.It was a question.Calm down!!

bnt wrote: »
    No time for Anarcho-Syndicalism, then?

Were you around in 1968? I hear your fellow students had a bit of fun in Paris about that time... :cool:

Anarcho-Syndicalism is included in the three main trends of social anarchism, the other two being Collectivist Anarchism and Anarchist Communism.

In terms of UCDanarchists, we've had one individual who has gotten in contact who's an anarcho-syndicalist and a member of the IWW*.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IWW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

So is there an anarchist society?

Sean_K wrote: »
    So is there an anarchist society?

Our eventual goal is to set one up on campus. The process is quite tedious though.

If you've any interest in getting involved or want to know more about anarchism, you should come along on Thursday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

If you've any interest in getting involved or want to know more about anarchism, you should come along on Thursday.
    Sorry, I'm washing my hair that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

I'm already a member of an anarcho-syndicalist commune.
    dtp3.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Nice, fish-head, nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I know quite a few people from Workers Solidarity. I have a lot of time for them re commitment.

I wish you luck 1968. I may pop in to some of the meetings. I'm CPI by the way.

Advertisement