Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pocket chess console

• 29-09-2008 5:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I am looking for a decent pocket chess machine to play on train that won't disturb other people, and is of reasonable standard.

Anybody ever play the Excalibur LCD Computer Chess?
    Is it any good?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

I don't know any specific brands but any time I saw one it seemed to be surprisingly slow. Maybe they've got faster, they certainly should have, but this is one thing you should bear in mind. It might be frustrating waiting a couple of minutes for it to move, especially when it has only one reasonable move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Suder

If you have an ipod you can get the chess game for it in the itunes store for €5! A bargain! You can also get them for your mobile phone.

If you are pure serious look for Novag Chess computers, top quality, big money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

The ds has a chess game as well. I do not know what its rating is though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

Suder do you have any more details about the mobile phone chess game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

banjobongo wrote: »

The Excalibur LCD Computer Chess is complete cr*p. Bought it. Difficult to use and slow. No fun. complete waste of money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Suder

banjobongo wrote: »

There are a multitude of mobile chess games, if you type "mobile phone chess" into your search bar you will get loads of options. There is even a Kasparaov mobile phone chess game!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

I used to have chessmaster on my phone. It was rubbish. In each opening it played the same 10-15 moves so after a while you could always win easily. lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

check out
    http://www.chessexchange.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=28

the gist is get a cheap palmtop and run a chess program, there are free chess programs out there and some very good paid for ones!

On the pocket PC there is

CT-Art for tactics training and generally killing time
    Fritz 2 - for humiliation
    Chess Genius - a nice all rounder
    Various online capable chess programs - but not good for online play on ICC or FICS

There are some options for a Palm as well - Heirarcs I think.

The other bonus of getting a palmtop is that you can read ebooks, do emails, watch a video, listen to music etc.

Another option worth thinking about is getting an ipod touch or iphone there are some chess programs coming out for that platform also - Caissia is the best at the moment.

Most dedicated handhelds are disapointing in terms of screen quality and cannot be upgraded. I have a Maestro lying aroung somewhere sans manual if you (first shout) or anybody else wants it.

Advertisement